Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Do other nationalities understand sarcasm?
  • geoffj

Specifically Polish people.

or is it just an English language thing?

jon1973
    Free Member

That's a good question.

Drac

Racist!

j_me
    Free Member

–noun 1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
    2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

The definition is quite clear….why would someone's nationality prevent them from uderstanding it…..stupid question

jahwomble
    Free Member

Yes.

JulianA
    Free Member

Certainly the Dutch and the Norwegians, having been on the wrong end of some biting sarcasm from both!

gonefishin
    Free Member

How could you tell that the Dutch weren't simply being rude rather than Sracatic? 😉

higgo
    Free Member

God made English people both different and special. Only the English got the sarcasm thing. I'm only half English (half Irish) so I get most sarcasm but the really clever stuff goes straight over my head. My Dutch wife gets irony and sardonism but struggles with the sarcasm.

Or GeoffJ is a racist?

kennyp
    Free Member

Some folk in one of our offices had a recent get together with counterparts from one of the German offices. One of the things that emerged was that the Germans hadn't realised that describing a report as "interesting" isn't always a good thing.

emac65
    Free Member

Same as in all nationalities – some do & some don't…..

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Well I work with Polish people, and, they are great fun, like a laugh, like a drink, like their women, like a joke, they are normal people, as for sarcasm, the ones who speaka da englis are as sarcastic as you can get when you wind them up..

MrNutt
    Free Member

I view everyone as sarcastic.

slartybartfast
    Free Member

worked with a polish girl recently and she definately understood sarcasm.

Nico
    Free Member

No, they don't. That's because we are so special.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Lol at all the moral high ground campers.

Theres nothing wrong or rascist in suggesting different cultures might not share exact linguistic workplay or thought/sentence construction.

We all use language differently, but the majority of STW viewers, being mainly of UK upbringing, exposed to UK television and cultural references, will at least recognise sarcasm and or irony, but I suggest many don't.

And in much the same way, other nations will have vebrbal and non verbal communication cue's which we will struggle with.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Thinking about the speeches of Donald Rumsfeld, it's hard to accept that Americans don't understand irony…

baldSpot
    Free Member

Understanding sarcasm is not some Black Art honed by Gods Own People aka native English Speakers. The ability exists in other cultures; a complete shocker, I know.

EDIT: the OP must be trolling or a dumbass

Drac

Theres nothing wrong or rascist..

What you think I was serious?

Hairychested
    Free Member

#
    geoffj – Member

Specifically Polish people.

or is it just an English language thing?
    Posted 5 hours ago # Report-Post

We don't. It's only the mighty English, not ever the Welsh could be so highly developed as human beings.

Drac

You think the Welsh are human?

plumber
    Free Member

Canadians say they do but in fact don't 🙄

duntmatter
    Free Member

[visible sarcasm mode for internets]Does the Pope shit in the woods?[/visible sarcasm mode for internets]

Oh yes, and 🙄

alexathome
    Free Member

New Zealander's get irony, but fall short in their comprehension of sarcasm, well in my experience any way. They do seem to get 'rude' thou; which, when challanged with sarcasm seems to give them a glazzy look on their stupid hobbit faces.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Welsh? Human? I sincerely hope so as I'll be driving through Welshland next week and ain't overly keen on The X-Files on route.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Do other nationalities understand sarcasm?’ is closed to new replies.