Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 154 total)
  • Do most STW ers now own a road /cx bike?
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Moar and moar road and cx bikes appearing every day..
    So who doesn’t actually have one yet?

aP
    Free Member

How about those who’ve had road and cx bikes for 20 years or more?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Might be quicker asking who still has/rides an mtb?

ads678

I’ve got a road bike, cheap by most on here’s standards thought. Btwin Triban 5.

weeksy

No, had one, 3 of them… they’re rubbish.

Dogsby

I have two: one summer and one winter.

Dobbo

“Might be quicker asking who still has/rides an mtb?”

True, I only do for social reasons!

cupra
    Free Member

Road bike, cx bike, ss commuter road bike and one mtb….

soma_rich
    Free Member

I like to have different bikes for different rides. Makes some rides more fun, so I do have road, CX, Full suss and a 29er. All take different sized tubes which is a pain!

iainc

I have 4 bikes, 3 of them have drop bars 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

Only the members who have bikes I think.

medoramas
    Free Member

I ride a road bike occasionally (mainly some extended commutes), but it’s borrowed, so I haven’t got one personally! 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

We need a poll. I don’t have anything except mtbs although one doing commuter service with hybrid tyres.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Fairly sure this is Roadtrackworld (still wishes for a roadie forum split at least so every other thread I look into I’m not fooled and find it’s actually a road discussion 😉 ).

Myself, no I don’t have a road bike. Last road bike I had was back in Uni days, and that was a very long time ago.

Would never have a CX bike and I don’t “get” the point of riding terrain suited for MTB but then have to get off and carry the bike because it’s basically a road bike off road. Huh? 😕

That’s not to say I may not get a road bike some time. I can still be convinced, but I’d be discussing it on an actual road bike forum, not here 😛

stevied
    Free Member

Just one MTB here. Have no inclination to buy a road bike and even less to buy a CX bike

MoreCashThanDash

I’m only ever allowed three bikes, so one road, one MTB and a commuter, currently a CX bike with guards and racks.

A mate has recently sold his road and MTB bikes and got a CX with a set of wheels for road and another set for off road. I love the idea of the simplicity of that but my addiction to “n+1” fantasies makes it unlikely!

jam-bo

road bike? its all about the turbo and a trainerroad subscription now.

don’t even have to go outside, can post on here at the same time….

Tracey

No, never appealed to me.

whitestone
    Free Member

One road, one commuter/tourer, one MTB.

Had a road bike for over forty years now, MTBs weren’t around when I were a lad!

Yak

Yes – one cheap winter bike for ‘training’ . So it doesn’t get used much. That’s going to change this year though and it will see some proper use.

DezB
    Free Member

Mountain bikers have all been driven to the Chat forum 😉
    I have cross and road (for commuting) bikes, but don’t feel the same way about them as I do my lovely love mountain bike of joyousness.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep. Most recently bought and currently most ridden bike is a grrrravel bike. Gets muddy pretty much every ride, though.

dragon
    Free Member

I have both road and CX, and as a result almost never ride my mtb anymore. I just can’t be bothered with the faff of mtbing.

stumpy01

Yeah, I’ve got a road bike. Mainly for keeping fit and getting a decent amount of miles in my legs.

I find road riding pretty boring, but it serves a purpose. There are glimmers of enjoyment, but nothing like on the mountain bike.

lunge

2 x Road bikes (1 winter, 1 summer) and a view to add 1 more to that this year.
    1 x MTB (a hardtail), rarely gets ridden but when it does I do enjoy it.
    1 x Utility bike (a Kona MinUte), this gets used lots.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I’ve had road bikes for 32 years and MTBs 23 years and can still enjoy both.

Would never have a CX bike and I don’t “get” the point of riding terrain suited for MTB but then have to get off and carry the bike because it’s basically a road bike off road. Huh?

Round my way there’s plenty of rides I can do that are 50/50 tarmac and hardpacked trails so a CX makes good sense.

