• This topic has 94 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Xan.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • DO NOT READ THIS THREAD IF YOU DRIVE A DIESEL
  • tracknicko
    Free Member

or watch that episode of friends where ross gets a little two seater, then some fat bald fecker pulls up next to him and shouts 'how hot are we?'

because that will be you…

BobaFatt
    Free Member

christ, i thought from your description it was going to be a TVR or a Corvette……..not an MG!

in related MG news, from the owners club website, spy shots of a new MG to be built in Birmingham

molgrips
    Free Member

I've just been out for a drive in the countryside, with the roof down, the sun shining and the lovely burble of a sporty exhaust pipe attatched to a carberetured engine.

If I were out enjoying a drive in sunny countryside, I'd rather be in a sweet handling quiet powerful car than in a crappy old-tech wannabe sportscar making some kind of racket.

Noise does nothing for me. Refinement does.. which is why I like my quiet diesel 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Apparently the new ones being built in China are being branded "Modern Gentleman".

Where did it all go so wrong? Lotus are now whileing away their days trying to make some foreign manufactuere a cool sporty brand.

MG's are being buuilt by communists and is making overweight cars using technology that was old hat 15 years ago.

Actualy whats changed?

tinsy
    Free Member

my sills are original and so mach the rest of the car

Then technically it isnt right, they were always black up to the chrome strip…. However I like em body coloured too.

I had a 1972 RWA one (and 3 BGT's0, and my mum has had her 78 Midget from new.. 🙂

ski
    Free Member

Noise does nothing for me. Refinement does.. which is why I like my quiet diesel

Now there's three words you don't see often in the same sentance, refinement, quiet & diesel.

😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

molgrips earlier

robdob
    Free Member

I was having a chat with the wife last week and she promised that it would be ok for me to buy a Lamborghini Diablo SV if we won the lottery (which we don't enter).

I do love them but the main reason would be to pull up to work in one and see the reaction. Not because I want to show off, it's just that I work for the Environment Agency and it'd be VERY amusing. 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

How on earth do you manage to get the fuel to the carburettors on hot days without it evapourating?
    Though that 1500 block seemed to do better in the MG than it did in the Spitfire.

Drac

Think I'll stick to my Diesel if that's the choice, costs less than that year to insure too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Never had fuel problems, although the logic of having the exhaust manifold and the inlet manifold ont he same side completely escapes me.

Lots of empty space under the bonnet though which must help. If I ever get arround to it I might fit fuel injection and an air box routed through the grill (like the heater hoses is).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

costs less than that year to insure too.

Really, for a 23 year old, with no NCB?

Its only downside is theres only room for me an one bike.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Now there's three words you don't see often in the same sentance, refinement, quiet & diesel.

Indeed. 'Skeleton having a wnak in a biscuit tin' springs to mind. 😛

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

There is nothing like the high pitched whine of a 16v engine to stir the blood

Drac

Really, for a 23 year old, with no NCB?

I'm not 23. You see that's the beauty of being a bit older, I can choose what I want and don't have to try and justify it to myself.

If I was going for an older car like you have I'd be going for the Audi Quatro, always loved them since they came out and still would have one.

pacemaker
    Free Member

Its only downside is theres only room for me an one bike

Its not like your friends (if you have any) would want to be seen dead in it.. 😀 😀

dave_aber
    Free Member

That is a nice Nippy. Not so keen on MGs really, no idea why though. Just personal preference.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ahhh yes, but I couldnt afford to buy one, let alone insure it 🙂

dave_aber
    Free Member

Aye, probably a good bit dearer than a Midget to buy. Insurance shouldn't be daft though.

antigee

if somebody stole my radio then i'd try to look on the bright side

antigee

I told you they don't come with radios – you just sit and listen to the engine, anyone fancy a trip to halfords?

johnners
    Free Member

That Midget's a nasty rubber-bumpered thing. My Mondeo looks nicer.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Sweet V8 Hemi

