Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Do Shimano brakes need "conical" washers
  • mattjevans
    Free Member

I bought some Zee brake calipers and put them on tonight. I needed a new 180mm adaptor on the back and that came with cup and cone washers.

On the front is my existing Avid 200mm adaptor and I dont have any cup and cone washers for it, does that matter?

theotherjonv

No

coatesy
    Free Member

Bolts are a bit long without them, can’t figure out why they don’t just supply the correct length ones.

woolymonster
    Free Member

I got them with my adaptors too, just chucked them on and forgot about them. Suppose they think they’re giving you more adjust-ability but if you can do without and hacksaw the end of the screw off you’ll be reet!!!

mattjevans
    Free Member

thanks

Installing some superstar brake hoses tonight. Can’t for the life of me get the lever end insert fully into the hose. There is a 1mm (no more) gap between the cut end of the hose and the back of the insert.

Does that 1mm really matter? Looking at it another way, there is 9mm of insert inside the hose for the olive to crimp on…

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I think they usually only have one pair per bolt in which case all they are doing is spacing the bolt , you need two pairs per bolt like Avids have to give you any extra adjustment .

twohats
    Free Member

The conical washers are not for adjusting the caliper. They go under the head of the bolts to make up for the lack of a flat surface under the bolt head due to angle the mount puts the caliper at.

woolymonster
    Free Member

Yeah the barb needs to be fully in the hose, sometimes they are a pain to get the damn thing in though. The olive will naturally crush around the hose at the right place when you tighten the shroud up – But the barb needs to be in there fully (never fitted them with a bit showing so only know they should be in there). I reckon you needs a bigger hammer mate! 😀

mattjevans
    Free Member

The conical washers are not for adjusting the caliper. They go under the head of the bolts to make up for the lack of a flat surface under the bolt head due to angle the mount puts the caliper at.

So do I need to get hold of some for the front as well then?

mattjevans
    Free Member

Yeah the barb needs to be fully in the hose, sometimes they are a pain to get the damn thing in though. The olive will naturally crush around the hose at the right place when you tighten the shroud up – But the barb needs to be in there fully (never fitted them with a bit showing so only know they should be in there). I reckon you needs a bigger hammer mate!

Will it help if I bung them in the oven on low to soften the hose a touch…

mattjevans
    Free Member

before anyone comments that was a joke. I have, as suggested, hit it with a bigger hammer. One is now done, one to go

JoeG
    Free Member

I don’t know about other brands, but the caliper spacer block for my Magura Marta brakes have a groove built into it to help hold the tubing while you fit an end barb.

twohats
    Free Member

So do I need to get hold of some for the front as well then?

Depends, if the bolt head is not sitting square on the caliper and there is a gap under one side of the bolt head, then yes.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Depends, if the bolt head is not sitting square on the caliper and there is a gap under one side of the bolt head, then yes.

Don’t know how you fit yours but I have never seen a fitting where that has happened .

twohats
    Free Member

Its quite common with Shimano mounts and calipers hence the reason they supply them!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Do Shimano brakes need "conical" washers’ is closed to new replies.