Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)
  • Do it all 29er hardtail…. if you had to…
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

If you *had* to have a 29er, as a do it all bike, what would you go with?

I’d pin my money on a Cotic Solaris, loved my BFe, until it tried to kill me on many occasions.

Cheers

Ricks

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yelli…..oh yeah,I got one 8)

simondbarnes

I went for a Genesis High Latitude 2×10. Really, really like it.

Rivington Pike #windy by simondbarnes, on Flickr

Dragged myself out #mtb by simondbarnes, on Flickr

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    _tom_
    Free Member

Yeah probably the cotic for me, that one looks great. Although saying that I didnt find my BFe amazing, kinda dull to ride.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Kinesis FF29

Mbnut
    Free Member

If I had some spare cash… a Quarterhorse…. I don’t have much spare cash so it is probably going to be a Buzzard.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Money no object…this

Or I could mug DrJon

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Bronto Reverend. Beautiful bike, meant to be amazing to ride.

Bigmantrials

I am currently torn between the Solaris and FF29, That Solaris up top definitely helps lean me that way!

matt_outandabout

Steel, in a nice colour(Rack mounts, lightish, sprightly, EBB).
    Internal hub gear.
    Hope wheeled and braked.
    Wide alt bars.
    Sprightly seatpost.
    Oh look, someone made some:

baden

I just piked up a stache 8 last week. I took it for its first outing this morning on Hexham Common and it was great. Being up to this point a 29er virgin I don’t have much to compare it to but it flew round.

I managed to find one reduced also which helped somewhat. The 120mm fork and tighter frame means it is a bit more do it all. The only limitation is my skill.

simon_g

Trek Stache is looking really nice for the money.

shortcut

This. It’ll singlespeed, race and get around most trails in the UK.

And I can get two bottles on it.

mattjg
    Free Member

Happy with my Yelli Screamy, I don’t think I’d sacrifice the fun it is for a bit more straight line speed, and it’s no slouch anyhoo. It would do if I had to only have 1 bike.

IMO one has to give the Buzzard serious consideration, near identical geo to the Yelli but less than half the cost.

I had a Swift, very competent, versatile and VFM but it didn’t release my inner grom in the same way.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Nimble 9

mattjg
    Free Member

This is an absolute classic “everyone recommends what they own” thread.

Nimble 9

Ahem. http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/canfield-nimble-9-frame

singlespeedstu

2Souls QH.
    Just awsum.

SS or geared it can do it all.

2013_0329deadwood0038 by multispeedstu, on Flickr

2013_0331welshweekend0040 by multispeedstu, on Flickr

singlecrack
    Free Member

Still a good frame…….who ever owns it……and they’re the bestest …sucker 😆

mattjg
    Free Member

I think we’ve had this conversation before.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Lol …might have . 😉

Euro
    Free Member

Because they look a little different to me, I have trouble telling the frame size from those pics. Any in L/XL?

If i *had* to have one (nothing against the idea, but have no need for one yet) it might as well be the right size and that’s a big large. Something playful and versatile that didn’t feel awkward like some big bikes can.

That QH with it’s low standover looks playful, with a touch of butch lesbian shopping bicycle 😀 Would something like that be the equivalent of an Evil Sov’d styled bike?

rOcKeTdOg

hey Mattoutandabout I wouldn’t go recommending this

with those forks on, they are way too long & too much travel, I should know, as it’s mine! soon changed those forks

BadlyWiredDog

If you *had* to have a 29er, as a do it all bike, what would you go with?

In what sort of twisted, unsustainable, gutless world would you *have* to have a 29er as a do it all bike? I would rather take up ballet. Or go to yoga classes. Or get a degree in crochet. HTH.

singlespeedstu

It is kind of like a butch lesbian but without the stubble and hairy legs.

Euro
    Free Member

with a leather thong

martinh
    Free Member

Steel, as playful and rideable as a Yelli but not twice as heavy.

No, it’s not mine.

singlespeedstu

No thong.

More of a pointy bra with studs kind of thing.

Edit.

Ohh look at you with your Sram 11 speed. 😉

How you finding it?

No2 edit.

Just read the it’s not mine bit at the bottom.

Come on Martin you’re dissapointing me now.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Ohh look at you with you Sram 11 speed

That’d never work with me….I can only count to 10

martinh
    Free Member

I can’t afford an 11 speed cassette.

I’ll post pics as soon as I have mine

singlespeedstu

I can’t afford an 11 speed cassette.

I bet you can. 😉

martinh
    Free Member

£200 plus an outrageously expensive free hub replacement for one measley gear. Hopefully there will be cheaper versions someday soon

Gotama
    Free Member

Whilst I’m currently having a dither over a change to a Quarterhorse or maybe a Surface, the Yelli Screamy is pretty hard to fault….

Rorschach
    Free Member

I keep thinking of getting an XCAD titanium version of my yelli made.Optimised for 140mm fork (lower bb slightly and steepen the seat angle a smidge),room to fit a 34/36t chainring (xx1 😀 ),chainstay mounted brake and reverb stealth routing.
    But the short chainstays are very tricky to achieve and I can’t afford to do it twice (or just buy a vertigo).

Stoner
    Free Member

Ti 29er.

Run with or without suspension
    SS or Rohloff
    I can swap ss for the rohloff hub in less than 15 minutes. And maybe 20-30mins for the forks. But only if I really need to have a geared HT – say for a trip to the Pyrenees etc.
    The A-C varies between 450mm (Rigid) and 495mm (@80mm) to 535mm (@120mm) and so the bike has very different handling. I prefer it down at 450mm but Ive thrown it down the Pyrenees at 120mm on the 20mm axle rebas and it’s been fine – but probably not as good handling as the current crop of 120mm travel frames out there.

But 99% of the time it’s in SS rigid mode.

geetee1972
    Free Member

This is just lovely.

mrblobby
    Free Member

No do it all bike for me, however as a “first out of the shed” bike I’d like to give one of those Titus Ti Fireline Evo’s a try.

parkesie
    Free Member

I’m getting a shiney 29er to use for everything it falls into the racey side of things but ill use it for popping to the shops and doing wheelies down the park aswell.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Yeti Big Top… single speed option (if that’s what you want, i don’t!), light, fast, ace 8) my go to bike for 90% of my riding….

Untitled by Rob_G_Clarkson, on Flickr

mattjg
    Free Member

right so we’re doing pikchers:

my take:
    * if you’re seriously racing with a shot at podium, get a proper race bike. I have no idea what.
    * if you’re into chewing up miles, maybe a Swift, or a steel Niner
    * for everything else, those 2-3 hour rides with your mates when the last 2% in pace isn’t relevant, get something along the lines of a Yelli, Buzzard etc. The key numbers are 120mm fork, 68 degree head angle, 425mm chainstay.

The ‘trailsy’ HTs such as Solaris, FF29, (Fireline) come out as a bit of a compromise in my mind, the Yelli (et al) has the balls to be what it wants not what it thinks the market demands. It’s still a perfectly good XC bike, I’d happily race it too as I’m not a podium contender, I enjoy riding it and I’m as quick on it as any other bike.

Burchy1
    Free Member

SSStu – When are you going to bring that QH down to Devon then (or your Yelli for that matter). I’m beginning to get a bit 29er curious now there are some proper ones.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘Do it all 29er hardtail…. if you had to…’ is closed to new replies.