Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Do the europeans hate us?
  • deep_river
    Free Member

Who thinks that Renshaws DQ was purely for the purpose of ruining Cav's chances of winning the green jersey.

I suspect that if he was Petacchi's lead out man, it would have just been a fine!

I get the feeling that sometimes the Tour Organisers just dont want a british man to win anything, and are trying their best to stop Cav breaking records!

fattatlasses
    Free Member

FWIW, I've just returned from France and Cav seems to be very well liked by the French. (now Lance on the other hand…..)

oldgit
    Free Member

We are European and I like us, except realman because he was horrid the other day.

hels
    Free Member

Why do you think you never get any points at Eurovison dah-uh ?

oldgit
    Free Member

I think British riders have been pretty well liked on Tours.

Kuco

All I can say a few years ago in Morzine walking back to our chalet late one night a group of young locals heard us talking and shouted are you English or American. One of my mates shouted back English and I just thought 'oh no here we go' but was surprised when they cheered and shouted back 'we like the English we hate Americans' we just agreed with them.

igm

I'm Scots. Europeans love us. They're not always sure who we are or where we're from, but they love us. Particularly the French and Italians.

Americans also love us – they definitely have no idea where we're from.

Kuco

I was in America once when a bloke asked if I was from England. When I said yes he then asked if I knew the Queen. He looked a bit confused when I said no, do you know the president.

hels
    Free Member

Was on a train in Italy and they completely blanked us until my brother in law put an All Blacks cap on. "sorry we thought you were Americans" chatty as hell after that.

corroded
    Free Member

It's more the fact that HTC are a US team than Cav is a Brit. And if you look at the players in today's argy-bargy there's a Kiwi, Yank, Brit and Aussie – I can't even name a recent French sprinter.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

To be fair i think he was DQ'ed for some pretty blatant head butting and cutting up the garmin rider. Entertaining though 🙂

fubar
    Free Member

I was in America once when a bloke asked if I was from England. When I said yes he then asked if I knew the Queen.

In Las Vegas Greyhound bus terminal a 'character' asked me what happened to the King…I didn't want to point out that Elvis had died 20 years ago as I wasn't sure how he would have taken it. It was only afterwards that I realised he was asking about our the monarchy.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

I was in Paris for Lance Armstrongs last Tour win, it was by pure accident that was there at the time. I was trying to get into the knickers of a hot french bird that worked in the cafe at the louvre, what can I say.
    Anyway, We were sat in a cafe near the finsh talking away, when some yank dressed in US postal lycra gear came over and said the following to me "Are you german?" now I was shocked for a moment given that I was talking broken french / english to a french chick and the english I was using comes out my mouth with a strong yorkshire accent. The best part was that I didn't get chance to reply or hit the guy because the hot french chick said "No he is not, he is english you stupid american arsehole". At that point I was in love.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Yes… but did you shag her?

ahwiles
    Free Member

that question needs an answer…

photo's?

johnners
    Free Member

This all seems to have degenerated into predictable anti-Americanism.

In the interest of balance, I'd like to say that relative to the English (or even the Brits), a much lower proportion of the Americans I've met have been ignorant bigoted arseholes.

That is all.

Mugboo

Can't i be bigoted without being an arsehole?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I think it was a bit harsh sending Renshaw home, they seem to make there own rules up as they go along, take those twunts fighting all they got was a 400 euro fine & told to kiss & make up, so a fine and relegation to the bottom of the standings would of been suffice, afterall it was his first offence, it was the dangerous manoeuvre of squeezing Farrah into the barriers that got him the ban, not the head butting thats seems exceptable as part of sprinting.

aP
    Free Member

I think most Europeans are learning to hate the Brits, what with their manners, culture, language skills and sobriety.

stumpyjon

Probably depends which part of Europe you're from. If it's near a package holiday resort, yes you probably will hate the English. That said I have a sneaky feeling that our time has passed what with the huge numbers of East Europeans and Russians now partaking of the package tour.

Thing with Americans is that I have to admit all those I've met and talked to for more than 30 seconds have been pretty nice people (although most I've met have either been in a work environment or outside the states, remember the majority of Americans don't even have passports). I think the problem is the bullish image the country cultivates in the media, not currently being helped by Obama blatently bashing BP for the oil spill (not saying they aren't culpable, just feels like Obama is using the incident and the fact the company is British rather than American to score cheap votes pretty much liek they did over the Toyata cock up).

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Do the europeans hate us?’ is closed to new replies.