Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Do phone companies want any business?
  • matt_outandabout

So 48 mins on hold on phone to Orange.
    No sir we can’t offer you any mid range Android phones really, as we have low stocks of them all. We can do shiny new bling, at much expense or you can have an old/same phone as you have again.
    No sir we cannot tell you if your current loyalty discount still stands with a new upgrade or not.
    The poor operators suggestion? Go to an EE shop, see if they have old or different stock , and then get the shop to call and threaten that you are leaving, at which point some super department will offer me a great deal and the phone the shop has in stock…
    No sir, it is 31 days to leave so we won’t supply you your PAC code as you need to call back when the super department will take your call, as tonight you will wait another hour on hold. But yes you do need to give us 30 days notice to leave, and you have to go through the super department..

Facepalm……

househusband

Just get your own phone and get a SIM only tariff of your choice!

(I went with a Moto G from Tesco that I unlocked for £2 and now on a T-mobile SIM only… after thirteen years or so with Orange. I’m still unsure exactly what the incestuous relationship is with Orange, EE and T-Mobile but I look at the cost to me only.)

wrightyson
    Free Member

You can get a PAC immediately. As I did the other day.

wrightyson
    Free Member

And don’t ring at night. Did you go through to put of country call centre?

matt_outandabout

They would only do this if I was put through to the super department, which was an hours queue apparently.

tron
    Free Member

There is only one way to deal with phone companies. Find the phone you want and then find the most ludicrous cash back deals from the dodgiest corners of the internet. Ring up, tell them you’ve seen a deal, and you want your PAC code. Keep pushing for your PAC. They will offer a deal at this point. If you’re happy, you can take it. If you want to push it, insist on the PAC code. Someone will ring you back a few days later and offer you a better deal before you get a chance to switch.

Failing that, use the PAC, switch onto a PAYG sim or giff gaff, and go in as a new customer. Ask for your PAC from gift gaff and hey presto you’re on the same number but with a new customer deal.

This has always got me about a tenner off line rental and a top notch phone.

wrightyson
    Free Member

They’re bulls hitting you Matt. That is not the case at all. Was it the out of uk call centre? Ring back on 150 in the day and go options 1, 4, 2, 1 and take no prisoners.

JoeG
    Free Member

Similar wonderful experience with my bank. Try to login to pay some bills online. Won’t work. Call 800 number, on hold for 15 min. Automated msg “we can’t access the system to verify something or other. Thanks. Bye” Help is not 24/7 either.

Later that day, try to buy stuff from online German bike shop. I can’t pay with debit card paypal linked to bank account. 08:10 in the morning, get an automated call about possible fraudulent activity on the card. Talk w/them “no fraud, I tried to buy $350 of bike stuff from Germany.”

Them “good.”

Me “so you’ll approve the charge?

Them “Oh no. You’ll have to have your bank do that.”

Me “WTF are you?”

“We’re a 3rd party that monitors for the bank”

I call the bank, explain the above. Put on hold for 10 minutes.

Bank – “the site is blocked for some reason. Its for you protection.”

Me – “I don’t want protected, I want to buy my bike stuff!”

Bank – “We cant unblock it, you’ll have to use another card or something.”

Me – “Ok. I’ll be going to another bank!” 😈

spooky_b329

Buy sim free phone – mid range Android? That’ll be the MotoG from Tesco as above, £2 for unlock code. Can get a rather nice Motorola flip case for it too that replaces the back panel.

Change to Giff Gaff who will probably see you good for around £15 a month if you are not a heavy user. Tesco mobile are a similar price too I think.

The only reason I’m still with T Mobile is my contract is £15 for 3gb and allows tethering, which I don’t think Giff Gaff allow for a similar price.

Cheaper overall than a contract (much cheaper with a £100 MotoG) and gets you out of the ‘I really want to upgrade but can’t/I’m not ready to upgrade but feel I should as I’m paying £40 a month and am due a new phone’ cycle 🙂

matt_outandabout

£15 a month? Hoooooooow much?

