• This topic has 36 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Klunk.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Do love a hard frost ride!
  • Klunk
    Free Member

oo-er mrs 😀

weeksy

I’m hoping it’s frosty on Fri evening for a ride… Makes the trails really nice when it’s like that.

Klunk
    Free Member

was beautiful out on the trails this morning, grip levels off the charts, though you forget how tough long frozen grass is to ride through. Also discovered that sheep shit and wee in their “beds” I presume to keep warm 😯

ton

ace ride in this morning. my fave type of riding weather.

fasthaggis

Aye,it’s great,those rare times when you can just ride across all the squidgy stuff and link up new routes.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I had the opposite at the weekend.
    Lots of wet mud, slidy gravel and occasional patches of sheet ice meant me landing on my head once and ass a lot.

warpcow
    Free Member

They’re hero-dirt’s underrated cousin.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Was in the woods at 0645 and very pleased to see the bogs were mainly frozen although trying to find any trails under the thick carpet of leaves was a mission! Managed to keep rubber side down for the whole ride which was nice given my recent propensity for crashing but my mate who built most of the trails there came a cropper when on the wrong line and gashed his knee..

faustus

night riding planned for the next 2 nights for me. Went out yesterday and the trails are pretty dry already anyway, and all the fallen leaves have gone from soggy to scrunchy – nice to get that kicking leaves sound when you’re riding.

richardthird

Dry here in Sussex, lovely. Frosty Dust will be a new experience tomorrow morning 😛

rocketman
    Free Member

-4 in Stafford this morning. I had to have the heated seats on low. Again.

MoreCashThanDash

-3 this morning in the Erewash Alps for my commute. How cold does it have to get before a Rapha winter hat isn’t too warm? Made myself look even more of a tit for nothing!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

was minus plenty on the open rural stretches of my commute at 6.30 this morning, but no wind and bone dry roads. My buff was solid ice where all the condensed breath had frozen, and yet my hands were sweating in my Specialized ‘lobster’ gloves (I don’t suffer from cold hands and it’s rarely cold enough for me to use them in the UK, but my normal winter gloves have just died).

GolfChick
    Free Member

Made last nights ride home bloody freezing though! The frost hadn’t lain enough to harden the ground but the air and therefore my hands were numb at several points, hopefully frost lasts until Friday night for the next night ride planned.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Proper good commute in this morning, made for fun on the canal path that runs along side my normal bridleway ride, singlespeed cyclocross felt like I was flying, and nearly did when intention was confused with ability.. only downer was I forgot sunnies and had to ride the last road section with that really bright low sun in my eyes..

kayla1
    Free Member

We had a good frozen ride out as well- up to Ryhope, back down through Seaham for a cuppa and home along the coastal path. Back in time for the end of Bargain Hunt with a huge bowl of homemade veggie soup and a wodge of bread 😀

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

Riding Swinley this eve. Still very crisp in the shade at lunchtime today.

Klunk
    Free Member

I think same again for me tomorrow morning 15-20 miles summer tyre singlespeeding before breakfast and the thaw, makes you glad to have tubeless though!

chakaping
    Free Member

Think I might pop out now.

🙂

rOcKeTdOg

not so nice commuting, low sun so i couldn’t see and at the back of my mind i’m thinking those idiots who only clear a letterbox size area of ice from their windscreen can’t see me either

Klunk
    Free Member

not so nice commuting,

there was a lot of black ice around seems most of the back roads here were untreated, fortunately only have ride a short distance on roads.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Klunk, where are you? I’m in Oxfordshire and 10 miles of my commute is rural back roads that don’t get treated but thankfully they were totally dry and grippy this morning. Last cold snap was after a damp spell here and yes that was sketchy!

mountainman

A short spin before lunch just as frost was thawed,so some lanes a mix of semi-crunchy mud n slides.
    May get out earlier tommorow so local estate Woodstock be the target.

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

Nice and grippy at Swinley last night. So much nicer than the wet and muck.

proutster
    Free Member

Same around Hayfield last night, -5C but great, fast-running, fun 😀

pictonroad

Dry here in Sussex, lovely. Frosty Dust will be a new experience tomorrow morning

Yep. Splendid ride out in last night in the frosty Steyning woods trails. Crunchy leaves and grippy frozen ground. Gave my brand new bike a proper ride out. Bloomin’ marvellous.

(I don’t actually mind the filth but I’m not taking the new bike out in it. 😡 )

nedrapier

Good ride round Blackdown last night, also Sussex! Amazing how much warmer it was up on the top. Felt like 5 degrees difference. Hard frost and in the valley, some parts above freezing up on the top.

Same on your ride, picton?

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Stunning ride in today. Golden light on golden leaves.

TM

Klunk
    Free Member

was indeed lovely out today 🙂 colder than yesterday but seem to thaw quicker

fatboyjon

I had my first clean ride in months last night poaching cheeky trails around the Goyt with hardly a tyre print left.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I rode the black at glentress on sunday

I say rode… carried bike through drifts.

That is to much frost.

dovebiker

90minutes at zero degrees last night across the Aldershot ranges – very clear conditions at top of Caesar’s Camp watching the planes landing at Heathrow and twinkling lights of London

MoreCashThanDash

Colder this morning, the Erewash Canal was iced over in places.

pictonroad

Ned, below zero in town and same in the woods.

pedlad

Love riding hard frozen ground with plenty of grip – have mates though who freeze themselves riding confidence-wise at the first sign of any white grass tufts!

Having said that I am slightly nervous about a first trip to BPW next week if it stays this cold!

Klunk
    Free Member

lovely again this morning

last for a while here, temps on the rise though it’s still quite dry for the time of year 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

though it’s still quite dry for the time of year

same section of trail in 2008

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Do love a hard frost ride!’ is closed to new replies.