Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • "Do Not Disasemble"
  • JonR
    Free Member

yells the warning on the side of the cups on my hollowtech BB. The only problem with that is the illegitimate child of a thing stuck tighter than a yorkshire man's grip on his wallet.

I'm pretty new to the world of BBs if truth be known so is there a quick fix such as washing the thing out with have a can of GT85 or is simply time to put up a wanted as on the classifieds forum as it's well and truly fornicated.

thomthumb
    Free Member

if its stuck its too late really. get the bearings replaced with decent quality ones.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

isn't that like those "No cycling" signs which are an unintended invitation?

JonR
    Free Member

isn't that like those "No cycling" signs which are an unintended invitation?

To be honest when I first noticed it I thought

I guess if it is shot then there is no harm in it.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

sounds like a red rag to a bull

you can swap out the cartridge bearings in HT2 BB cups which is cheaper than buying new units (although I've never bothered) but if they're shot they're shot, I've never heard of reconditioning them (successfully)

Olly
    Free Member

they make them so they are a one way seal.
    once its out, its not going back in.

Bite the bullet, buy a hope replacement, and then just buy the bearings instead of buying a whole new BB.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

The thing is that when you disasemble it it is virtually impossible to do without damaging the black plastic seal that you can see on the outside. But if it's biffed anyway, you don't have much to lose. Apart from that, you can bash the bearings out no problems, but you don't gain anything unless you've got new bearings to put in. And probably a new plastic cover.

DickBarton

Anyone got any more news on the new Pace BB? I fancy that as the grease port idea appeals…

foxyrider
    Free Member

Send them to BETD for bearing replacement – they are doing free fitting at the mo?

tinsy
    Free Member

Bearings are a fiver off ebay, and for much better sealed ones than installed by shimano, use this guide and some common and its really stupidly easy to re build.

http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=24:drivechain&id=35:shimano-hollowtech-ii-bottom-bracket-bearing-replacement&Itemid=9

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Do grease ports not just fill with grit and become useless?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Tinsy, can you sort out a link to the right bearings no ebay please?

Cheers

tinsy
    Free Member

Interestingly I didnt find them on ebay, I bought soem from there a while back though!!

But anyhow these are just the ticket. £1.60 each

http://www.akbearings.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=680

tinsy
    Free Member

Here is a good one with a nice explanation of what the letters mean on the bearings.

http://www.bearings.uk.com/acatalog/6805_Bearing.html

kaesae
    Free Member

It's not that hard to do, the tricky bit is to not damage the nylon insert when you change the bearings. I just did a set for steveo pretty sure they work fine but I haven't spoken to hime lately.

Good luck with sorting your hub.

imp999
    Free Member

My bearings that I knocked out of my Shimano BB were only 6mm wide.
    Has anyone seen any of these for sale?
    Are the 6mm ones in the lower spec'd BBs or older models?

Cheers.

IA

To get the top hat out easily without damaging it (imo) top it thru from the far side with an extension bar/muckle allen key, rather than try and prise it off.

That's my top-tip for the day.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Getting them off is easy, getting them back in again is a nightmare.

tinsy
    Free Member

imp999, I have had a quick google, but I am not coming up with a 25x37x6 bearing, however rest assured they are out there, Shimano didnt get them made special for their application… Have a google yourself.

captaindanger

search for 6805 2rs, that's the code

tinsy
    Free Member

captaindanger, yes thats the link I gave earlier, imp999 knocked some out of a BB and thEY are 1mm narrower, its those that are hard to track down…

kaesae
    Free Member

Go ask steveo if his BB works is used the standard 7mm bearings.

I figure you can simply take 2 of the 1mm spacers of the cranks through axle. I'll go email steve and see what he says about it working or not.

I can recondition a cranks BB for about £10 but you have to pay the postage.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘"Do Not Disasemble"’ is closed to new replies.