Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Do tyres go off?
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I've got some Super Tacky Minions that I bought last year for the Whistler bike park. They still have plenty of tread on them (I was mainly riding xc stuff out there) and it seems a shame to ditch them if they are still fine. I am going again in July, and this time spending all my time in the bike park.

I have used them a couple of times since, but for the last 7 months they have been residing in my closet.

jedi

not in that time!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Jedi speaks the truth, if they are cracked & dry then ditch them, if not then they are fine IMO.

Cheers.

kimbers

if theyve been in the dark should be fine

UV will break down the bonds quicker

edit
    doesnt mean you must only do night rides?!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Wouldn't even cross my mind until about 5 years.

myheadsashed

Back in the day you used to leave road tubs to mature before putting them on.

Alot of tyres spend more than 7mths in the bike shop 😆

ex-pat
    Free Member

I've recently put some panaracer tyres on bike that I purchased in 2003, rode for a few years and then took off and hung up in the garage.
    Plenty of tread left on them, and they're fine in terms of age.
    In fact, most if not all of my tyres are 5+ years old – I've made do since moving to Aus and having two kids.
    Actually, I make do with a lot of old bike kit – and it works very well indeed in the main.
    Prefer to spend my pennies on my kids.

MarkN
    Free Member

I have some on my hack bike that must be about 20 years old by now. I would not pound it down the hills but they are fine for getting the kids to school etc. The tubes are just as old and they are holding air nicely as well.

daveaasmith
    Free Member

The Tioga Farmer John's Nephew I have hanging on my garage wall has certainly gone off 😆

Yes, they're dangerous and will explode and kill you.
    Send them to me and I will dispose of them safely. 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Do tyres go off?’ is closed to new replies.