DaRC_L

1 road bike – summer commuting, occasional sportive use
    1 cross bike – winter commuting and general rat bike duties
    2 MTB’s – summer & winter,
    2 spare MTB’s (my old cast offs) justified as they are my wife and son’s although I might see more blue moons than them riding them 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

I dont have an mtb anymore. I built one up never used it and got rid for a road bike. A road and a cx suit my needs much better than mtb

rocketman
    Free Member

Have a got a Giant CFR 2

It has its moments but I don’t really enjoy sitting on a bike and churning away. I have to have a constant stream of obstacles and technical challenges to keep my mind occupied otherwise I think about the pedalling and stuff too much

D0NK

Got a road bike on C2W and was in awe of how much faster it was than a slicked up mtb, too nice and no guards for commuting tho so got a pompino aswell, after a few years got bored of road commuting so swapped it for a CX and realised it’s a lot of fun for more than just commuting. Still do “lots” of mtbing but as most of my saddle time is getting to/from work I may aswell make it as fun as possible (either by going really quickly on a road bike or really quickly offroad on a CX)

I don’t “get” the point of riding terrain suited for MTB but then have to get off and carry the bike because it’s basically a road bike off road

agreed that would be silly (or would possibly be a proper CX race) but then I don’t take my CX bike places where I’d have to carry it. It’s more* for routes where there’s so much tame stuff or tarmac that a cx is more fun than an MTB.

Tho obviously some CX riding gods will whip down a descent I struggle with on my gnarpoon.

*IMO. Purists will, rightly, point out that proper CX bikes are for racing around a field for an hour at a time in deepest winter

kayla1
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of rides out on a road bike but I prefer the flow and obstacles you get off road. I use my mtb on the road for getting about though.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Yep

CX bike – racing duties and now winterized for commuting
    Road bike – used to do some racing but off out now and again
    LT hardtail

and just bought a voodoo SS frame

xherbivorex
    Free Member

CX (well, “adventure road”) bike is my most recent purchase, although i really only use it for commuting purposes. I have 4 MTBs but i’m selling 3 of them and will probably replace the el guapo later in the year, and maybe get another modestly priced hardtail for longer XC ride duties too.
    I’ll never be MTB free though.

NormalMan

jam bo – Member
    road bike? its all about the turbo and a trainerroad subscription now.
    don’t even have to go outside, can post on here at the same time….

Then you’re not trying hard enough 😉

rene59
    Free Member

Mountain bikes only for me. No interest in road/cx bikes whatsoever.

fingerbang
    Free Member

ive had a road bike for 5 years, primarily to do triathlons then realized I could commute on it as long as I didn’t work up too much of a sweat in the morning as no showers at work.

Now my svelte Felt f85 has turned into a hack bike with crudcatchers and flat pedals.

therefore my next ‘n+1’ would be a CX bike I could use as a commuter and then I could smarten up my road bike for proper roady-ing as I live in forest of bowland so might as well.

on the other hand I really fancy a slack short travel 29er as my next n+1 but that would probably have to replace my full sus which im in love with so won’t happen

more bikes is always the answer

cupra
    Free Member

Would never have a CX bike and I don’t “get” the point of riding terrain suited for MTB but then have to get off and carry the bike because it’s basically a road bike off road. Huh?

Round my way there’s plenty of rides I can do that are 50/50 tarmac and hardpacked trails so a CX makes good sense.

Same here, mtb would be overkill but road bike with slicks pointless on the off road sections.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Two (and two more in bits) mountain bikes. Never owned a road bike, don’t want one. The only reason I can see for owning a road bike is if theres something wrong with you or you live in a crap part of the country where theres no accessible off road biking.

Similar for a CX bike but part of me, even though they’re more wrong than road bikes, wants one for long distance trail recces. Never bought one though as it’d never be used. In a way, it would be even more useless than my Curtis singlespeed which I rarely ride but looks pretty.

richmtb

Nope

My “road bike” is an old Stumpjumper with slicks

antigee

now own a road /cx bike?

always owned a road bike, well from before Punk so that is a while

enjoy riding 100% off road but not always possible time wise and have more friends that ride road than MTB so switched to a CX to get in road miles but have some fun along the way and sometimes just ride gravel*

*[fashion]but can’t keep up[/statement]

enjoy the variety of the threads on STW and if doesn’t interest I opt not to read

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘Do most STW ers now own a road /cx bike?’ is closed to new replies.