Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Do internal cables naturally feel 'stickier' than external cables?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

Just fitted the rear brake cable on my carbon road frame and it just seems as though its a bit stickier than the external cable on my alloy frame. I bought it as frame only, so I’m guessing at outer cable lengths but have managed in the past on other builds to get this ok.

Brake works fine, its just the cable doesn’t seem as free.

I have to say I haven’t used any outer cable ferrules (yet) – do they make a difference, I’ve only really bothered with them because they came with the cable set. This time I couldn’t be bothered.

We’re talking small differences here, but nice smooth brakes on one bike, and I cannot replicate it on the other 🙁

coatesy
    Free Member

Shouldn’t be a problem if the cable routing is designed well, but unfortunately, most manufacturers are more interested in how it looks than how it works. Would I be correct to guess it’s not a full length outer, and goes into and out of the same side of the frame tube so it creates two corners for the inner to negotiate? If not, check your outer cables aren’t snagging the inners where you’ve cut them, the spiral metal sheath can sometimes form a tang that catches the inner.

sq225917
    Free Member

if it’s sticky you have the entry or exit cables wrong.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mtbtomo
    Free Member

Sticky might be too harsh a word. It drags, always returns but feels as though it drags.

It goes into the headtube, along the top tube and then out the same side just before the seat tube. Its not a full length outer, stops at the entry and then a separate piece at the exit to the caliper.

Its a KTM Revelator if it makes any difference.

eshershore
    Free Member

would recommend using any cable stop fittings supplied by the frame manufacturer:- these are often short plastic pipes with a stop / flange, filled with grease – to ease the transition of the cable from outer housing to entry / exit points in the frame

also use a teflon-coated inner cable from Shimano or similar quality manufacturer

TiRed

Nope, both of my internal routed frames have slick cables. The Propel has some odd cable entry angles too (perpendicular to the top tube for gear cables). As above, look at the cable stops.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Cables are Shimano, cable stops are as part of frame.

I’ll have another look – was half hoping I might just have to put up with it and therefore it would be pointless tinkering 😉

BearBack
    Free Member

if your cable stops are part of the frame, you’re unlikely to have a sealed end cap.

Cables on my Genius are 4mm outer with sealed end caps (shimano) and at BB area.. anywhere ingressed water/dirt could grab the cable (e.g. BB cable exit) I use the longer end cap with rubber boot.
    Drag should be reduced over full length outers.

Are you sure you’re not crossing cables inside the frame?

coatesy
    Free Member

If it was mine, i’d either be zip-tieing a full length outer to the frame, or drilling out the stops and running it all the way through if I was bothered about how it looked.Had to do this to quite a few frames with poorly routed internal gear cables.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

The frame came with plastic tubes through the cable routes.

Rear brake goes in at the head tube and out the top tube. The gears go in the down tube and out near the bb before disappearing again. No chance of them crossing over.

Drilling out the cable stops? On a carbon frame? Is that not asking for trouble?

boxxer7
    Free Member

What frame is it?

I’ve just given up trying to get my Planet X to shift well. I’ve ended up with a full legnth outter cable though the frame with Dura Ace slippery cables.

Dave.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Dave – its a KTM Revelator.

I’ve given up to it – well accepted that its now 99% the same sort of feel as the other bike. That’s after I’ve filed the outer cables, no rough edges and fitted from ferrules. Plus made sure the lengths are ok.

I’m going to put some sealed cables or similar on next time I re-cable but cables came with the shifters, so I’ve used those and its ok for now.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What coatesy said – some routing just isn’t very good.

Yet another shite “improvement”.

boxxer7
    Free Member

Try the dura ace inner cable with sp41 outer. The DA cable is about £16 but well worth it, mine shifts properly since changing it over.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Well, I’ve ridden it and didn’t even notice it. Seems to have loosened up a little with use. Will try fancier cables when they need replacing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Do internal cables naturally feel 'stickier' than external cables?’ is closed to new replies.