Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Do I really want a 29er steel Hardtail in SS format?
  • slowboydickie

The Inbred is looking good for the money. All you owners out there do you really love it? I am guessing you can covert the SS limited edition to geared in the future if I turn out to be too puny to hack it?

Cheers
    Rich

JRTG
    Free Member

Yep, but treat yourself and get a better frame! El mariachi, swift etc, you won’t regret it and they come SS or geared ready.

cardo

From personal experience… yes , great in the mud and roll really well.

Bregante

Why wouldn’t you? 🙂

Autumn2012 017 by redmancunian69, on Flickr

slowboydickie

That Surly is looking good.

niloC
    Free Member

the Surly rides damn good too, love mine, the fs had stayed in the shed since i got it 2 months ago!

jonnycritchley
    Free Member

I don’t know but they had a Surly Moonlander at the LBS today and my mate had a little rip on it. He’s now ‘getting one’. It looks insane and just rolls over kerbs like they aren’t there… Certainly an attention grabber!

johnnystorm

SS limited edition inbred hasn’t got a derailleur hangar afaik. You’ll need the seductive beige slot dropout to run SS and move onto gears.

mattjg
    Free Member

Swift comes with a fork and EBB so you can run it rigid or bouncy, geared or SS. Good value, can’t fail.

mattjg
    Free Member

And the answer to your question is yes.

mattjg
    Free Member

-dp

jezandu
    Free Member

Why stop at steel is my question? But yes you do want a SS. Don’t ask…….you just do. And if you live near the north east I’m trying to get some folk together.

Jez http://www.followingthechainline.blogspot.com

velomanic
    Free Member

Yes – my Kona Unit’s a whole lot of fun 🙂

singlecrack
    Free Member

What you really need is a nimble 9 ….if you tried one you wouldn’t be indecisive

MrTall
    Free Member

Triton cycles have the Salsa frames on deal at the moment for around £325 i think.

I had an inbred and it was nice but a pretty heavy beast.

birdage

Yes. After cutting through the mud today on my Swift yes.

firestarter
    Free Member

Get one , pardon the work store room pic.

Looks like an ss smells like an ss and is an ss as long as I only use one of the 14 gears 😉

Gotama
    Free Member

Yes, they’re superb. Couple of bikes in the shed and i find myself reaching for the swift all the time at the moment. Plus they’re superb when the weather is grim, no grinding mechs. If you can stretch the budget the swift is a great frame by the way.

Mikey65
    Free Member

OH Yes…..You NEED one.

PB030220 by Mikey_R1, on Flickr

slowboydickie

The low budget is driven by having acquired a Tallboy recently. I love the ride and can’t help but think 29er wheels will work superbly in hardtail or rigid format, plus don’t want to take the mick in terms spending. Budget aside I am liking the look of the Karate Monkey and Solaris.

What is the difference between Inbred and Scandal 29ers, other than frame material and weight. Is it that much lauded magical quality of steel? Or something more mental? And type of steel, is there a type of steel that gives the smoothest ride?

kimbers

id like a 2013 kona unit, but mostly because of the raw finish and retro graphics

id probably stick gears on it though

kimbers

id like a 2013 kona unit, but mostly because of the raw finish and retro graphics

id probably stick gears on it though

Clink

Mikey65 – how’s the ride? Any idea on frame weight?

takisawa2

I had an Inbred before swapping to a Niner SIR9.
    Loved the Inbred. Tried it in various guises, SS with carbon & steel rigids, Rebas with 1×10. Pic below is how I found it the best, Singular Swift steel rigids & SS. I’m 5’9″ & would probably go for the 16″ next time. (One below is 18″). Running a bit more seat post should give bit more flex, & improve the ride. Dont read that as the Inbred is harsh, its not, especially with a 29″ wheel. Frame weighs about 5.5lbs. To put it into prespective, my Niner is just over 4.25lbs, but you can really feel the Niner flexing, & its ride is fantastic. But for £140 you wont go wrong with an Inbred. Full build was about 25lbs. One thing I found, is tyre choice. Unless your really hammering it, I dont think you need such a knobbly tyre on a 29″ wheel. Something to do with contact patch size. Invest in some nice rubber. I like Schwalbe’s Racing Ralph. Running the 2.35 versions at about 27psi (with tubes), its like having some suspension. One tip, if your going SS with a slot drop Inbred, swap your rear axle for a solid nutted one. You can get it much tighter & it does away with having to run a tug.

