Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • do road shoes make much difference? ?
  • edhornby

You can get exustar pedals for silly cheap if you hunt or shimano SPD-rl 540 are 20quid ish, get shoes that fit you (go to a shop, buy from a shop) and make sure the cleat is in the right place, there are instructions on the internet

wilburt
    Free Member

I prefer “proper” road shoes and pedals and so do all of the 500k+ a month riders I know.

There also much more versatile than MTB spds because you can quite happily ride to the shops/work/pub in flat shoes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mlke
    Free Member

I’m not sold on road shoes. I think there probably is marginal gains to be had with them but unless I get into road racing/time trialing etc then I like the flexibility of being able to walk off the bike and have one cleat type for all bikes.
    I have stiff soled mtb race shoes for the road bike and have had no hot spot issues with them

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Have you ever tried giving it the beans with SPD’s.? They are just not secure enough.

doesn’t seem to effect pro xc riders

Haze

I don’t get this ‘can’t walk in road shoes thing’, it really isn’t that difficult…

nickc

I found the mtb spds gave me hotspots when I used them on my road bike, and this was Sidi dominators and 540s that I just don’t get on the mountain bike. I think it’s the fact that your just sat in one position spinning away. Proper roadie shoes and pedals don’t give me foot ache.

atlaz
    Free Member

I switched to road shoes when I was getting hotspots with my MTB shoes. Haven;t had them since.

I’ve got a set of Shimano PD-R540 with cleats, one ride old if anyone wants them.

FOG

I used spds on my road bike for a while until I could afford some road pedals/shoes but was rather underwhelmed despite trying three different sorts of road pedals. I have now gone back to the bigger platform 530s which I find totally ok. Yes I am not a racer looking to wring every last pedal rev out of my legs but I manage fine.I have bought a widget to use two bolt cleats on three bolt shoes so I can still use my road shoes and I do think the stiff shoes do contribute to efficiency.

cookeaa

I use SPD SL’s on my “proper” road bike now, but still use MTB SPDs on my Commuter, There is a perceptible benefit IMO; that stiffer sole and better supported interface helps.

But it’s not hugely better, and like other have said any walking is a bit more challenging and the technique clipping in is a tad different, so I’d not rush out and buy new pedals and shoes OP, get used to the bike first, see if you are getting any hotspots on your longer rides, then consider trying SPD SL’s…

It’s one of those “marginal gain” things really, only you can judge if it’s worth it or not TBH…

mtbel
    Free Member

…and don’t forget… the moar you spend the less marginal you’ll judge them to be 😉

mtbel
    Free Member

lol @ all the long distance hotspot suffering warriors

Haze

I’m not taking advice off a man who puts Tri-bars on a road bike 😉

brooess
    Free Member

Try it and see for yourself.
    Worth thinking about how many road pros use MTB shoes and pedals?

mtbel
    Free Member

I’m inclined to dismiss advice from blokes who walk like a duck… doesn’t mean it’s bad advice. quack quack!! 8)

The tri bars are to allow him to ride with less weight on his arse apparently rather than aero gainz

mtbel
    Free Member

Worth thinking about how many road pros use MTB shoes and pedals?

ha ha.. it’s really not

Lifer
    Free Member

mtbel – Member

😐

nickc

I don’t get hotspots standing in my garden either… 🙄

dirtyrider
    Free Member

……you know who he is right?

i did 150km around sheffield and the peaks today, including winnats, mam tor, peaslows, and jenkins road,

with XTR Race SPD’s and AM45 shoes

why? they are warmer than my Rapha shoes/overshoes as long as its dry, and i cannot tell the difference between them

dirtyrider
    Free Member

everyones favorite vegan troll likes mtb spd’s as well

https://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders/search?query=spd

cookeaa

…and don’t forget… the moar you spend the less marginal you’ll judge them to be 😉

Perhaps, but I did do “proper” roadie pedals/shoes on the cheap:
    £20 pair of R540s and I bought some Slightly used DHB shoes (one aborted ride apparently, probably didn’t like SPD SLs 😉 ) for about £15 off fleabay I think… proper price for them is ~£30 I thing

So £35-£50 to try them out, obviously you can spend waaay more, but then I know plenty of people would turn their noses up at spending less than double that on MTB Shoes/pedals…

I’m not defending either choice, I can ride with them I can put up with the odd duck walking session, price wise they’re about on par with MTB shoes/pedals really, but they’re not everyone’s cup of tea and there’s nothing functionally wrong with MTB SPDs on a road bike, it’s probably the more common choice…

Just Horses for course innit…

Superficial
    Free Member

……you know who he is right?

As it happens, I think I do know that guy is, but there’s a long way* to go before most people will start recognising him from photos. It’s a bit snide to put up a photo and then sneer at people for not recognising the guy. IMO of course.

Anyway, for those left wondering:
    http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/

*About 70000 miles.

cookeaa

Thought it was him…
    Is he as “Demanding” a house guest as people suggested?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

at least he won’t leave cleat marks on your floor if he forgets to take his shoes off at the door.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Is he as “Demanding” a house guest as people suggested?

