Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Do it all winter road/cross bike with discs?
  • jet26
    Free Member

Anyone done this?

Currently have cross and winter road bikes, both rim braked.

Considering one bike but with discs and run two sets of wheels. Needs to have guards and rack option.

Anyone done this?

Kinesis pro6 would do it but open to suggestions and advice.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat, but as an upgrade to a cheaper road bike.

Current favourite is the Rose DX Cross 2000.
    About £1100, alu frame, carbon fork, 105, decent wheels, BB7s

D0NK

pro6 are nice – but I would say that, Ti ATR for money no object. Genesis day one for aspiring SSers, they also have geared, rose, pinnacle and boardman are supposedly all worth a serious look and kaffenback should be reet if you want steel.

ampthill

Went for a ride at the weekend with a mate. He was on a croix de fer frame he’d built to his own spec. He did his own spec to go lower weight and lower grating gearing. very happy with it. He also uses it for touring and well sell his tourer

cp

I did this with a Boardman Team CX last year.

My trouble is that I prefer quite a different set up on on the CX compared to the winter road, beyond just wheels.

eg. the CX has a shorter stem and the seat further forwards.

I fairly quickly acquired another cheap frame and built that up as the cheap winter road bike so I can just jump on and ride rather than faffing with changing bits over.

jam-bo
    MoreCashThanDash

Pinnacle Arkrose 3. Towpath commuter, slicked up winter audax bike.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

18 Bikes Monsal?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I did exactly this earlier in the year. Settled for a Whyte Suffolk (although that is more biased towards the road end).

finbar
    Free Member

Aren’t On-One / Planet X / Shedfire / Brant / whatever about to launch a frame of this ilk?

jet26
    Free Member

Rose dx cross looks good but looks v short in the top tube?

Can’t find any geometry for them either – anyone seen it anywhere?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

You can also get a similar Canyon called the InFlite, or the Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 is on sale at Freeborn bikes for £1080

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

looks v short in the top tube?

I think it’s more “tall in the seatube/headtube” to maximise the space for carrying as most people would run ~2cm of spacers and 6″ of seatpost and the steeper the seatube the more room for mud at the BB (but the shorter the top tube untill you correct it with a layback post).

househusband

I’m in the market for pretty much the same… just sold a carbon cyclocross bike that was too small for me. I’m holding fire for a few months until I see what the big manufacturers are going to come out with for 2015. There’s a couple I’ve already got my eye on; Norco Threshold and GT Grade. Wonder what changes Giant may make to the next TCX SLR…

Jamie
    Free Member

Same here, HH. After selling my Croix De Fer for not quite being what I was after, just sitting tight till September/October.

Cheaper hydros/11 speed 105/15mm axles etc is enough to make me wait to see what Pinnacle/Giant/GT/Rose/Norco come out with.

I know Pinnacle will be having something with hydros for £1.2k-ish.

GT Grade

Looks like it has chuff all mud clearance.

Ideal for the gravel of California, but not so good for the places with a) weather, and b) mud.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1, I’m stuck in a loop, I’ve been wanting a cross bike for years, but there always seems to be something better due next year, 105 hydro’s should be the tipping point!

Should probably buy a cheep-ass canti bargin from the classifides in the meantime.

househusband

GT Grade

Looks like it has chuff all mud clearance. [/quote]

And is uuuUUUUuuugly. And it’s a GT…

Jamie
    Free Member

Y’know. I quite like the looks of it.

Anyway, with Giant already announcing, the very nice looking, new Defy models. Hopefully there will be some info on spec/release dates of the 2015 TCX range soon.

Maybe they will even get the bikes released in time for the CX season starting for once.*

*they won’t.

househusband

Didn’t see that thread on the GT Grade… I just wish they’d move on from their fixation with the twin-triangle frame design!

Indeed, Giant won’t!

Also Cannondale.

househusband

Didn’t see that thread on the GT Grade… I just wish they’d move on from their fixation with the twin-triangle frame design!

