Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Do those sport drinks work?
  • Shorty121
    Free Member

If I were to use this http://www.bromleybike.co.uk/shop/accessories/energy-food/sis-rego-recovery-sports-fuel-376185.html while on the bike trainer would I get any benefit?

Northwind

That’s a recovery drink so for using after not during exercise. It’s also one that most people think tastes disgusting though I quite liked it. But I’m in the chocolate milk camp now, depending on who you believe it may be just as good or almost as good, and it’s cheaper, easily bought, oh and tastier 😉

mikey74
    Free Member

Why chocolate milk? Why not strawberry or banana? :mrgreen:

Smarty
    Free Member

The clue’s in the name, recovery!!!

Probably better with this IME http://www.bromleybike.co.uk/shop/accessories/energy-food/sis-go-electrolyte-sports-fuel-376182.html

I too like the milkshake as a recovery drink, or Thwaites cask ale 😆

mikey74
    Free Member

Sorry for the slight thread hijack, but how much of the GO do you use for one 3-4hr ride?

I used to use it ages ago, but I gave up because I was getting through it so quickly. I suspect I was making too strong, which is why I’d be interested to find out how much others use

Northwind

mikey74 – Member

Why chocolate milk? Why not strawberry or banana?

I’m surprised you have to ask, chocolate vs fruit…

LeeW

@ Mike,

If it works out expensive you can make your own carb drink mix much cheaper. All it is is Maltodextrin, Fructose with added electrolytes – basically sea salt, although I understand organic sea salt is better than regular.

Maltodextrin and Fructose powder work out to around £6 per kg, mix it 2:1 then add some Elete water electrolytes. For a recovery drink add a scoop of whey protein.

MrSmith
    Free Member

it’s not expensive, just buy a big tub as it’s cheaper. £22 for 1.6k that lasts ages.
    i never did understand people spending 2k on a bike then scrimping on the fuel/recovery for your riding, or spending time making your own when scientists and nutritionists have done all the work for you.

13thfloormonk

I thought Rego Strawberry was pretty nice, almost as good as milkshake (I premixed and left in the fridge). My mates a cross country skiier with the army and they swear by chocolate milkshake, so that’s good enough for me!

Anyone know of any comparison between SIS etc and bottles of Lucozade ‘Sports Fuel’ or whatever its called? I find it easier just to have a few of those knocking about the fridge, although if I was properly training I guess £2-£3 a ride might work out pricey..

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I don’t use Go as it upsets my guts for some reason – GF likes it tho. I put Nuun tabs in which are slightly salty with a fruity tang. I have to stop a fair bit so munch snacks like flapjacks and maltloaf for energy.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I understand organic sea salt is better than regular.

How do they cultivate ‘organic’ sea salt – how is it different from normal sea salt and how can they farm ‘organic’ sea salt and not get it contaminated so it becomes like normal sea salt?

LeeW

Beats me, try Google.

mudpup
    Free Member

Check the sugar contents of SIS against Lucozade – i believe the SIS is lower so gives less of a sugar spike. The Lucozade is a clever marketing spin thats not based on sports science.
    Regarding the Rego/milkshake queries – SIS is low fat/much higher protein ratio.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Do those sport drinks work?’ is closed to new replies.