Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Do I over do what I carry on a xc cycle
  • Xan
    Free Member

Was at Glentress this weekend and got a few laughs and comments about all the gear I carry (one of these times when I was saving the guys mates ass I must add lol), and it’s not the 1st time. So do I carry too much or are there others out there like me. I always carry
    Water in camelbak
    For longer rides (25 miles+) water bottle with elecrolyte in it.
    Bike multi tool
    Plyers
    Shock pump
    Normal pump
    cable ties
    First aid kit
    2 x sets tyres lever (cause I always seem to brake them)
    Spare chain links
    Chain tool
    leeches
    Spare scewer for wheel
    And usual base layer/waterproof depending on weather
    Snacks/fruit

All is carried between saddle bag and camelbak. Am I just totally paranoid??? And I have room in my bag for more as well lol.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Only thing i say why to is the shock pump

Xan
    Free Member

Actually came in handy this week when a guys derailer snapped. Turned it single speed and cause rear shock had blow off pumped it right up to stop too much movement. All stemmed from when a mates fox RP2 started to sag too much during a ride and never had a pump. Never leave home without it now.lol OMG I am paranoid!!!!

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

if at gt, would be a tube, pump, multitool.bottle,

big days out a camelback instead of bottle, and maybe an energy bar/some food. and a 2nd tube or something.

james
    Free Member

leeches?

longweight
    Free Member

Spare skewer? Surely that is a bit extreme?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

RP2 – put on propedal – no bobbing

uplink
    Free Member

Spare skewer?

Barnes has a much bigger inventory list – he’ll be along in a minute

bassspine
    Free Member

Don’t forget your casette lockring tool, spare mech hanger, spoke key and spare set of brake pads. I also usually have a chainring bolt tool. And for some reason my chainchecker has crept into the mobile toolkit too.
    ?no puncture repair kit or tubes?
    I don’t bother with the spare skewer or extra tyre levers

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Wot oli said plus picnic on a day out

Xan
    Free Member

james – Member
    leeches?

I thought that was an obvious one???

longweight – Member
    Spare skewer? Surely that is a bit extreme?

Yip your right. Always been in there and have no idea why 😆

racing_ralph
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Wot oli said plus picnic on a day out

you take half a spare bike TJ – lol

prettygreenparrot

tire levers? – you can usually get a tire off with gloved hands. And some multi tools have them on.
    shock pump – check before the ride and leave it behind.
    pliers?
    chain links? Just chop out a bit of chain and use fewer gears if it breaks.
    leeches? Are these part of the first aid kit? Only kidding. I prefer to take spare tubes.
    Spare skewer?
    First aid kit makes sense, but other than paracetamol for pain relief you can improvise bandages & the like with clothing & zip ties or a knife.

Other than that I carry the other things and:
    reflective emergency blanket
    whistle
    compass
    map
    GPS
    strobe

Xan
    Free Member

Don’t forget your casette lockring tool, spare mech hanger, spoke key and spare set of brake pads. I also usually have a chainring bolt tool. And for some reason my chainchecker has crept into the mobile toolkit too.
    ?no puncture repair kit or tubes?
    I don’t bother with the spare skewer or extra tyre levers

Yeah sorry have spare tube and leeches (those instant puncture repair patches from Halfrauds. They are really good actually.As for the rest you now have me thinking. Been meaning to get new pads to carry as spares.

Racing Ralph, sorry I meant Fox flot (standard one on a Prophet 1)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

on a pprophet one its and rp3

longweight
    Free Member

I am clearly running on a light kit, camelback, pump and spare tube (or £2 coin if its under 15 miles with no pack)

Xan
    Free Member

racing_ralph – Member
    on a pprophet one its and rp3

could have swore he didn’t have propedal, but maybe does. I’ll take note of that incase happens again cheers.

antigee

the more i read stuff on here the more i get convinced that no one can actually read A MAP ?

Xan
    Free Member

I can read a map but GPS is easier!! lol

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Why do you need a map if you know your arse from your elbow? GT – no need for a map, local trails, no need for a map, riding unfamiliar trails – take a local!

antigee

take a local!

– goes away to post “what camelbak for…..”

mattsccm
    Free Member

strewth!
    Same tools what ever the day as it stays in the bag. 1 tube plus gas canister and thingy to fit it.1 allen key tool. 1 chain tool. 1 set pre worn brake pads. Big trip in hills might have a pump and puncture repair kit in the group. tyre lever? Only needed one once in years and the QR off the wheel did the job. 1st aid? no. Most wounds can stay open, you won’t catch anything in a day. big injuries eg fractures can’t be fixed with 1st aid kits. Might carry glasses as I wear contacts and they can get full of shite

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Do I over do what I carry on a xc cycle’ is closed to new replies.