Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Do i need will?
  • LMT
    Free Member

Going through the mortgage process the will documents dropped through the door yesterday and I’m sat here thinking do I need it.

I have no assets, the house maybe if it goes through but ive signed that as joint tenant with my OH so it automatically moves to her, we aren’t married and no plans to. Life Insurance that pays out to whoever survives the other as that’s in both our names, my work pension and lump sum on death that goes to the OH automatically. I have nothing else and she has even less.

We have no kids and no plans to ethier, do we need a will? that’s the big question. My opinion is we don’t need a will at the moment.

Chew
    Free Member

the house maybe if it goes through but ive signed that as joint tenant with my OH so it automatically moves to her, we aren’t married and no plans to

Are you sure?

Thought that only covered you during life. After death your estate passes to your next of kin?

For £100 you can get it sorted, and this is peanuts compared to all the other costs of buying a house.

LMT
    Free Member

Yep it states on the mortgage that as joint tenant we have a 50/50 share of the house and if one survives the other it automatically moves to the other partner, its stated in the solicitors documents.

gobuchul
    Free Member

You can do it on-line super cheap.

Ten minute will

A friend of mine went to see a lawyer about sorting out wills and stuff, he had a few assets and a couple of kids so a lot more complex than your situation.

The advice he received was to get married.

poly
    Free Member

I would say it is a good idea, especially if you are not married. Whilst you might not have anything now assets will change over time – and since rarely are people planning to die, it won’t be something you review regularly.

The situation when you alone die is often relatively straight forward as you describe, although never underestimate the ability of other people to argue the toss! The absence of a will is an invitation for some relative of yours to be a d*ck, and say “well obviously if he wanted her to get everything he’d have written a will – so his MTBs are mine” However, it is obviously possible that both you and your partner die at the same time. Would it be obvious who should inherit what in that situation?

my work pension and lump sum on death that goes to the OH automatically. I have nothing else and she has even less.

Technically, you’ll probably find it doesn’t absolutely have to get paid to her. You “nominate” her. The trustees can actually pay it to anyone they wish. 99.99% of the time that will be to your nominated person.

Given the simplicity of your affairs the wills should probably cost less that £100.

donald
    Free Member

I would say yes. If you were to meet the white van with your name on it the last thing your partner needs is to faff about with lawyers.

For what it costs it is best to make sure everything is organised now.

LMT
    Free Member

I signed a nomination about 5 years ago at work, my bikes she will probably sell for the £100 I told her they cost lol!

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

If you die in the same car accident what happens then? As she is younger and you both die at the scene, she would get it then it passes on to her next of kin. But if you outlive her and cark it on the way to the hospital, her half passes to you, and from you it passes to who? The state? Your next of kin?

Would it be better off going to her nephew say, than your parents? Theoretical I know but the will puts these things on paper. If you are happy your assets going to people you might not like as they are her next of kin, or indeed she is happy with her assets ending up with yours, or both of you are happy the state gets it all. Then no there is no need to a will.

On the other hand Death Scenario mapping is fun, so don’t shy away from it. Bring a 10 year old boy if you want to map out all bizarre scenarios, I can rent you one. But it’s good to know that in the even of a minibus based death with all the family, some dying, some on long term life support, some transferred to robots, others in suspended animation. It’s all mapped out, so not to worry. You might not need to go to the same level…

deadkenny
    Free Member

For a mortgage, no. None of their business.

For yourself, yes.

This going by what I keep getting nagged to do and still haven’t done. Example being relative who died with no will. State automatically gave it all to his wife. She died shortly after (no will). State gives it to her next of kin which was some distant cousin. Family on his side gets nothing.

Basically if you have no will then it’s left to the state to decide on basic rules which are likely to not be quite what you expected.

More than that, if you die with no one to leave it to, it goes to the government. Do you really want that to happen? ! At least leave it to a charity, or local trail builders, bike park even.

LMT
    Free Member

There are some family I wouldn’t want it to go to, guess I should fill the form in. I do joke with the OH that Cannock chase would get the funds and the local dogs trust, she thinks I’m joking!!

thecaptain
    Free Member

Yes, do a will, it’s very easy, probably won’t matter for many years but not having one can potentially result in some hassle and problems for your nearest and dearest at a time that they can really do without it!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Do i need will?’ is closed to new replies.