Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Do I REALLY need a rad cage?
  • Scapegoat

I want to make my Mojo 1×10. I will be using an XT M770 triple crankset with a SS IO 32T. Rear will be an XT11-36 with a Oneup 42T. I have an XT M786 GS shadow plus rear mech. So the question is, will the Rad cage make it easier to setup/run, less prone to crap shifting, or is it $35 I don’t need to spend? Before anyone starts on the MTFU BS I am 51 years old with knackered hips and a bit porkier than I should be, so 32/42 is about right living in Kirklees/Calderdale

sillyoldman

It makes a worthwhile difference.

Scapegoat

Thanks

Any nay-sayers before I pull the trigger?

mega
    Free Member

I just converted a deore triple plus XT cassette to 1×10 with oneup components 42T. I had an SLX long cage rear mech and shifting is a OK. B tension screw on rear mech is backed out most of the way.

try it without first!

maxtorque

In my experience, do you NEED a rad cage. No, at least not when the system is all nice and new/unworn, and assuming you have some patience to set the system up in the first place.

However, getting the RAD cage makes the system easier to set up, more resistant to wear / dirt and nicer feeling (shifting is more linear across the cassette.

I ran without the Rad cage for around 6 months, and as the components wore, the shifting got noticably worse, and i would get the occasional mis-shift under really dirty conditions. I then fitted the Rad cage (without replacing anything else) and the shifts got noticably crisper and it was easier (less force on shifter lever) to select the larger cogs at the back.

So, in summary, of you can’t afford to get the Rad cage, don’t fret, you can manage without it. if you’ve got the money, however, it’s a worthwhile small additional cost to return your wide range system back to pretty much OEM 10spd shift quality and robustness!

Scapegoat

Thanks Maxtorque. In the grand scheme of things the money isn’t the decider, but your longevity answer means I won’t necessarily regret the extra outlay. Thanks. Decision made.

Scapegoat

Ooh, found a 42T One Up cog for £42.50, incl 16t sprocket, and postage for the Rad cage from Oneup only a couple of dollars, so all in for £65 or so…. result!

miranmtb
    Free Member

Went from zee + 40t to the new RADr cage + 42t. The result is much better shifting in lower cogs.

pete68
    Free Member

RAD cage improved the shifting on my set up no end. Could never get it quite right before but now it’s spot on.

ti456neal
    Free Member

I have just bought the rad-r cage as an upgrade for my original rad cage.
    I was really suffering with dodgy shifting before the rad cages came along.
    Worth every penny I reckon. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Do I REALLY need a rad cage?’ is closed to new replies.