Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Do people from other countries deserve our help?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Are you asking whether or not foreign countries deserve our help/aid or if the people of the UK deserve to be prioritised as they’re two different issues?

The latter.

There are people in dire need in the UK, but I can’t help thinking some people in other countries have it worse.

Xylene
    Free Member

I’m hoping that was a very short (one word) discussion.

It actually wasn’t, and no they weren’t catholic.

They are told by their government that there is no AIDS, and the AIDS in the country is from foreigners, and they are deported.

So why should they care about it?

One of them went off and did some research and came back with this snippet of info, although it may not be word perfect or for that matter true.

“The use of quinine in India reduced the deaths from Malaria so significantly, that if it had not been used, the population of India is estimated to be around the same as the UK”

Found he claims in one of those fashionable science books that breaks down common mistakes in science.

They had quite a heated debate on China, as they are made to believe China is bad via the media and their parents. Was it the Chinese prostitutes bringing HIV to the country, that is what they are told.

Africa was more interesting – as the one of the more outspoken students wondered if whether or not looking back historically, the plagues that have effected the world, were just extreme versions of population control.

Could Africa, with it’s different countries, in different economic turmoil, with famines and droughts, support a massive population growth if HIV was wiped out.

Ultimately the decision was yes HIV vaccine is a great idea, they would like shares in the company that discovers it, but they were worried about the population explosion of countries that received it, had safesex programmes in place, however ineffective they were.

A great group of kids to work with.

anagallis_arvensis

Ultimately the decision was yes HIV vaccine is a great idea, they would like shares in the company that discovers it, but they were worried about the population explosion of countries that received it, had safesex programmes in place, however ineffective they were.
    A great group of kids to work with.

They sound delightful!

hora
    Free Member

Do people from other countries deserve our help?

Imagine a Direct Debit coming off your credit card/overdraft every month to various charities.

Thats what the UK Government is doing. The US Government is running a foreign army and Navy ‘patrolling’ the global seas as their Empire that they never had or will have all run on massive debt.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I dont have to imagine that Hora

TBH I feel blessed to know I had the luck to be born in a rich country and blessed that my kids wont die of hunger or preventable disease and that they will get an education. I believe it is our moral duty to help those financially worse of than ourselves.

Its true we need to help our own but generally our own problems are more first world problems than starving to death.

the issue is not too little money its what we do with it. We could solve our problems and theirs if we GAS still those strivers with their billions eh

hora
    Free Member

Oh I care. I give my time etc and I’ve put myself in harms way for others (and recent too). I question the chequebook giving and aid in the form of money and selling debt that drive the problem further. Human nature always takes over though and finds ways to profit and feed off others generosity.

SaxonRider

footflaps – Member

If not, I’d be very worried about your students (unless you’re in a Catholic school, in which case rampant homophobia is to be expected).

Totally uncalled for, footflaps. In spite of the gross caricature, if anyone in a Catholic school encouraged ‘rampant homophobia’, they would be removed immediately. You may not believe in God (which is fine), but the language of the Church is that all human beings are children of God, and so absolutely deserving of the same love and respect.

Now, back to the topic at hand…

Junkyard
    Free Member

That will be why it has so few rules about how to please god then…..

plyphon
    Free Member

Totally uncalled for, footflaps. In spite of the gross caricature, if anyone in a Catholic school encouraged ‘rampant homophobia’, they would be removed immediately. You may not believe in God (which is fine), but the language of the Church is that all human beings are children of God, and so absolutely deserving of the same love and respect.

Crikey in this instance your best bet is to really not reply.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

What about the century of American involvement across the world, has probably had a far greater impact than the British Empire ever did.

You’re giving the Americans to much credit, when it comes to general mayhem and long term instability no empire that has ever existed can touch the British empire. The Romans, The Mongols, the Chinese Empire…. even the Third Reich….none of them. The British by and large, are the worst thing that ever happened to the rest of the world. The Spaniards put in a good effort in South America and the Philippines though.

wilburt
    Free Member

I was in the A&E last night with my wife, there was a young father and his 5/6 year old son, Albanian at a guess. The boy could hardly breath with asthma or some kind of lung infection perhaps.

I would challenge anyone to have denied him treatment.

hora
    Free Member

What about the century of American involvement across the world, has probably had a far greater impact than the British Empire ever did.

Jesus wept- all the Americans did was kill, maim, distabilise governments etc. Thats all they are good for. They only entered WWII because of Japans attack AND certain high profile members of government who envied the British Navy/Empire and wanted it destroyed so they could rule the waves instead.

Lets not forget that 4 out of 5 of every German Soldier was killed on the Russian front.

Yet- still, decades later many countries from around the world still want to be affiliated with Great Britain.

People only want American dollars and pop music.

I would challenge anyone to have denied him treatment.

I hope he wasn’t SAT in A&E and was immediately rushed through as an emergency/priority. If not I hope you were vocal and asked to speak to a Doctor and voiced your concerns?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Jesus wept- all the Americans did was kill, maim, distabilise governments etc. Thats all they are good for. They only entered WWII because of Japans attack AND certain high profile members of government who envied the British Navy/Empire and wanted it destroyed so they could rule the waves instead.

Lets not forget that 4 out of 5 of every German Soldier was killed on the Russian front.

Yet- still, decades later many countries from around the world still want to be affiliated with Great Britain.

No they don’t, the only reason why you think this is that you’ve never been to Palestine, China, India, Pakistan etc etc, plenty of people still remember what we did.

