Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Do i want an apple TV?
  • sandwicheater

Not savie when it comes to tech. BIL has one and it seems to do all the things i want.

Want something I can cast stuff on my laptop to the TV and hifi.

I’m not an apple fan boy so if something else is available that is as good, fine by me.

Drac

I have onr it’s Ok but never really gets used now thanks to an Android box.

sandwicheater

An android box you say. Like the chrome cast amajig?

Mackem

I don’t use mine, you can have it if you like.

Drac

An android box you say. Like the chrome cast amajig?

Not sure never used one.

Mark

The new Apple TV is a big step up from the old, not least because it has BBC iPlayer available on it.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m going to wander into an Apple shop and see if I can demo one – Sky’s gone through the roof and it seems to me that I can get everything Sky provides to me, for £6 a month, plus £20 for fibre and line rental instead of £80 to sky for Sky+HD.

GrahamS

I have one.

It’s useful for painlessly casting stuff from apps on iDevices – not sure how/if it works with non-iDevices though.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Google Chromecast does what you want for much less money (TV only but they do another version for music). About £30 each

GrahamS

The new Apple TV is a big step up from the old, not least because it has BBC iPlayer available on it.

I have the old one and just cast iPlayer from my iPhone or iPad. No need for an app on the box itself.

sandwicheater

I’m not overly fussed about the players as have a set top box type affair that does all that. It’s really just the music n photos n ting.

Mackem, very generous offer. I’ll PM you if you don’t mind so we can come to a price.

Sundayjumper

I have one, it only ever gets used for Netflix. Which TBF is a couple of hours a week, so it is useful for me.

Never tried Chromecast etc.

GavinB

I’ve got one recently, more because I was wanting to be able to share movies, photos etc on the TV, including watching films bought on iTunes, which previously were only being watched on an iPad (by our kids). It’s OK.

There are limited apps so far for the new one, but that will probably improve. Having already got a (basic) smart telly, with Netflix/iPlayer its not really being used for that, but being able to listen to music, have a check through family photos etc, its really nice. If you are using a non iOS device you can get AirParrot for Windows devices to cast to an ATV.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

*with the disclaimer we live in Asia*

we have an Apple TV (not the newest) and an Android Box. The Android box is better specifically because it has something like iPlayer but for ITV, Channel 4 and numerous others. Besides that, it can happily play formats the Apple TV can’t.

One thing that effed me off tremendously (even though it was work-supplied) is that MBP, when streaming to an Apple TV, stutter and stall and make it unwatchable. Considering an MBP costs a shiteload of money, it’s a disgrace!

We have dumb TVs and they, couple with an Android box, are amazing.

I guess they would work back home too.

https://www.thaiexpat.tv/

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’ve got one and I don’t really know why

P-Jay
    Free Member

I want one because I want NowTV, Netflix, iplayer, ITV Player etc on one, simple to use system my Wife will use, I don’t know why, she’s very bright, but whilst she’ll use Sky+ the idea of firing up the PC under the TV to her seems like too much work and I want to sack of sky.

oldnpastit

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve got one after a recommendation from on here. I’m an Apple Fanbouy BTW so obvs I was going to get one at some point. 🙄

I like it, it stays plugged into the TV and I stream YouTube GCN Vids off it and such, movies off my MacAir and that kinda thing.
    It hasn’t replaced my Sky Subs yet, but then I should really look into closing that off as it’s just becoming expensive nonsense.

I should use it more than I do, but hey.

prawny

For streaming stuff From your phone a chromecast does the job, no full screen mirroring but it does iplaye bt sport and the like.

I’m getting shot of my iPad and getting an android tablet to have the best of both worlds.

jeff

Latest one has the quickest iPlayer app – loads faster to load + use than my YouView / TV / xbox

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP. Do you have a Mac, iiPhone or iPad ? If so definitely get an ATV, imo the original model is fine and much cheaper. If not get a Chromecast.

I have a number of older model ATV’s they are very useful, I watch very little “normal tv” its mostly streamed stuff inc news, sports, lots of biking and skiing etc. Note with an iPhone/iPad you can easily watch iPlayer sending the content from ohine to ATV. We often take the ATV on holiday so we can watch movies or downloaded iPlayer held on the phone/pad – you just need a tv and wifi.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

ATV’s are only really of specific use to stream or mirror from an apple product. Other than that they are a ‘bog standard’ internet TV box. Not sure about the latest that seems to integrate apps and games, but as for telly watching, unless you’re using Apple Devices with it then it’s not offering you anything over and above other similar devices or even a Smart TV or BR player.

Having said that, I have a smart TV, smart BR player and an ATV and the ATV seems to produce a better quality picture and is far more stable with less, i.e. no, buffering than my smart TV and BR player. Maybe that’s more to do with the relative internal processing power than the incoming interntet signal.

sandwicheater

Well fitted and its ace. A fair old TV with nothing smart about it so some additional tech was needed.

Both the wife and I have old type iphones that stream to it faultlessly.

We have windows based laptop but, parrot 2 means we can stream from the laptop to the apple tv perfectly, its ace!

A huge thanks to mackem from this shire who kindly gave me his gratis, what a thoroughly nice chap!

zippykona

Before I installed the app on the ipad it was a real faff scrolling through the letters on the screen to order a film .
    So I ordered the film on my mac book through iTunes.
    Your iTunes account on your Mac and TV aren’t linked. Had to watch the film on the mac iT wouldn’t even let us beam the film from the mac book to the telly.
    I swore A LOT.

jambalaya
    Free Member

^ when I buy a film on mac or phone it appears on the atv purchased list. Not sure about rentals. Note I rent and cast films from phone/ioad as Curzon Home Cinema don’t have an atv app

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

It should be the same account, if they are all logged in together you can share purchases between devices

zippykona

I tried and tried and tried. Google it as well and other people had the same problem, so I gave up.

GrahamS

Never tried that zk, but sounds very odd.

Could the Apple TV see and play other content on your iTunes server?

shorn
    Free Member

I have a couple of the older models the they’re excellent. You have Netflix, nowtv, YouTube and iTunes. If you have iTunes already you can stream all your music from the cloud. Connect the atv to your amp and you’ve got all your music available at the touch of an app. SD Film rentals are 3.49 on iTunes and your not committed to a subscription. If we go,on hols to a cottage with wifi I take the atv with us so we have all our music and films and we can AirPlay iplayer as well.

ampthill

We use one to rent movies. I’m happy with it for that.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP if you haven’t already got a youtube / vimeo login suggest you do. Works well to click watch later from phone and then go direct to them on the atv.

Also you really should “test” it for Sunday’s Lourdes DH on Red Bull TV 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Do i want an apple TV?’ is closed to new replies.