Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Do Special Constables Drive Their Own Cars?
  • MrGrim

Driving along Queensferry Road in Edinburgh today and was behind a Citroen C2 VTR with blue lights on top. Completely unmarked car with a private plate and the driver wearing a uniform that looked to be police.

The standard of driving was poor. Slow to pull away at lights, erratic sharp braking.

Do Police allow specials to drive their own cars? I only say specials as it would seem weird if a full time constable was driving a private plated Citroen.

I know i’m probably examing the situartion too much, but just curious.

scaredypants

what’s private plated ? Do police cars normally have special plates ? ( 😳 )

s
    Free Member

I have only seen unmarked police cars with their lights hidden inside their front grills.

Did he have his police helmet on his rear parcel shelf too? 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thegreatape
    Free Member

The only private cars with blues on I see up here (a bit further north than Edinburgh mind) are fire brigade bosses/area managers whatever they’re called.

Can’t see it being a cop, special or otherwise. A Chief Constable’s car might have a private plate – I’ve seen SYP 1 before – plus blues, but I can’t imagine a CC in a Citroën C2.

MrGrim

Personalised plates. No helmet on the parcel shelf 😆

Unmarked car on the body, but blue lights on top.

willber
    Free Member

100% not – but if he was a special I wouldn’t be surprised if he’d turned his own car into a pseudo police car and was driving round off duty in his uniform

wisepranker
    Free Member

Wouldn’t be surprised if it was St John Ambulance or something like that. They have a few special ones amongst them who use private cars with blue lights when they’re not meant to! Their uniform, white shirt with black epaulettes on the shoulders could be confused for a Police uniform.

althepal

See a fair few focus’s (?) in Glasgow.. Some completely stealth, some with police logos on it, and some with full battenburgs on.. Personalised plates and blue lights? Sounds weird to me.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Al, I’ve seen them too. Tend to be either blue or red, bog-standard looking Foci. Saw a red one on an ’05 plate just the other day in Berkeley St. Seemed too old for the force.

althepal

Foci- cheers for that codybrennan!
    Firey officer could be a good shout actually although usually vectras or something similar..

Trampus
    Free Member

Blood/organ donor delivery?

Sat on the M11 car park this morning and a green mini came flying down the hard shoulder with blues and two’s – didn’t clock the reg plate though.

poly
    Free Member

Wouldn’t be surprised if it was St John Ambulance or something like that. They have a few special ones amongst them who use private cars with blue lights when they’re not meant to! Their uniform, white shirt with black epaulettes on the shoulders could be confused for a Police uniform.

not in Edinburgh he wouldn’t be, that would make him st Andrews ambulance who I think are all boiler suited up these days (especially the “paraheadache” types).

Fairly sure blood and organ guys are all well liveried up. My guess would be fire service, as there is certainly one lives near me who drives something innocuous (astra?) with a blue light on top.

hora
    Free Member

What colour lights?

MrGrim

Blue lights. Might have been fire service. Black uniform with shoulder flaps (not sure what those bits are called 🙂 ) Definitely not St Andrews.

hora
    Free Member

It’ll be Fire Service- you see allsorts. Even see oldish Fiesta’s etc (must be poor in Trafford!).

butcher

See a fair few focus’s (?) in Glasgow.. Some completely stealth, some with police logos on it, and some with full battenburgs on..

I know round here, blue has always been the standard colour for CID and the like. Usually Focuses, Astras, stuff like that, completely unmarked.

They’re not private cars though…

I’d say Fire Brigade.

easygirl

Epaulettes

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Do Special Constables Drive Their Own Cars?’ is closed to new replies.