Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Do no LBSs want my trade?….is business that good!?
  • deviant
    Free Member

I bought an upgraded shock for my Trance, have been phoning, messaging and emailing various local shops about swapping out the old shock….
    …..so far nothing, bugger all, no call backs, no email replies etc.

Are all you LBS employees driving around in Rolls Royces and ignoring the little jobs!?

Anyway, if anyone in South to West Wales can help me out that would be stellar.

Simon

Why do you need a shop to swap a shock, surely you could do it yourself?

km79
    Free Member

Quicker than phoning around as well.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Erm, its really not that hard to do however the fact you’re relying on an LBS makes me think you’ve probably not bought the right shock or have the right bushes etc.

djflexure

Phoned my LBS this morning for a small part – said they had a selection. when I got there the selection was neatly arranged on the counter. The mechanic then came over and went over the pro’s and cons of each. When I made my decision he got it out of the package to make sure it worked properly before I left.

So not all bad

Red Kite Bikes

fifeandy
    Free Member

Why be wasting time swapping shock when you can pay the shop to do it while you enjoy riding another bike – or at least thats the plan if you can find a shop that actually likes getting paid.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

So you’re riding you’re bike 24/7 and have zero time in the day to do a 20 min job eh.

mjsmke

Why waste time taking the bike to a shop for a 10 min job?

sillyoldman

Either they thought you were taking the piss as it’s such a simple job, or they’re understandably aggrieved that you bypassed them and bought elsewhere (online?) and expect them to squeeze in a low value job that would have been FOC if you’d bought the shock from them. 😉

drovercycles
    Free Member

Does seem like a slightly odd request… you’re happy enough to identify and purchase the correct shock but not fit it? As above, some shops might be aggrieved that you didn’t give them a chance of the sale (and almost certainly then would have fitted it for free). Of course there may be perfectly good reasons for that.

But we’re happy to help – more mid-Wales than south but if Hay is within range, give us a shout and we’ll take a look for you. Wouldn’t necessarily have the bushings you’ll need in stock though, depending on spec, so may be best to drop us an email first.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Why do you need a call back ?

You phone shop – if they are there – they answer. You request a price and time scale for fitting shock and then agree to take it in at a time suits them.

Bike shops on the whole are stuck in 1990and email is pretty cutting edge and time consuming (consuming in the the office masses expect someone monitoring it at all times and a reply within 30seconds)

I know some shops that still don’t have internet at the shop – the owner does the ordering and emails from his house ! ( And they ain’t suffering for it) .

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

They might not need the work. My 2 nearest LBS’s have their workshops booked solid for weeks ahead.

deviant
    Free Member

Cheeky buggers the lot of you….i’ve never done a shock so want it done properly.
    Headsets, BBs, cassettes, chains, brakes, tyres etc I’m fine with.

Never had a problem with an LBS fitting internet sourced gear, it’s the changing world we live in, adapt or fail.
    Just this week I had them swap over the running gear from a steel HT to an Alu one….at £100 odd quid they did well out of it….the sanctimony on this thread is strong.

Sod it, I’ll try it myself tomorrow and use an LBS if/when I cock it up.

singlespeedstu

Sod it, I’ll try it myself tomorrow and use an LBS if/when I cock it up.

It’s just held on by two bolts.I’m struggling to see how it could go wrong.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some cheap steak from Lidl, but I want my local restaurant to cook it and serve it properly for a cheeky little part fee, as I don’t have the right grill or knowledge to do so myself. They just don’t seem interested somehow, the lazy buggers. Are all chefs driving round in Rolls Royces?

ctk
    Free Member

Headsets, BBs, cassettes, chains, brakes, tyres etc I’m fine with

Much easier than any of these.

sharkattack

Cheeky buggers the lot of you….i’ve never done a shock so want it done properly.

It’s two bolts! How did you learn how to use laptops and internets and forums before allen keys?

I’ve just bought some cheap steak from Lidl, but I want my local restaurant to cook it and serve it properly for a cheeky little part fee

This. Most parts come with free fitting at decent bike shops.

Pieface

There’s at least 2 shops here in Sheffield that have realised that competing with the internet is difficult, and are more than happy to fit your internet sourced items. If they need to supply extra parts they tend to price match.

Sometimes I buy things thinking I’ll fit it myself then find I don’t have time / CBS

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

It could be a bit of a nightmare if you can’t remove the original bushings?

Correct me if I’m wrong….

wwaswas

I’d be worried as an lbs that you presented the wrong length/stroke/tune shock for fitting and then blamed the shop for any subsequent problems.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some cheap steak from Lidl, but I want my local restaurant to cook it and serve it properly for a cheeky little part fee

But thats not really the same thing at all is it…

legend
    Free Member

alandavidpetrie79 – Member
    It could be a bit of a nightmare if you can’t remove the original bushings?
    Correct me if I’m wrong….

Top reducers will need moved from old to new assuming new Ines haven’t been ordered. If the shock has a bush in, what will be, the lower eyelet that will also need removed due to Giants system of mounting straight onto the pivot axle. If going from Fox/RS to Cane Creek it also ain’t going to fit onto said axle as the eyelets are a different size.

