Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Do my car brake pads need replacing really?
  • ell_tell
    Free Member

Yes, might have helped if I mentioned the make/model.

Its a Mazda 3. 04 plate so pretty old now.

Jamie
    Free Member

Seems a bit steep.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Not always a fair comparison I know but a quick search on Euro Car Parts suggests around £80 for discs F&R, and maybe £60 for pads…

Jamie
    Free Member

Buy the parts yourself, and get a recommend mobile mechanic to come over and fit them?

munrobiker
    Free Member

That does sound dear to me. I am doing our 2002 Mazda MX5s brakes over the Christmas break and that is costing me £90 for pads and discs all round. Fitting myself, though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The only way that quote can be so high is if they are using genuine pads and disks surely……

Whats the car….. May be quirks that make the disks harder to fit and command more labour….. Such as a land rover defenders front disk……

ell_tell
    Free Member

I’m not even sure that genuine Mazda discs and pads exist do they? I imagine they just used Bosch or similar and stick em in a Mazda box?

Its a MK1 Mazda 3 so I don’t think particularly onerous or quirky to work on? Fitting myself is probably out of the question to be honest. I’m fine with bike related maintenance but brakes on a car, I’m not sure I’d feel safe my wife or I driving it afterwards!

I’ll ring around a few other places to get some comparisons then if that seems high, which it does to me based on parts alone.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Your right re the mazda disks …. They dont exist but buying them from the dealer as mazda disks will be more pricy.

I figured at that cost it was a big bimmer or some other luxo barge…..

andyl
    Free Member

OEMs will buy in quality parts put in their own boxes – eg Peugeot use Purflux filters with the Peugeot logo on and in a Peugeot box. Audi normally use Pagid pads which again might be in an Audi box if you get them from the dealer.

When you look at ECP and the like you will see cheapo brand pads and discs and you will see OEM quality ones from brand names. The part codes at ECP indicate if they are OEM quality or just compatible and there is a guide there.

I normally stick Pagid or Mintex (same company now I think) for brakes, especially pads. Filters I also stick to OEM and either buy direct from the dealer to be sure (in the case of oil and diesel) or buy stuff I know is OEM – eg I buy genuine Bosch diesel filters and Purflux oil filters from AEP direct.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Yep, no luxury German exec here, just a mid sized Japanese hatch 😀

That price was from an independent garage too, not the main dealer. I dread to think what they would charge…

munrobiker
    Free Member

Should they not be the same as a Focus?

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Do my car brake pads need replacing really?’ is closed to new replies.