Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Do travellers pay their taxes?
  • TuckerUK
    Free Member

Member ‘Northwind’ recently posted that it was ‘a simple lie’ that ‘travellers’ (I refuse to use the word ‘Gypsies’ because they are a race) ‘pay no taxes’.

Sadly, or conveniently (depending on your bent), the thread was closed before anyone could challenge this statement.

So let’s look at the facts shall we?

According to http://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/community/travellers/faq.htm

It is true that Travellers do not pay rent or council tax on unauthorised camping sites, as they are not legally allowed to reside there.’ My emphasis.

How about VAT?

Some houses down our road have had drives laid by vehicles emanating form an unauthorised ‘travellers’ site. All the bills were paid cash, no trading names or VAT details were provided.

So, I guess you could indeed argue that ‘travellers’ do pay some taxes (i.e. when buying stuff they might pay the VAT we all pay), but it is also true that many don’t pay other taxes that apply to law abiding folk (i.e. don’t routinely break the civil offence of trespass).

yunki
    Free Member

I think that without blustering codshite that you learned from bias sources the thinking man would have to admit that maybe some travellers.. like some settled people.. don’t pay taxes..

I went to school with at least seven different traveller families (that I knew of)..
    I am still in touch with a couple of them and categorically state that I would be shocked if they and their extended families did not pay taxes the same as we do..

bigG
    Free Member

Really, is one closed thread on this kind of topic not enough for one day? Let’s just leave it and move on,

yossarian
    Free Member

Do MP’s fiddle their expenses?
    Do bankers pay themselves massive bonuses?

tinribz
    Free Member

If being a traveller is so great why don’t you join up?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Do travellers pay their taxes?

Haaaa Haaaar! Ha Ha HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAA!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAAAHAAHAAAAHAHHAHHAA!!!!!!!

bullheart
    Free Member

Really, is one closed thread on this kind of topic not enough for one day? Let’s just leave it and move on

Keep quiet. I’ve just opened some biscuits. 😉

allthepies
    Free Member

Do they claim benefits ?

IanMunro
    Free Member

For them or the slaves?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I met an Asian member of the travelling community in Norwich. He was concerned about the abuse of the NHS by immigrant bankers.

tang
    Free Member

Its the top end who avoid the tax.

Jamie
    Free Member

Are slaves tax deductible?

yossarian
    Free Member

It depends what colour they are.

I don’t see what the problem is tbh. Pikeys have a reputation to think of. They can’t be selling lucky ‘eather, playing the banjo, cattle rustling and robbing banks without some sort of domestic assistance.

yunki
    Free Member

thinking about it.. those travellers I know possibly don’t pay taxes..

why do we pay our taxes though..?

Is it out of a pious sense of moral justice or is it just pure flock mentality and cowardice..?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Do massive corporations regularly avoid paying tax? Y’know, like Vodafone…

Do many STWers buy stuff from abroad, thus avoiding having to pay import duties and stuff…?

Jamie
    Free Member

I do love it when the shitty actions of one group are used to validate the shitty actions of another group.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I met an Irish mayn in Bristol. He was concerned about the confusion between Plymouth Argyle and Yeovil Town kits.

totalshell

all of the above are doing wrong it doesnt make it right, if we want a just and fair society we all have to do and pay our bit.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

And Real Betis.

Northwind

TuckerUK – Member

Member ‘Northwind’ recently posted that it was ‘a simple lie’ that ‘travellers’ (I refuse to use the word ‘Gypsies’ because they are a race) ‘pay no taxes’.

Yes I did. And yes, of course it is, as you admit yourself. Cool thread bro!

grum
    Free Member

It is true that Travellers do not pay rent or council tax on unauthorised camping sites

Dont some live on authorised sites though, implying that they do pay council tax?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Deportivo Cali?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I do love it when the shitty actions of one group are used to validate the shitty actions of another group.

I think they are being used to suggest that it doesn’t make sense to single out one group, in this case travellers, for their tax avoidance/evasion. Singling them out in this way seems to be a rationale for what sounds very much like casual racism.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Some do, some don’t. Who cares, it’d be a small amount compared to what is legally avoided anyway.

Confused as to why the OP started a new thread to counter the original statement, then agreed with it in his own post. What a tool 😆

IanMunro
    Free Member

Dont some live on authorised sites though, implying that they do pay council tax?

Only a small percentage, though the amount lost appears to be peanuts in the grand scale of thing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1502866/Most-travellers-dodge-council-tax.html

grtdkad

It is true that Travellers do not pay rent or council tax on unauthorised camping sites

‘travellers’ on a permanent site. Immobile.
    Not travelling = Not traveller

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Hmm…

The Tories estimate that the amount lost annually is £730,000.

(Note the use of the word ‘estimate’; ie, no actual figure to support the argument)

Even if it were true, How does £730,000 compare to, say, six billion that Vodafone got away with avoiding? Or even the amount STWers avoid in import duty etc on Chris King Headsets bought from US websites?

And that’s just one company.

Still, easier to pick on an already marginalised minority than huge global corporations with massive economic and political influence, eh?

yossarian
    Free Member

Little people feel good when they can feel superior to someone else.

oldgit
    Free Member

Not all ‘businesses’ are required to be VAT registered.

Anyway it’s the dimwits that pay cash for work like that without asking questions that keeps the whole dodgy economy going.

yunki
    Free Member

Not travelling = Not traveller

RichPenny
    Free Member

£730k is less than one of my friends has avoided paying in income tax last year! What a banker 😯

IanMunro
    Free Member

Little people feel good when they can feel superior to someone else.

So we’re all little people compared to Hitler?

Godwin FTW 🙂

Or even the amount STWers avoid in import duty etc on Chris King Headsets bought from US websites?

Quite true. Plus I bet hardly anyone on here will own up to the slave they keep under the stairs either.

oldgit
    Free Member

Would that be EvenRicherPenny?

sc-xc

I thought pikeys were accepted now, since Paddy won Big Brother. Did I miss a memo?

yunki
    Free Member

less than a century ago these people were a common and even welcome sight on our roadsides.. but our attitudes changed

neallyman
    Free Member

Elfin. Comparing vodafone to travellers is cheap sensationalism. Vodafone employ many thousands of UK citizens, pay them a wage, NI contributions etc and that wage is then ploughed back through the economy as the employees spend their hard earned pennies, pay their income taxes etc. Just how are you comparing that to what travellers contribute?

And stop talking about CK headsets bought from the US avoiding ‘import duty’. There will be 20% vat + an import charge levied to it at the point of customs, payable by the recipient before he can get it from royal mail/parcelforce.

Thread lock sweepstake.
    I’ll go for 46 posts.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Plus I bet hardly anyone on here will own up to the slave they keep under the stairs either.

Nah, mine’s in the loft.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Just how are you comparing that to what travellers contribute?

I think he was comparing the 6000000000 that Vodafone does not pay in tax to the 730000 that the travellers do not pay in tax. When you see it like that, one of those problems does indeed appear to be more sizeable than the other….

IanMunro
    Free Member

True Yunki,
    And fine upstanding bankers were respected too.

Strange times we live in.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Do travellers pay their taxes?’ is closed to new replies.