Definitely odd to pick your own shock without knowing how to fit it, but still scope for a balls-up

orangeboy
    Free Member

Does seem a little odd not being able to book job in by phone , at work we are a little slow with email responce as we only tend to check it at the start of the day.

Id not turn down work no matter how simple. Lbs times are piss poor

jamj1974

I’ve just bought some cheap steak from Lidl, but I want my local restaurant to cook it and serve it properly for a cheeky little part fee, as I don’t have the right grill or knowledge to do so myself. They just don’t seem interested somehow, the lazy buggers. Are all chefs driving round in Rolls Royces?

I imagine shop will make more on labour than parts. So ordering from elsewhere and expecting fitting isn’t asking too much – when you expect to pay fairly for the fitting as the OP suggests he is used to.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Just this week I had them swap over the running gear from a steel HT to an Alu one….at £100 odd quid

Crikey.. That about an hours work.. maybe a bit longer with tea and cake

Maybe look into how easy bike maintenance is with just a few tools

poah
    Free Member

I get round this problem by buying from a store that fits the correct bushes. Can easily swap them though if I have to

nonk
    Free Member

It might go like this
    Bloke buys expensive stuff online even though he doesn’t know how do to a simple job like fit a shock
    He more than probably will moan if it costs more the three quid and will almost certainly blame the shop if anything happens to the shock or the frame at any point in the next three years
    Might not be you op but it is an awful lot of people .

mikey3
    Free Member

Anyone who thinks what he wants to pay a bike shop to do is the same as taking your own steak to a restaurant is clearly insane.

doomanic

My LBS refuse to price match. I went in to see if they’d match the internet price on a Giant Control Post and the best they were prepared to offer was free fitting, effectively charging me 30 quid to swap a saddle over and tighten 3 bolts…

spev

Where in South Wales are You? Give me a ring tomorrow if you near Swansea (Thebikehub 01792 466944) and as long as we can establish correct length etc I can most likely fit in in tomorrow for you

nonk
    Free Member

Doomanic they can’t match it !!
    They would sell you the post and spent workshop time fitting it which they should be charging for

wiggles
    Free Member

I imagine shop will make more on labour than parts. So ordering from elsewhere and expecting fitting isn’t asking too much – when you expect to pay fairly for the fitting as the OP suggests he is used to.

Fitting a shock is going to be about £10, you think bike shops would exist if they made less than a tenner selling a £400-500 shock?

It’s more the assumption that stuff is cheaper online that gets annoying, people will buy something online to get fitted without checking what the shop would charge for the parts.

I got asked to price match wiggle on an item a few days ago, when I checked they were selling for £5 more than I was the customer just assumed it was cheaper on wiggle without even checking

shindiggy
    Free Member

Phoned my LBS this morning for a small part – said they had a selection. when I got there the selection was neatly arranged on the counter. The mechanic then came over and went over the pro’s and cons of each. When I made my decision he got it out of the package to make sure it worked properly before I left.

So not all bad

Red Kite Bikes

My old LBS, glad to see they’re still decent.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Can’t really see what the problem is with the OP’s requirement. He’s bought a shock & wants it fitting by a bike shop.
    Fitting it may not be difficult but neither is the request for a shop to do it.

tjagain

AS others have siad – bike shops around my way tend to be booked up for months and a fair minimum price would be £25 IMO – would you pay that? As for £100 to swap parts over – sounds incredibly cheap if it included cabling and setting up gears etc. I’m a decent mechanic and that would take me a good few hours to do it properly – new cables, set up gears, cut brake hoses to length and bleed brakes, set up brakes properly centralising them and ensuring everything runs silently

zanelad
    Free Member

Perhaps they just can’t be arsed with such a small job. We had a broken roof tile and it was a right pain trying to find someone to replace it.

Found someone eventually. He came round and did it there and then. Cost me £90 but as I wasn’t prepared to go onto the roof myself I paid it willingly. Had I been able to reach the tile from the ladder I would’ve done so, but bugger climbing half way up the roof now. Done it when I was younger, but I’d be more than likely to feature on the next installment of 24 Hours in A&E if I tried now.

Not everyone wants any job no matter how small. We often turn down work that’s unprofitable, or more trouble than it’s worth. Having said that we also supply a very small customer, hold stock at our expense and deliver small quantities without up charge. But then I ike him and he never takes the piss. Build a relationship with your LBS. Use them or lose them.

jamj1974

Fitting a shock is going to be about £10, you think bike shops would exist if they made less than a tenner selling a £400-500 shock?

Yes,when the average profit margins are wafer thin. Several posters on here in the industry have said pretty much this – and that their shops survive on the worship trade.

deviant
    Free Member

Should add the shock is the same eye to eye as the existing one and even the same brand so every chance of having the same bushings….just can’t believe a shop wont crack that job out and take my money!

spev

Like I said, phone me tomorrow if your near to Swansea and i’ll fit it if you get it to me early enough ( We keep Saturdays relatively clear of jobs for this reason) bear in mind that the lower mount runs through the lower link so will need the cranks and rear wheel removing to ensure the lower link and chainstays don’t fo flapping in the wind, its not a 5 minute job so will more likely cost around £20 or so (depending on bolts being seized etc)

wiggles
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Do no LBSs want my trade?….is business that good!?’ is closed to new replies.