Indeed, Giant won’t!

Also Cannondale.

Ben_H

Cotic Escapade?

About £1,600 in this build, but obviously depends on what you want / your budget.

Jamie
    Free Member

About £1,600 in this build, but obviously depends on what you want / your budget.

Which seems a lot of money.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I love my TCX. Had to get a bit creative on the rear mudguard but it was worth it. With 700×38 twin rails I held my own on a club run.

geordiepaul
    Free Member

I just got a Trek Domane disc.
    Disc, guard mounts, lots of clearance.
    I’ve changed most of the components on the base build as it came with Sora and uber heavy wheels. Now running ultegra with hope/stans wheels.
    Would easily go cross with the right tyres.

oxym0r0n

Which seems a lot of money.

It does a bit but depends how much you shop around – currently building a NOS Cotic X: pro2 evo on Velocity A23 disc; Whisky carbon fork; TRP Spyre; 105; King headset; Salsa carbon post; Salsa pro moto ti stem etc. for considerably less – I’ll post pics when it’s finished!

wonnyj
    Free Member

Jamie why did you sell you Cdf?

I’m considering going for the posh 931 version as a do it all. Could slam stem for CX and flip up for commuting etc

anagallis_arvensis

No offence (I ride an orange five afterall) but that Cotic is gopping.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve got an amusing mental image of a T-Rex riding it.

Apologies to the owner.

😆

chakaping
    Free Member

On the Boardman CX Team – it doesn’t have a mudguard eyelet on the fork. I found that out the hard way and Halfords HQ were a bit shitty about it.

Aren’t On-One / Planet X / Shedfire / Brant / whatever about to launch a frame of this ilk?

Pretty sure it was gonna be road orientated.

wilsonthecat
    Free Member

Picked up a Eastway CX 2.0, decent components, comfortable frame
    frame, excellent choice.

cp

On the Boardman CX Team – it doesn’t have a mudguard eyelet on the fork. I found that out the hard way and Halfords HQ were a bit shitty about it.

Is that the current model? My previous one, grey with yellow and black graphics does have a guard mount on the fork.

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie why did you sell you Cdf?

Because I am on a mission to own every CX bike ever made.

….that and it turned out to be a bit too heavy, which is my fault for not knowing what I wanted, rather than the bikes.

I would go for the Tripster ATR over the 931 Croix De Fer, tho. Given they are practically the same price.

chakaping
    Free Member

cp – Yes the shiny new one.

It said fully mudguard compatible on the Boardman site so I ordered one.

When I noticed it was missing later, Halfords said “we aren’t Boardman, it’s not our problem”. Then the detail on the Boardman site changed.

The store were quite helpful, but Halfords HQ were arseholes about it.

cp

Oh dear 🙁 that would have been a deal breaker for me and I’m sure many many others.

honourablegeorge

What tyres are on your crests on that Escapade, Ben H?

Tubeless?

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Kinesis Pro6 and Tripster ATR would be a good choice, (let you know on ATR when its built up)
    Also Cotic Escapede (or roadrate for stright bars)
    But I am a Bit biased to them for some reason 😉

Also I CAN’T believe no one mentioned the Saracen Hack or their new one the Avro YET!!!!!!!!
    http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/road

Jamie
    Free Member

The Hack 2 seems pricey for the spec list. £1k for Tiagra?

The Avro seems nice.

ska-49
    Free Member

Pinnacle Arkos 3- Mine has been excellent

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Raleigh have just announced their new cross bikes.
    I’m liking the RX Pro

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/ProductRange/Product/Default.aspx?pc=1&pt=275&pg=12143

Alu frame
    Carbon fork – tapered headtube, through axle
    SRAM Rival 2×11 with hydraulic disk brakes
    £1500 list price

iainc

saracen hack in my LBS, crazy good prices !!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Do it all winter road/cross bike with discs?’ is closed to new replies.