Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Do it all long sleave road top?
  • hammy7272
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m looking (if such a thing exists) for a long sleave top that is flexible through a range of temps. Either as just the top or with some base layers underneath.

I would like it to be breathable and windproof as I run quite hot. Not too worried about it being waterproof.

£100 maybe £130?

mogrim

Not sure such a thing exists, I’d be looking at getting something a little less warm and a gillet – just shove the latter in a back pocket when not needed.

hammy7272
    Free Member
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Any lightweight softshell-fronted jersey/jacket.

I don’t get gilets at all – my arms get cold.

TheGingerOne

Whereas I love a gillet as it keeps my chest warm and my arms dry – wearing a jacket or softshell makes my arms very damp through sweat for some reason.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

the kona ones a year back were nice, wool but sold out. this year the best I have is a marino wool one from campag. heritage range. perfect for early commutes and a breathable.

edit: this time of year worn with helly base layer.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Gabba, long sleeve

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Rapha Pro Team Jacket, bit above budget but it’s the best thing Rapha make. Thin merino base layer underneath when it’s just a bit chilly, then a jersey as well when it gets cold.

warton
    Free Member

ground effect baked alsaka?

mooman
    Free Member

Yep. Castelli gabbi.

lilchris
    Free Member

I took a punt on this on the last £75 code day.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/oneten-primavera-long-sleeve-jersey/rp-prod70518

Well impressed. I don’t normally feel the cold so wanted something that was very breathable but kept the wind at bay.
    Added armwarmers underneath at the weekend when it dropped to 2deg

hammy7272
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Thanks very much.

hammy7272
    Free Member

That Oneten jacket looks exactly what I am looking for. Any other similar ones I should consider?

regards

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I’ve got one for sale over here, if that’s any good to you.

LINKY

dr_death
    Free Member

Third for the castelli gabba longsleeve… or they’re doing one with removable sleeves now

prawny

Fourth for the Gabba, but I’d go short sleeve with nanoflex arm warmers-

Edit, that said, if you run hot and you’re not bothered about waterproofness any log sleeve jersey and a range of baselayers, even decathlon are doing a windstopper one now. I tend to go sortsleeve jersey, baselayer arm warmers and gilet almost all winter

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I’d get a windstopper top with zip off sleeves, Gore do one, they class it as a jacket, but its not really..

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gore-bike-wear/phantom-20-windstopper-soft-shell-jacket-ec040399

Mine isn’t Gore, but its windstopper and its fantastic, had it about ten years and still my go to top!!

hammy7272
    Free Member

Nice idea with the arm warmers for added flexibility. Great advice. Thank you.

stumpy01

Cyclestore have got this Endura long sleeve on offer:

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=53099&categoryID=206

tempted to give it a whirl for £45.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve been looking for a long sleeve normal jersey for ages. Just like the bog standard cheap cycling jersey but with long sleeves. They seem really hard to find!

clubber
    Free Member

I’ll do a plus one on a good gilet with decent arm warmers. I find arm warmers really useful as it means all your jerseys can be made into longsleeve tops with them but you can also adjust them while out riding if necessary.

I’ve not bought another long sleeve top since discovering arm warmers

prawny

molgrips, just buy a cheap winter one. Cycle-clothing.co.uk are pretty thin, and the aldi one’s are hardly brushed at all.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t find arm warmers as comfortable as long sleeves. Useful in some circumstances like spring/autumn commuting, when it’s a chilly ride in but a relatively sunny ride home.

clubber
    Free Member

Interesting. What sort of discomfort do you find? I find that mine feel just the same as a long sleeve top…

woody2000

Endura FS260 Pro Jetstream Jersey – you could buy 2 for your budget 🙂

stumpy01

woody2000 – Member
    Endura FS260 Pro Jetstream Jersey – you could buy 2 for your budget

Woody – that’s the one I’ve linked to above. 🙂

Have you got one? Are they any good? I am tempted to get one myself.

hammy7272
    Free Member

The short Gabba top. What is the highest temp. you could wear it in without dying!?

iainc

I have the Endura FS260 one that’s linked above. Great pice of kit, good for close to zero temps with a decent thick base layer and ok for double figs with a think short sleeved base under it. Good secure pockets too

prawny

hammy7272 – Member
    The short Gabba top. What is the highest temp. you could wear it in without dying!?

Castelli say 18 deg, but itailians are a bit wet when it comes to temp ranges so I’d say anything much above 10 would be uncomfortable. But that is my experience of other italian estimates, I’ve not tried a gabba.

woody2000

So it is 🙂

I have got one, very nice it is too. Warm but not overly so, windproof on the front and tops of the arms so you get some breathability under your armpits! Quite slim fitting but we’re all athletes, right? 🙂

FWIW, a med fits me fine at 5’7ish and 73kgs with a bit of a belly.

There does seem to be a jacket and a jersey in the FS260 range, mine is the jersey.

stumpy01

Oh yeah, my link is to a ‘jacket’, rather than a jersey. Just assumed it was Endura’s wording.

5’6 and 75kgs or so, so M sounds about right…..just need to investigate the difference between jacket & jersey!

cheers woody & iainc….

mooman
    Free Member

Just a word of warning on a Gabba sizing .. they very small.
    I`m 5ft8″ and 154lbs .. I went for the size medium for race fit.
    Very very snug .. so much so that doing the zip right up stopped circulation of blood to my head.
    Maybe I have a fat neck? .. swapped the medium for a large anyways.

hammy7272
    Free Member

Quite fancy the Gabba, I’m 6 3 and 90kg. Do you think xl will be ok?

njee20
    Free Member

Assos Intermediate or AirJack 851?

Must say I only wear mine in autumn/winter, but prob not that hot.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve got that dhb jacket in regular fabric and it’s my favourite top for three seasons. In Roubaix it would be even better.

minichops
    Free Member

Giordana Solid?
    Cheap by Italian clobber standards, sort of understated, long front zip, comfy,warm, really well made. Does the job for me. Best roadie top I’ve had in ages.
    For Rapha/Assos poseur wear look elsewhere.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have a couple of the Jetstream jackets – excellent kit but not quite warm enough for sub 8 deg IME. The inner upper arm needs more windstopper so it gets a tad chilly below 8.

Mackem

http://www.torm.cc (T8) + Gilet and/or cheapo wicking base does me for 10 months of the year.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Do it all long sleave road top?’ is closed to new replies.