Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Do I need to use carbon grease with this seat post?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Thompson seat post in a Ti frame, should I use a bit of carbon grease or leave it bare?

zangolin
    Free Member

Fibre Grip or similar – yes.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Ordinary grease will be fine. Its there primarily as a barrier to prevent corrosion. No need for carbon grease in this application, unless you’re having slipping issues with normal grease.
    Carbon grease is used on carbon frames or seatposts as petroleum based greases can cause the carbon to swell.

kimbers

should I be using it on my carbon post/ steel frame?

i just used a bit of finish line teflon stuff

timbur
    Free Member

Carbon posts need carbon grease IMHO.
    Not worth risking the post getting contaminated and swelling as it’s a buggers only job to remove.
    Tacx do little 4oz tubes of it I believe.
    Tim

sharkbait
    Free Member

Nice one, cheers. I’ve some carbon grease that came with a carbon post – I may was well use a bit of that.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Kimbers, yes you should. Degrease the post and the frame first to be safe.

kimbers

i tend to raise lower the post with a QR is this gonna be ok with the paste?

cheers

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Paste serves 2 functions, its composition doesn’t cause the post to swell and it contains small granular particles that increase grip, reducing the tension needed in the clamp.

I got a tube of Tacx for a few quid which should last years, and is cheap insurance for 3 carbon posts and a carbon frame.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Do I need to use carbon grease with this seat post?’ is closed to new replies.