Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Do kids talk about the 90s like we talked about the 1940s?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Occurred to me that (being of a Certain Age) we as children in 70s/80s would consider any reference/discussion relating to a time 40yrs earlier (1930s-1940s) to be unfathomably ancient and quaint.

What do kids (of you younger parents) think of the 80s/90s?

the-muffin-man

What do kids (of you younger parents) think of the 80s/90s?

The same as we did of the 50s!

My 13 year old daughter calls Radio 2 – “Radio Dead People”

johndoh
    Free Member

I have no idea of what the answer is but I have thought the same myself quite a few times recently.

One thing that makes my mind boggle is that the war finished 22 years before I was born. 22 years ago this year it was all about Oasis v Blur instead.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

What does she call radios 3&4?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Radio? is that like Spotify or summink?

jimjam
    Free Member

Less of the “WE” malvern rider.

jam-bo

i hate the fact radio 2 has started playing some music I like.

they played pearl jam the other day!!!

RustySpanner

My dad used to talk about the 1920’s.
    🙂

Whenever we went for a trip to London in the 80’s, he still used to look for the nearest Lyons Corner House.
    The eternal search for the lost Nippie.
    😀

richmtb

What’s also important to remember is that the pace of change increases.

The difference between 1950 and 1980 is a lot smaller than the difference between 1980 and 2010.

That’s one of the challenges of getting old. The rate of change increases as you get older and as you age you are less able to deal with it.

Anyway…

…whatevs grandads

julians
    Free Member

My son (aged 5) refers to any time period before he was born as ‘ the olden days’

alpin
    Free Member

As a kid I always assumed everyone saw in black and white. Couldn’t work out how everyone could suddenly see in colour.

PJM1974
    Free Member

We live in a very post-modern age, teenagers happily wander around wearing T shirts emblazoned with Rolling Stones or Ramones album covers, electronica and house seems to be enjoying a revival as current bands happily acknowledge influence of Kraftwerk and Bowie. Yoof music is specifically designed to get on the tits of anyone over the age of 23, I may have told my stepsons that their music “is just noise”. Meanwhile, my stepsons are both extremely pleased with their replica 1990 Nike Air trainers. In many respects, not much has changed and teenagers seem to accept retro culture far more readily than I did 25 years ago.

But otherwise, I guess the seventies and eighties are as alien to a teenager today as the forties, fifties and sixties (delete as applicable) were to us. Imagine surviving today with no internet, social media, crap cars, three television channels all with rubbish programming that close down at 23:30, blue rinses, having to manually tune electronic devices, cassettes, 48k, Arthur Scargill, Russell Harty, leaded fuels, monochrome newspapers, wildcat strikes, Fatcha, mass unemployment, social division, the imminent threat of nuclear Armageddon, racist policemen, everyday sexism, having to explain to your granny why Anarchy in the UK isn’t just about a load of spotty teenagers spitting everywhere and terrible food.

bluebird
    Free Member

Yes, why wouldn’t they? 70’s kids talking about the 40’s is the same time difference as 10’s kids will talking about 80’s. But, I’d say the world has changed more in the last 40 years, so perhaps 10’s kids think of the world 20 years ago as a massively different place.

jimdubleyou

The BBC did a program where a family went back in time for the weekend – Kids dealing with older technology was quite amusing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06zyt8q

vickypea
    Free Member

My 11-year old son agrees with me that there are much greater differences between the 1970s and 1940s than between now and the 1990s.

ads678

One thing that makes my mind boggle is that the war finished 22 years before I was born. 22 years ago this year it was all about Oasis v Blur instead.

Oasis would have won that war if they’d released Wonderwall instead of Roll with it!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Do kids talk about the 90s like we talked about the 1940s?’ is closed to new replies.