CountZero

Those MG's were just fugly, as were the plastic bumper B's. Putting a Triumph engine in just sacrilege, there's nothing wrong with an A Series, they can be injected, turbo'd, run unleaded, taken out to 1600cc, there's endless race tuning bits for them. I had one for a while, til it got nicked. The hood leaked like a sieve, you had to hold it in second gear or else it jumped out. Fun to drive, tho'. Not as much as my Puma, going down a gear in a tunnel or surrounded by buildings and wellying it sounded much better than your MG; revvy Yamaha 1.7 Zetec is why. My Octavia 1.9TDi sounds pretty good when I accellerate hard overtaking, and I can get 60/gallon on longish A-road or motorway runs. My old '53 split-screen Minor, with a 1275 A-series and 'box, and a van rear axle, plus 5Jx13 wheels and Koni shocks used to go
    like the clappers, give over 50/gallon, and I'll bet the reclining bucket seats were more fun with the G/F I was
    going with at the time than an MG would ever be. In fact I can be absolutely sure of it. 😉

Woody
    Free Member

Lots of anti MG here 👿

Here's mine – K&N's, extractor manifold, big bore exhaust, stage 1 flowed head. It sounds great and I enjoy driving it so bollox to the lot of you 😛

Aren't you shunned in the MG world if you drive a rubber bumpered one?

BigCol
    Free Member

My TDi this morning:

Woody
    Free Member

Aren't you shunned in the MG world if you drive a rubber bumpered one?

Only by the purist plonkers who seem to appear in every car club. I went to the local club twice (that was enough!) and about half were normal people who liked tinkering with old cars. The other half verging on obsessional.

Bit like here really….but older and less interesting 😉

NZCol

I admit to enjoying the monstering brutal noise of my 911, well 993 Targa this morning with the glass roof back as the sun shone down. The noise it makes is just beautiful. 8)

M6TTF
    Free Member

The RWA midgets were only made in 1973-74 – IMO the best midget is the 67 complete with the dogtooth grill, beautiful little piece of English history 🙂

Defender 110 with a 3.9 EFI and tubular manifolds for the full V8 burble here.
    Cheap insurance, room for two bikes, no need to carry a tent for weekends away, enough power to surprise or frighten most car drivers and cheap(ish) to run on LPG.

PJM1974
    Free Member

My old 2.5 Alfa v6 made some lovely noises, particularly in second gear when going through the Dartford Tunnel.

Now I get my kicks on two wheels.

ken_shields
    Free Member

'Skeleton having a wnak in a biscuit tin'

Mr Poddy you are an inspiration, I shall use that in future instead of a "A bag of rusty spanners falling down a metal fire escape"

MG + sports car do not belong in the same sentence

sharkbait
    Free Member

'Skeleton having a wnak in a biscuit tin'

Even though it would not be possible 😆

julianwilson
    Free Member

There is nothing that frustrates me more than the thought of dropping a gear and overtaking small cars whilst carrying only 4 mates and 5 bikes, and still burning less fuel doing it than my old fiesta. Crikey, the increase in insurance premnium and road tax for all this cost me a knee-trembling £200 a year more than for the car it replaced. Caravelles are rubbish, really, get a 2 seater sports roadster instead. Youi'll never regret it! 😀

(not mine but apart from being the euro way round its pretty much identical)

tracknicko
    Free Member

vans FTW.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Much better than MG Midgets.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mr Poddy you are an inspiration, I shall use that in future instead of a "A bag of rusty spanners falling down a metal fire escape"

I aim to please. 8)

molgrips
    Free Member

You can come have a ride in it if you like.. I bet it's a damn sight quieter and more refined than a sh*tty old mg! 🙂

M6TTF
    Free Member

spitfires better than midgets – your avin a larf!!!! LOL – shocking chassis on them….

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘DO NOT READ THIS THREAD IF YOU DRIVE A DIESEL’ is closed to new replies.