Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Do (rechargable) batteries get heavier when charged ?
  • marcus
    Free Member

???

johnners
    Free Member

They’re sealed, so what do you reckon?

jimdubleyou

No, the electrons move from one side to the other, you don’t get more electrons.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gwaelod
    Free Member

no the electrons are negatively charged so the batteries get lighter

bentandbroken

jimdubleyou – Member
    No, the electrons move from one side to the other, you don’t get more electrons.

Are you positive about that?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes, triple thier weight in Atoms, obvz.

jimdubleyou

Yup, I’m a-no-dic.

(ba dom tish)

NewRetroTom

On a related subject:

How much does the internet weigh?

Northwind

johnners – Member

They’re sealed, so what do you reckon?

They’re not totally sealed, there’s a pipe on one end where the lightning comes out.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Without looking at the link I’m going to say the Internet weighs as much as a strawberry. Am I wrong 😀

marcus
    Free Member

So what comes out the vent hole on a car battery and why does it need topping up with water.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Back to the battery. E=mc^2 , so amount of energy stored divided by speed of light squared = extremely small amount of extra mass.

Cougar

They do, but not measurably. Remember E=mc^2? You’re increasing the energy stored in the cells, so mass must also increase. It’ll be in the order of nanograms or picograms though.

What’s perhaps more interesting is, charged batteries are less bouncy than flat ones. Why this is I don’t know.

BigJohn

Einstein gave us the formula. E=MC2.
    So as a battery loses energy as it powers your torch it gets lighter by a miniscule amount. E/C*C to be precise.

Edit: beaten by a mod. As were the rockers in Brighton.

Pierre

Car batteries are traditionally lead-acid batteries:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_battery

…which generate hydrogen as one of the by-products of the chemical reaction. Hydrogen is very flammable, so a pressurised build-up of it isn’t a good idea, so lots of batteries were vented. And needed topping up with water because water’s a good source of hydrogen ions (and maybe also because small amounts of water vapour also escaped when vented).

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

jimdubleyou – Member

You can definitely feel the difference in a man sized drill during the working day

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Yes, for the same reason that springs get heavier when compressed.

IHN

If you hadn’t pissed around so much in Mr Jackson’s GCSE physics class, you’d have been able to take it at A level, and you’d have been able to answer your own question 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

it’s the same principle as having to remove air from a shock before posting, it’s lighter so costs less to post. even heavier if the air is warm as it’s denser

DrP

I think batteries bounce higher when charged as the ‘bits inside’ line up in a more uniform fashion, making it bouncier.

A bit like an egg.

DrP

jonnyboi

yes they do, but not by a measurable amount.

IIRC the internet weighs about the same as an orange.

wwaswas

the internet weighs about the same as an orange.

Although there’th a lot more pith on the internet.

allthegear
    Free Member

Some batteries (I’m thinking zinc/air here) actually get heavier as they discharge.

Rachel

twicewithchips
    Free Member

when they get used in a torch, the light comes out – so they must get heavier then, right?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Do they get bigger as they fill up with power?

Cougar

Some batteries (I’m thinking zinc/air here) actually get heavier as they discharge.

Yup!

when they get used in a torch, the light comes out – so they must get heavier then, right?

*applause*

outofbreath
    Free Member

😀

bencooper
    Free Member

What’s perhaps more interesting is, charged batteries are less bouncy than flat ones. Why this is I don’t know.

Interesting, maybe something to do with phase changes in the electrolyte.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Do (rechargable) batteries get heavier when charged ?’ is closed to new replies.