Where as the Yanks now bring some of those countries trade that dwarfs any trade we have ever done with them. Money/trade speaks, trying to be matey after you raped and pillaged their country doesn’t.

Plenty of people still remember what we did.

I wonder why nobody still remembers what the Romans, the Mongols and the Assyrians did.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I wonder why nobody still remembers what the Romans, the Mongols and the Assyrians did.

I’m guessing the bad sociopolitical effects of the Roman Empire have probably worn off. 😛

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think we are back at the pope 😉

hora
    Free Member

you’ve never been to Palestine, China, India, Pakistan

We left. They reverted back to the way they were and were going.

Palestine was by terrorism.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

We’re a rich country, largely off the back of the natural resources of our former empire

And what resources were they ? Tea, sugar, coffee, baccy, palm oil ?? all the irreplaceable stuff

We ought to continue foreign aid if only to stop Harrods and the rest of the Knightsbridge shops going bust.

29erKeith
    Free Member

We spend 18% gdp on health, 15% welfare, 12% education, 20% pensions, 12% defence

And less than 1% on aid about 0.7%

People I this country are incredibly well off, healthy, educated….
    Yes thing could be improved in places for sure and not everything is perfect. I know my care in the nhs has been fantastic and there are safety nets in place with welfare etc.

Do I in anyway begrudge aid to help people in absolutely dire circumstances? No absolutely not.

If your homeless in the country with a family you will be housed in most circumstances. We all have access to shelter, clean water, money when we fall on hard times.

Much of our aid goes to help people who have nothing! No shelter in harsh environments no clear water food access to any health services, fleeing war.

Yes there is corruption and not all of is goes where it should but a lot does and I’d rather some good came of it and we who have so much can do what we can to help those that have so little.

It’s not a perfect world but I’m proud we as a country do what we do to help others even if there is often an Alternative motive of some kind

mt
    Free Member

Yes.
    Next complicated question.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

We left. They reverted back to the way they were and were going.

Bollocks, that’s some of the most arrogant/racist crap I’ve ever heard on here. The British economically destroyed India in a process of de-industrialization (we actually made India an unequal trading partner so they were a consumer of our goods), we **** over China royally during the opium wars and then we spent decades drawing up borders the world over that have directly lead to the much of the political instability seen to this day.

All because, like you, imperialist Britain arrogantly believed it knew what was best for the rest of the world.

Palestine was by terrorism.

We drew up it’s borders didn’t we and Israels. If we hadn’t interfered, decades of Palestinian terrorism would have likely never happened.

ninfan
    Free Member

Of course they do.

Some common sense applies of course – if that country has rampant poverty, but it’s own nuclear weapons and a space programme, then perhaps we should tell them to get their own house in order before we hand them any more money!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Why do you think they need Nuclear weapons? Oh because Britain drew up land borders that led to some of the bloodiest conflicts since the second world war. What a **** surprise!

And as others have pointed out, a national space program is actually a pretty good way of reducing poverty as it means there is more investment in education and technology.

andyl
    Free Member

I think my only response to the OP is “Yes, they are people just like ‘us'”

Edric64
    Free Member

India needs no help if it can fund a bloody space programme ,or is it using our money to do it ?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Moreover, although the country may have a small super-rich elite and a growing middle class, its capacity for wealth redistribution remains limited according to a 2009 World Bank report. It found that even a 100% marginal tax rate on Indian earnings would only plug 20% of its aggregate poverty gap.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12607537

ninfan
    Free Member

Why do you think they need Nuclear weapons? Oh because Britain drew up land borders that led to some of the bloodiest conflicts since the second world war. What a **** surprise!

Each boundary commission consisted of 5 people – a chairman (Radcliffe), 2 members nominated by the Indian National Congress and 2 members nominated by the Muslim League.

Colonial guilt fail 😉

And as others have pointed out, a national space program is actually a pretty good way of reducing poverty as it means there is more investment in education and technology.

A national toilet programme might be better

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_peUxE_BKcU[/video] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_peUxE_BKcU

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Each boundary commission consisted of 5 people – a chairman (Radcliffe), 2 members nominated by the Indian National Congress and 2 members nominated by the Muslim League.

Colonial guilt fail

Great bit of selective quotation there, read the rest of the article ninfan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radcliffe_Line

and also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_of_India

andyl
    Free Member

India needs no help if it can fund a bloody space programme ,or is it using our money to do it ?

It’s not as simple as that though. There will be income from foreign sources specifically due to the space program (and other) that will filter out into the society. It also leads to education, status etc etc all of which are important and different wealth to ‘money’. India is very wealthy in terms of intelligence but it’s finances and resources are strained and that is what we see. If they ploughed everything into fixing toilets etc then they would just be a poor nation with working toilets and no way to sustain themselves.

Jaguar Land Rover is one of Britains most high profile car manufacturers but it is owned by Tata Group which goes to show it’s not simple.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

It’s not as simple as that though. There will be income from foreign sources specifically due to the space program (and other) that will filter out into the society. It also leads to education, status etc etc all of which are important and different wealth to ‘money’. India is very wealthy in terms of intelligence but it’s finances and resources are strained and that is what we see. If they ploughed everything into fixing toilets etc then they would just be a poor nation with working toilets and no way to sustain themselves.

Jaguar Land Rover is one of Britains most high profile car manufacturers but it is owned by Tata Group which goes to show it’s not simple.

+1

Great response.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Do people from other countries deserve our help?’ is closed to new replies.