• This topic has 23 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Do i realy need a 29 er bike
  • project
    Free Member

any benefits, etc.

parkesie
    Free Member

Do you need a new bike? If you do try one if not try one anyway. You decide.

ricky1
    Free Member

2for one on biscuits

any benefits

They are faster than walking, cheaper to run than a car and more practical than a canoe or hang glider.

ricky1
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking of asking my mate if I can borrow his for a few days to get used to it and see what all the fuss is about,might even end up liking it,to me more wheels is more bike to lug around but others that actually own a 29 er will argue their corner,but maybe that’s because they have gone out and done the 0% finance thing and have to justify keeping it for the life of the payments,I’m sure they are very happy though….somewhat.

Northwind

Bikes are good, you should definitely have a bike.

TBH the only bikes that have wowed me lately are 29ers, the big Five and the big Remedy. Though I’m not entirely sure it’s because of the wheels, they’re just kick ass bikes.

rOcKeTdOg

No one needs a 29er

Everyone needs a 29er.

bedmaker

You should bypass the 29er and go straight to a fatbike.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

No point in getting a new bike solely to go 29″. There are some noticeable benefits and some potential drawbacks, it depends on what riding you do. For me the benefits outweigh the drawbacks (i’ve not really noticed any drawbacks to be fair), but I got a 29er when I came back into MTBing after a lay off and needed a complete new bike so it was a convenient time to go for the bigger wheel size. Not sure i’d swap bikes just for the wheel change if I had a decent 26″ bike.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Much like proper size bikes some 29ers are good some bad.
    I do like my salsa el mar but did not like the salsa spearfish I had

For me 29 are good for munching lots of miles but IMO a bit dull in the fast twisty single track

forzafkawi
    Free Member

If you get a 29er then you’ll “need” a 650b after that.

plus-one

Yes

ricky1
    Free Member

Orangeboy ^ is right and I haven’t even ridden a 29 er yet.

eshershore
    Free Member

@project

you won’t know unless you take the plunge and buy one 😉

borrowing a mate’s bike won’t tell you much except you don’t like his setup, and that alone could put you off the big wheels for ever

if you find after months of riding the big wheel you don’t like the bike, good quality bikes are never hard to sell on

I sold my Devinci Dixon and bought a Stumpjumper hardtail 29’er “blind” (without test riding) and have never regretted it

it certainly makes my trail riding around the S-East much more interesting than the Dixon which was so capable it just squished everything flat

takisawa2

Buy a huge bronze phallus for the garden instead.

tomawest
    Free Member

I love my x-cal 9 and whilst it is a little difficult to manage round the fast twisty trails (its more likely down to my riding ability to be honest), it more than makes up for itself on obsticles such as rock gardens. Pros and Cons of 29ers are very well documented, its up to you to decide whether one would suit you.

Duffer
    Free Member

They are faster than walking, cheaper to run than a car and more practical than a canoe or hang glider.

That’s the best comment I’ve seen for ages!

Northwind

orangeboy – Member

For me 29 are good for munching lots of miles but IMO a bit dull in the fast twisty single track

Try a better one.

sync
    Free Member

I have been trying some of the longer travel slacker head angled FS & HT 29ers recently and this year they seem a lot more accomplished. The only 29ers I struggle with still, are the cheaper short travel 80-100mm with very steep head angles that tuck the front wheel too far under the front of the bike for my liking. Like 26ers imo it will take a few more years to get enough 29ers totally dialled to suit all tastes. I have tried a couple of 650b recently that were abismal and they most certainly did not bring the trail alive.

I remember plenty of 26ers in the 90s and early 00s that cost a fortune but were dead on the trails.

One thing is for sure, 650b and 29ers are the only option in all my local dealers to demo unless it is really low end or new old stock high end 26ers at 40-60% off.

I am fortunate to be in the position where I sold my 26er before the market nose dived, then took a year off riding a decent bike so coming to it now afresh.

On the better 29ers I am yet to find a down side; instead I have found the limits of the excessively, albeit fashionably, wide bars first on tight, narrow and twisty trails.

It is still all very subjective, but I like a long travel hard tail, and until this year I haven’t found a 29er I like. The Trek Stache or Rockhopper Pro Evo both having 120mm travel are IMO, bang on for me.

endurogangster
    Free Member

Buy a huge bronze phallus for the garden instead.

+1

bol

They suit me. I’m tall and not particularly talented. I’ve always tended to go for the 29ers that felt most like 26ers, as they’ve been the most fun, whilst still being faster and more forgiving. But do you need one? No.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

I would say yes but and it’s a BIG but where do you ride and what style of riding if it’s mainly trail/Xc then it’s a BIG yes if it’s swinging towards freeride/enduro then it’s a BIG fat maybe!! For me when I was in the market for a new bike I wasn’t looking at 29ers but wasn’t not looking either then I test rode a Trek fuel ex 29er on my local trails ended up the bike for me and 9months on still chuffed with what I got 😀

DrP

Try a better one.

Or be a better rider….!

DrP

(tongue a bit in cheek there!)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Do i realy need a 29 er bike’ is closed to new replies.