Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • do I really need road shoes/pedals in a road bike?
  • nemesis
    Free Member

chrishc yesterday

FWIW, it’s funny but there are equally ignorant cyclists who only ride on the road who say exactly the same about mtbers (mostly) being so miserable…

This thread kind of proves them (partly) right 😉

chrishc777
    Free Member

So me saying hi to mtbers and to roadies but getting just a dirty look makes them right?
    nemesis I don’t quite catch your point

SamB
    Free Member

Yeah but they’re not the same as ‘normal’ shoes still are they?

Well no, they’re not. But it’s not like trying to wear normal shoes on an ice rink, there’s still *some* grip there.

TBH I think it’s the triathlete advantage – I’ve got to be able to run through transition, so I’ve just got used to running with cleats 😀 *ducks*

boblo
    Free Member

Aah the Triathlete Advantage, a close relative of the Edinburgh Defence perchance?

singletrackmind

First ride tonight on SPD -SL Ultegra pedals and carbon soled DHB road shoes. Used to use Candys and Spec BG mtb shoes, for the last 2000 miles or so anyways.

Awful technique to get in compared to Crank Bros pedals, but once in very secure amd direct. Instant , noticable power transfer increase . Not huge but deffo there , most noticable standing up rather than sitting down.

Getting out of the pedals ( set in minimum spring tension ) as easy as twisting out of CB ‘s . I can see some ‘moments’ happening though if trying to unclip in a hurry under load.

Only did an hour to test out the cleat position as I ride toe out, and pretty much got right from the off. I bought the yellow 6′ float cleats , which on initial impressions look like they will last a few weeks before needing replacement.

beaker

See rule 34.

cookeaa

roadies seem so ‘clicky’

That’ll be the shoes… You need those though to join their clique.

….but what about the urinal/face interface on the standard tiled toilet floor?

Probably best to use the sink, or ask for a spare empty paper cup (Costa get a bit funny if you piss in their mugs)…

I have been eyeing up some DHB R1.0 shoes of late, my old xc type shoes are looking a bit tired, and they seem to be mostly used on the road bikes, so I want something with a stiffer sole, cheap but I’d also like to keep using my m520s and they are drilled for both apparently. Anyone using them like that?

edhornby

if you really need to you can get MTB cleats onto some road shoes but you’ll be walking around on a small metal lump as opposed to a wide plastic lump

Mountain bike SPDs and shoes are good if you need to walk etc so touring yes but road shoes and road cleats for road bikes are a better solution, there’s something ace about a full-on pair of disco slippers 😀

steve_b77
    Free Member

Getting out of the pedals ( set in minimum spring tension ) as easy as twisting out of CB ‘s . I can see some ‘moments’ happening though if trying to unclip in a hurry under load.

why on earth would you be doing this?

Road pedals are way more comfortable than spd’s IMHO and my mates opinions too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve only ever used the proper road ones on a track day. Apart from that it’s candies (lower failure rate than the recent XTR’s I believe) I walk round lots and don’t take the roadie seriously, I can use all my shoes on all my bikes (the teval pivots and minnars are much better for pub visits) and I don’t grind the plastic cleats walking in them. I used to live at the end of a rough gravel road when I got the roadie and had no intention of wandering round in fancy cleats on that.

When I get a new bike I’ll probably treat myself to some new shoes/pedals for it and keep them clean.

atlaz
    Free Member

So me saying hi to mtbers and to roadies but getting just a dirty look makes them right?
    nemesis I don’t quite catch your point

I think his point is there’s lots of miserable arses in the world and generalising that all people on MTBs are awesome fun-loving people and all people on road bikes are grumpy buggers who’ll poke your eyes out with the slightest provocation is basically stupid.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

switched from Look/Rapha to XTR Race/Shimano AM45 when my Rapha’s broke, cannot notice the difference

chrishc777
    Free Member

Fair enough, not really what I was trying to say though.

stumpy01

edhornby – Member
    if you really need to you can get MTB cleats onto some road shoes but you’ll be walking around on a small metal lump as opposed to a wide plastic lump

Shimano do a cleat adaptor for just this purpose….

Linky Linky

Bit pricey for a bit of plastic.
    My road shoes (Shimano somethings) will take both cleat types.

Initially I used MTB pedals and shoes. Then I got some road shoes and fitted spd cleats for a couple of rides, realised that the cleat was a bit of an issue on road shoes and found the above item.
    But, given that you can get pedals for £20, £15 on a piece of plastic seemed a bit of a rip-off so I went for the pedal option instead. Tempted to do back to the spd option and get those adaptors though to be honest, just for the ease of clipping in.

Toasty

I’m using Shimano touring pedals, same interface as the mountain bike ones but lower weight than XTR.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-a600-spd-touring-pedals

Single sided but you get used to it quickly.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘do I really need road shoes/pedals in a road bike?’ is closed to new replies.