(We pay £3.12 per month for 1000 mins & texts and 1gb)

^although in typing this, it may explains why Orange don’t want us…

Tesco Moto g does look like the answer.

sadexpunk

(We pay £3.12 per month for 1000 mins & texts and 1gb)

where???

matt_outandabout

Orange.

Welcome to being with same provider for a decade, and an uber cheap phine three years ago…but this time they will roll us into a two year contract in 30 days, without phone and won’t confirm costs….hence yesterday’s weird call…

spooky_b329

I fell out with Orange after they were generally difficult and then made me stay (and pay for) an extra 45 days. And messed me around with PAC codes. Basically made it as difficult as possible to leave which just made me more determined!

But £3.12 isn’t half bad, I just regret not going for the £10 T Mobile contract as five years on I still don’t use the 500 minutes on my £15 one 🙂

m360
    Free Member

Just get your own phone and get a SIM only tariff of your choice!

This. I usually buy my own phones, and sign up for a 12 or 18 month contract.

Now I’m only tied in for 12 months and will be free to stay on as a rolling contract or switch. I don’t need, or want a new phone every 12-24months, and I certainly don’t need to be shopping around for a new tariff more than once a year (stayed on my last one for 4 years, rolling monthly after 18 months).

daveh
    Free Member

The only reason I’m still with T Mobile is my contract is £15 for 3gb and allows tethering, which I don’t think Giff Gaff allow for a similar price.

Giffgaff £12/month now: 500mins, unlimited text, 3GB, tethering allowed.

matt_outandabout

All sorted. We went to a high street shop (how quant 😉 ). And a rather helpful chap sorted a nice Samsung Ace4 with lots of minutes, texts and some data for £11 a month on EE still.

DrJ

I may regret saying this but I have been very impressed with O2 customer service, by phone and by chat – they helped me out with some account and phone problems I ran into and were very patient and efficient. (On the other hand, they did have a pushy salesman who called me and told me a load of carp about upgrading my tariff)

Cougar

I may regret saying this but I have been very impressed with O2 customer service,

Exactly why I’ve been with O2 for 15 years.

some super department will offer me a great deal

That would be “Retentions” I expect.

I wonder whether a lot of phone companies now are defaulting to expecting people to tart between then. If you’re the sort of person that goes “bugger it, I’m moving to save a few pence” then you’re equally likely to do it again next time you’re up for renewal. Given how few core providers there are in the UK, if you do leave you’ll probably be back in a couple of years.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Samsung Ace4 with lots of minutes, texts and some data for £11 a month on EE still.

Go on how many minutes, text and data?

Not dissing, but its hardly an Iphone 6 phone is it….

Cougar

Oh yeah, and,

OFCOM state that they have to give you a code immediately on request, or up to two hours by SMS. Worth reminding them that they’re in breach of OFCOM regulations if they don’t.

matt_outandabout

Go on how many minutes, text and data?

Not dissing, but its hardly an Iphone 6 phone is it….

500min, 1000text and 1gb

How much is an iPhone 6 on that tariff? I bet a lot, lot more…maybe the same as monthly payments on a new bike… 😉

crankboy
    Free Member

orange ee cancelled my loyalty discount without warning, because I had stayed with them. I asked for my pac code and got a moto g and £5 a month gifgaf bundle, I only get 60 mins and 300 texts but calls and texts to my wife and any one else on gifgaf are free and every time I get a call the length of the call is added to my allowance I now try and keep the call centre operatives talking.

Flaperon

Glad to see it wasn’t just me – called to ask a simple question and after 45 minutes on hold asked for a PAC code instead. There was some fairly intensive attempt at flogging me broadband but in the end they sent out the code.

Now with 3. Calls don’t drop, the internet is fast again, and they answer the phone when you call. They also let you roam for free in loads of places, including the USA.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Do phone companies want any business?’ is closed to new replies.