• This topic has 185 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 186 total)
  • Do moderators on this site moderate?
  • howarthp

Debate

Drac

Yes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Moderately.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Does a woodchuck chuck wood?

howarthp

It wasn’t baseballs 🙂

Drac

You didn’t break any rules as you can say bastards.

howarthp

If only I’d known that.

Tripster thread isn’t closed though. Still being ignored

Bastards

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Drac

Tripster thread isn’t closed though. Still being ignored

Bastards

😆

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

laissez-faire moderation, intervention only in the most extreme non-legal situations is the way to be.

Theres nothing wrong with banter, swearing, crude humour IMO as long as it does not descend into sustained abuse and/or illegal activities.

matt_outandabout

Tools of the trade. 😉

JulianA
    Free Member

Yes.

And thanks for removing my crap thread last weekend.

mogrim

Theres nothing wrong with banter, swearing, crude humour IMO as long as it does not descend into sustained abuse and/or illegal activities.

<wondering how chestercopperpot gets away with being a ****/>

sweepy
    Free Member

‘Light hand on the tiller’ in my view.
    Bit prescriptive when it comes to language but worse things happen at sea. I just rely on the swear filter.

Northwind

Yes they do. But erratically, I’ve been banned for a joke but I’ve never been banned for being an orrible loudmouthed ****, that’s just weird 😆

colournoise

Having been a mod on a fairy large forum (around 120 000 members IIRC) in a previous life, I’d say the STW mods do a decent job. A fairly light touch, humour, and judicious use of the hammer seem to keep things on a fairly even keel.

In my experience, the best moderation is that you don’t obviously see. That, and a lot of big-ish forums get faily self-moderating after a while.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I don’t get it. It looks from here like no one answered your question on the Tripster thread then you got in a strop and had a pop at Drac.

They definitely do moderate, I logged in once to a screen that simply said “You should know better than that”.

howarthp

No strop – time on my hands after my heart op today and the bringing together of a few threads I started – the musings of a man coming off general anaesthetic.

Drac’s a decent chap

No-one’s answered my ATR questions though…

munrobiker
    Free Member

My answer is if you do get one, build it tastefully. I am staggered at how horrid some people have made their tripsters. You, howarthp, are now the Hope and saviour of the Tripster thread. Go forth with good taste.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@mogrim – You should of used dollar signs to censor yourself, did you mean c$$t?

Cougar

I think if forum moderation is so efficient and unintrusive that you have to question whether we do it at all, that’s a win. No-one notices a good IT department but everyone notices a bad one.

Anyway. A better (genuine) question might be,

How would you have us moderate differently?

Cougar

Also,

I have no idea what you’re on about re: Tripsters. Not seen any reported posts though.

howarthp
    trademark
    Free Member

I logged in once to a screen that simply said “You should know better than that”.

That, or similar, happened to me recently and I had absolutely no idea what it meant until now.
    I’m not abusive and don’t swear so just why I got it now baffles me.

I had a post removed the other day and all it contained was an answer to a geographical question and a smiley comment on someone else’s humorous answer.
    I just assumed one of the STW clique wanted to win

sbob
    Free Member

howarthp – Member

Hopefully this should answer it

I’d just like to say thankyou for drawing me to that thread. It is full of love.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Yes and I owe them much for it after removing “that escalated quickly” threads in the past.

Drac

I don’t get it. It looks from here like no one answered your question on the Tripster thread then you got in a strop and had a pop at Drac.
    They definitely do moderate, I logged in once to a screen that simply said “You should know better than that”.

This thread was posted after 2 others turned into the normal odd humour ones. He’s not being serious.

howarthp

A night in a hospital and still I don’t get an answer and it’s about tubeless, 1×11 and SRAM/Shimano compatibility.

Drac – do you know the answer? It’s a bit like Lost. I do, however, know what oysters taste like.

I may ask on Mumsnet…

righog
    Free Member

How would you have us moderate differently?

I know this is heresy……………..BUT

I don’t see why, a second thread on the same subject is shut down so quickly. Sometimes the original thread will descend into the usual subjects “debating” with each other…I don’t really have a problem with this but it effectively puts an end to the discussion, for others interested in the thread. A second slower lane thread can sometimes give an outlet and lead to a different take on the same topic. I realise that you can’t have the front page full of threads on the same topic so some closing would be required, just think some are stamped on a bit too quickly…..I am preparing for the flaming !!!!

My Wife is a moderator for Netmums (not to be confused with Mumsnet, which is not ( to my knowledge) moderated)) she is on the main boards and often has some interesting decisions to make.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Eh? You are moaning because no one answered your question on a very busy and long winding thread?
    Give em chance 🙄

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I used to live for mod emails. The hangovers from getting hammered are SO not a good idea at my age though…

slackalice
    Free Member

Everything in moderation, including moderation itself 😀

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Drac and Cougar, for all their considerable assistance, can at times be two of the most belligerent and argumentative people on the forum and have no qualms whatsoever in using their position to assist their own agendas, rather than simply moderate a discussion. It’s typical human politics, I suppose, that power corrupts reason; but it doesn’t have to be.

Are there other moderators?

Drac

No we’re not.

In a more serious note can you give any evidence as to where you believe we’ve abused our power?

howarthp

Oops – what have I started? The thread was started in jest. FWIW I reckon Drac and Cougar do a great job

Drac

It’s nice to know we’re appreciated like any ‘management’ you can’t please everyone but if people believe we’re abusing our power then it can’t be corrected. Can’t say I’ve done it intentionally so I’d like to see why Three Fish believes this.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Oops – what have I started? The thread was started in jest. FWIW I reckon Drac and Cougar do a great job

Now hold on. I just offered an observational criticism. Everyone should be open to criticism, especially moderators. This isn’t a binary matter, where anyone is either good or bad.

In a more serious note can you give any evidence as to where you believe we’ve abused our power?

Off the top of my head I could give any specific recent examples, mainly because I’ve not been reading much here lately. I’m not the only person to have made the observation, though. However, I’ll be sure to point it out to you in future.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I think the OP started this thread to talk to someone, his tripster question will be answered soon enough but guess he’s feeling lonely… 🙄

MrWoppit
    Free Member

No we’re not.

I think it’s a reference to having an opinion and expressing it in a thread. Like you shouldn’t be doing that or something.

mikey3
    Free Member

Is threefish going to be tied to a post and killed with aircraft gun fire now 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 186 total)

The topic ‘Do moderators on this site moderate?’ is closed to new replies.