Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Do iPhone 3gs's fail in year 2??
  • petrieboy

Had this one a year now, another year to go on the contract. No problems thus far. Just got the email from apple offering apple care for 60 which seems like a lot for an extended warranty but I suppose it’s good value if these things are known to fail before 24 months. Alternatively, has anyone had any success with having a faulty apple fixed under sale of goods act??

clubber
    Free Member

Mine failed in year 1. My Dad had two fail in year 1.

Mine had been a bit crap from the start for reception but after 10 months got really bad and that was when I had it replaced. No problem with that but they do say that the warranty only lasts for the remainder of the 12 months (eg 2 months in my case). I didn’t dispute it then since obviously it works fine (and still does now – around 7 month later) but if it did go wrong, I’d definitely challenge them as it’s not unreasonably to expect a product to work for at least 12 months irrespective of when the original product was bought/replaced.

pixelmix
    Free Member

I’ve got a 3G (not 3GS) which is now over 2 years old. No issues with it, although I did smash the screen (£60 to replace) and I had to superglue the vibrate button back on the other day. Still works though!

It’s not as fast as the 4G I had for work, but I’ll hold onto it a bit longer until I have the money to burn on a 4G.

AppleCare wouldn’t cover things like dropping it in the sink, smashing the screen etc, but one “fault” repair and it has paid for itself. I haven’t bothered with AppleCare though. I’m trying to spend as little money as possible on it, and if it falls apart sufficiently, I’ve saved some money towards the replacement.

DrJ

My 3G refuses to die, and hence give me an excuse to buy a 4. Damned annoying …

thehustler
    Free Member

Clubber no point challenging that retail law is from original date of purchase, not date of replacement, the only possible way around this is to prove that it was a fault at the time of manufacture, which then has a 6 year comeback

clubber
    Free Member

I thought it was now 2 years in EU?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Do iPhone 3gs's fail in year 2??’ is closed to new replies.