Don’t think so

Yacf has a Sub forum devoted to him? Lots of hosts posting daily updates

Haze

My point is, if you’re choosing cycling shoes by the ability to walk in them then you’ve got your priorities all wrong…

hilldodger
    Free Member

…500k+ a month riders

LOL, 10 miles a day then….

As for pedal weight, Shimano PDA600 spd pedals are only about 10g heavier than Dura Ace race pedals so that’s not really a factor.

Speshpaul

Road spd’s you don’t have to, mtb will be fine.

I’d say i depends on what you are going to do, if you are going for a ride, possibly walking pushing etc. then i wouldn’t bother.
    if you are going touring, the maybe a mtd soud with a cage, offers more support.

If you plan of fast road work, TT’s, a bit of racing, big fast miles.
    Then i would invest in a pair of SL’s at some point.

BUT your ride bike experiance will not be ruined if you do or don’t, its ok.
    😉

mtbel
    Free Member

Go on then Haze, I’m interested… What should our priorities be?

D0NK

…500k+ a month riders

LOL, 10 miles a day then….I did wonder where he was going with that

Go on then Haze, I’m interested… What should our priorities be?

erm pedalling in? MTB shoes (or at least mtb shoes I go to the lakes in) need to be ok for walking as hike a bikes happen pretty much every ride.. On road rides walking is the last thing on my mind.

(still don’t have road shoes as I’m not buying a seperate set of summer/winter shoes for 1 bike) but if I was spending more time on the road or was spaffing a load more money on it I’d look at road shoes/pedals)

Lifer
    Free Member

What I’d like to know, mtbel, is what relevance any other rider’s (whoever they are) experience with hot spots (or not) has to do with mine?

trickydisco
    Free Member

In short.. Yes 😉

Been using my s works mtb shoe for the past 2 months for commuting (I need to get my brain used to clipping in and out with these shoes as i was getting rubbish at dismounts and remounts in racing)

Went back to my carbon soles road shoe. Wow.. they felt great. Like slippers and much less float. I also noticed girls took more attention of me riding to work. Hopefully i’ll get a pay rise today as well

trickydisco
    Free Member

erm pedalling in? MTB shoes

Also loads more float in the mtb pedals/cleats than road shoes. I don’t move around so much on the road bike

steve_b77
    Free Member

Definitely for ma anyway, last summer I rode to Holmfirth for the TdF and put my Mavic MTB shoes on with M540’s so I could walk around. Big mistake my left knee was in agony on the way home.

Switched back to the road shoes and it’s a world of difference, never doing that again I can tell you

mtbel
    Free Member

Forget the relevance of other riders Lifer. My point was simply that your choice of pedal system very unlikely to be the cause of your discomfort after 40 mins of pedalling on the road. I’m 99% sure you could pedal in properly set up SPD’s and better fitting shoes just as happily as your Look/DHB combo. Hell.. I’d happily set you up.. the going rate these days seems to be £150 + the profit from the sale of the shoes/pedals.

TiRed

Also loads more float in the mtb pedals/cleats than road shoes.

Not really – fitted some spare KEO red cleats to my commuting winter boots – they were lying around, instead of the normal grey – feels like pedalling on ice by comparison, with 9 degrees of float – similar to my spds.

For the record, like saddles, I’m pretty insensitive to cleat set up, so the arguments are moot for me. My carbon road shoes are noticeably stiffer then my mtb shoes and other road shoes. Whether than makes a difference, I really can’t say. I started with very stiff Shimano spd shoes, mainly because I wanted a tread to put down when I held the tandem up. I never suffered from hot spots then either. If you do, try moving the cleat forward 0.5 cm. Midpoint of first and fifth metatarsal is the recommendation.

Big mistake my left knee was in agony on the way home.

That’s cleat alignment. Set up a new road cleat wrong and you’ll get the same thing. Float is probably correcting it on your road bike, and you move around so much more on a mtb for it not to be an issue.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Not really – fitted some spare KEO red cleats to my commuting winter boots – t

Ah sorry.. Should have said my TIME atac pedals/cleats have rotational float as well as sideways float which is quite noticeable

The reason i moved to TIME was because of this. I had knee problems with shimano spds (weirdly never had any issues with road cleats)

mtbel
    Free Member

DONK, with respect, I was interested in Haze’s opinion on what he thought our priorities should be. Not yours. Your wee outburst doesn’t even make a whole load of sense.

funnily enough mtb shoes are designed for pedalling in too. 😕 and Float certainly isn’t a negative thing for everyone.

Mister-P
    Free Member

MTB shoes on a road bike make you look like a pauper.

legend
    Free Member

I’m 99% sure you could pedal in properly set up SPD’s and better fitting shoes just as happily as your Look/DHB combo

ah, so you’re not completely certain then?
    Roadie shoes and pedals are defo better for manualing and pumping the bike

😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘do road shoes make much difference? ?’ is closed to new replies.