IMAG0221 by pten2106, on Flickr

john_l
    Free Member

My 18″ Kona Unit’s for sale in the classifieds if anyone’s interested……

slowboydickie

Mike65 – what is the fork you got on that?

Takisawa – good advice, thank you. I was thinking of getting some higher volume tyres.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Not steel but had a gf ferrous before, ss and 29er +/- rigid fork are a great mix

khani
    Free Member

I’m seriously considering going ss this winter on my El Mariachi due to the slop, I have some spare cranks that will do so need a rear kit and a chainring, can you use a 9speed chain ok or will it need a ss chain? What ratio for a 29er, 16-32?
    it’s bloody filth out there at the mo and my XTR and XO drivetrain is being destroyed.. 😥

mattjg
    Free Member

can you use a 9speed chain ok or will it need a ss chain?

depends on the cog/chainring width I believe. But a SS specific chain is cheap and stronger than a 9 speed, which is a win for putting a lot of power through it. No chain-breaks is one of the SS wins.

What ratio for a 29er, 16-32?

No, add 2 teeth. 18-32 on a 29 is just a tad easier than 16-32 on a 26.

it’s bloody filth out there at the mo and my XTR and XO drivetrain is being destroyed..

a-bloody-men. You might even enjoy it!

fontmoss
    Free Member

I’ve run 9 speed chains and not had any probs (touches wood) plus ss chains sound like tractors in my experience

khani
    Free Member

Thank you young mayn… 😀
    Though I must admit I feel a bit dirty..
    What Marigolds for ss… Is a thong acceptable with a hairy arse…?

takisawa2

8 or 9spd chain is fine. It’s all I’ve ever used. A Deore front ring at £10 or so is a good choice, cheap & durable. Don’t forget shorter chainring bolts if currently running a double/triple.
    32-18 is the best starting point, 19 if its hilly, 17 if its very flat even, but most start at 32-18. Superstar do a cheap wide rear cog for about £8.
    I usually swap to gears in summer but this year I haven’t bothered, I prefer SS. It’s not for everyone, but getting home from a winter slopfest & not having to clean & lube everything is good.

takisawa2

And firestarter…

That Salsa is gorgeous.

khani
    Free Member

I’ve got an lx crankset, will the 32t middle be ok or do you need one without shifting ramps?

takisawa2

Ramped ones work ok. Only issue with “geared” rings is that the teeth are shorter, & if the chain is a bit slack it can come off. I’ve never found it a problem though, but its a good excuse to get a stainless Surly ring. 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

Cheers Taki can’t take credit tho other than the seat lol I bought it off lipseal on here , I love it tho 😉

jezandu
    Free Member

I’ve got a scandal 29er I’m building up with Carbon forks. It’ll be my only mtb so I may as well make it nice. Steel is great but just heavier and having one gear is already a disadvantage so why have something heavy. Went for scandal over inbred for that reason, that and I race ss so I want it light and stiff.

By the way the on one scandal is currently reduced to £149, so a bargin. I go it in raw finish and painted it myself.

Jez

khani
    Free Member

Right…rear 18t cog and spacers ordered, got cranks and chain and swingy dropouts (mariachi 2)
    I’ll give it a go… Cheers all! 😀
    PS.. Just converted the cranks to 32t middle with shorter bolts, should I (or do you) bother with a bash?
    I quite like the bare single ring look.. 😳 the theme tune to the crying game is ringing in my ears…

Clink

I’ve got a scandal 29er I’m building up with Carbon forks. It’ll be my only mtb so I may as well make it nice. Steel is great but just heavier and having one gear is already a disadvantage so why have something heavy. Went for scandal over inbred for that reason, that and I race ss so I want it light and stiff.

By the way the on one scandal is currently reduced to £149, so a bargin. I go it in raw finish and painted it myself.
    Did it come with ss dropouts?

jamj1974

Recently took delivery of my fully rigid new Genesis Fortitude SS. Due to illness only had one gentle ride – but feels excellent, nicely lively, agile and almost totally silent! Looking forward to some mud plugging in the next few weeks and I am sure that I won’t regret the purchase.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Do I really want a 29er steel Hardtail in SS format?’ is closed to new replies.