• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by cp.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Do people really wear merino on days like this?
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Hi

I have just 'got' the merino thing

Its ace in winter and spring
    Wear the same scuddy vest for weeks without washing it or your jerseys

But does it really keep you cool in summer too like the blurb says?

It just feels wrong to put a vest on today under my jersey

I thought Id ask here before trying it and potentially dying of heat stroke!

sofaking
    Free Member

wore a thin ice breaker t shirt and merino arm warmers this morning with another thin layer over them , but i did start my ride at 4.30 am and was home drinking java by 7 . just about right temp even though i was quite damp from the fog.

great way to start the day

the_prophet
    Free Member

I have a l/s howies base layer, that due to various reasons, i wore for the majority of my rides last year. even in the summer, I pulled the sleeves up and don't remember being too hot.

Its good stuff.

elaineanne
    Free Member

yesterday i just wore my endura shirt…nowt underneath- i was still boiling in these temperatures ! actually never had a merino -i just wear 'layers of clothing' wen its chilly. just drink lots….. i had ice cubes in my camelbak yesterday… hmmm nice.

juan
    Free Member

I don't ride in merino I think they are naff

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Yesterday I wore a HH vest under a Fox Manic short sleeve T, and sweated like a pig. I remained comfy though as the close fit of the vest did it's job in wicking sweat away. Can't stand a really loose floppy outer layer when riding (why did I buy a T-shirt style jersey then, don't ask…..).

Not worn Merino in summer, reserve it for winter, wouldn't like to commit to buying some expesnive kit to find I don't use it because it is too hot though!

tron
    Free Member

Jesus! I went out in shorts and thin jersey yesterday evening and I was very warm. I can't see an extra layer of merino helping at all.

On the other hand, a thin merino jersey would work fine.

druidh
    Free Member

The problem with merino is that t holds more moisture than the man-made materials and, as a result, also takes longer to dry.

sputnik
    Free Member

I am wearing an Icebreaker at this very moment. It is a short sleeve 150. Lighter and cooler than a cotton t-shirt.

scoobmw
    Free Member

I wore a short sleeve 150 this morning for my ride. Thin and comfy, and on it's own ideal for riding for me. I use the same mountaineering too once it gets to Summer – both involve lots of effort, rucksacks/camelbaks and Merino has done the trick for me now for years. I just go to long sleeves when it's cooler and then layer them in Winter.

4ndyB
    Free Member

Frequently wear a merino T in hot weather, doesn't feel any hotter wearing it than a man made fabric & does not stink like **** after an hour on the bike.

nickc

does not stink like **** after an hour on the bike.

Neither does any of my man made fibre clothes…Merino is fine for low intensity activities, but on a bike it just soaks up too much water and takes too long to dry out

iamsporticus
    Free Member

I didnt die!

In fact it was pretty good
    A merino base layer under a short sleeved jersey

I need the jersey to carry stuff, the base layer doesnt have pockets

It was 26 degrees ish and we had a good 3h blast around Thetford

I sweated for sure but never felt that uncomfortable and neither the merino or the jersey need a wash at the mo

Brilliant

cp

I just wear my Howies merino on it's own. It's not skin tight, but not baggy t shirt style, and I find it superb.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Do people really wear merino on days like this?’ is closed to new replies.