Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Do I need to put the internet browser I use on my CV?
  • CountZero

I guess it depends on how evolved the company’s IT Stasi are; anything other than IE is verboten in our place, in fact anything that needs to be installed, like Flash, has to be done by IT.
    They even screw around with the Macs in the studio, breaking installed stuff in the process, so, as many large businesses are tightly controlled by their IT departments, at least as far as their machines are concerned, I’d say it’s a moot point.
    Businesses that allow BYO machines, and are more enlightened, on the other hand…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

An interesting extrapolation there.

applicants who have bothered to install new web browsers on their computers (such as Mozilla’s Firefox or Google’s Chrome) perform better and stay in their posts for 15% longer, on average, than those who use the default pre-installed browser that came with their machine (ie, Internet Explorer on a Windows PC and Safari on an Apple Mac). This may simply be a coincidence, but Evolv’s analysts reckon that applicants’ willingness to go to the trouble of installing a new browser shows decisiveness, a valuable trait in a potential employee.

I guess some of it has to do with a willingness to change and try new things rather than an approach of sticking with tradition. (Both valuable traits though)

In some ways in a modern world when using IT the ability to sit down and use what is there by being adaptable is a great thing. Getting stumped because the browser in use has different buttons etc. won’t get you that far.

Back to the old should I use Linux/Open Office etc. when my office/school uses MS. Both work but the person who can transition from different options will end up being more versatile less bothered by the tech and more focused on the task.

I was having a similar conversation on Friday night after a conference. The Cynefin Model was used to illustrate how different people are comfortable in different spaces. All groups are good and a mix is good.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Stoner
    Free Member

Chrome Portable App FTW on nazi IT systems.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

The kind of organisations who send out their application forms on a PDF are the kind who won’t understand how you managed to fill it in with a word processor.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Chrome Portable App FTW on nazi IT systems

Our usb ports are restricted!

br
    Free Member

Hmm. As some one old enough to use PC’s pre-Windows I love how everything just works now. It use to the case that to get some programmes running you had to play around with the RAM (moving it high/low).

A few years ago I took over an IT Department that was implementing a new web service. On the ‘live’ day (pre-live as we’d not announced it, but it was ‘live’ on the net) I logged on before leaving home to view. It looked crap and wasn’t running right.

I rang the Senior Developer (it was about 5:30am) and after about 5 mins it transpired that no one had tested it with IE (which I use). Because all the team are ‘techies’ and used everything else…

“Yes, but our customers are just normal people, and they’ll be on IE!” says I.

Needless to say I reviewed and then changed the testing regime.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

More importantly the job interview should really include dome basic comprehension as the article is mostly not about work pc but your attitude.

olddog

Correlation does not imply causation

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I’m stuck on IE6 at work. This from a ‘world leading’ technology company 😕

zokes
    Free Member

I’m stuck on IE6 at work. This from a ‘world leading’ technology company

That’s quite cunning. It probably precludes you from seeing most of the internet these days! You might even get some work done 😆

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

We have a PC’s with windows 2000 still “running” and I use the term running very loosely. 15 mins to fire up of a morning.

PrinceJohn

What if you genuinely prefer IE, or Safari?!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve not read the link but it reminds me of feedback I had from an interview I once had with a local authority. I just missed out. Seems if I’d bothered to mention that I could use email and browse the internet instead of taking about 4 different cad packages in the IT section, I’d have got the job.

By the way. The job was advertised online and applications were email in!

properbikeco
    Free Member

Chrome Portable App FTW on nazi IT systems
    Our usb ports are restricted!

then just run it from a directory on your computer – it’ll still work

ebygomm
    Free Member

If downloads are not allowed and usb ports are restricted how do you suggest getting it on the computer.

samuri
    Free Member

so, as many large businesses are tightly controlled by their IT departments, at least as far as their machines are concerned, I’d say it’s a moot point.

The IT departments are told by the people who run the company that they need to reduce costs. Supporting a hundred completely bespoke and unique computer systems (because that’s what you’d have if you let people install the software of their choice) costs massively more than supporting a hundred identical computer systems. Anything that is harder to support costs more money so it’s generally excluded. Introducing new software costs more money even if it’s free so lets stick with the core software.

I agree that enlightened businesses allow BYOD (it’s certainly something I’ve been pushing for a long time at our place) but it’s very rare for an IT department to control the company. In reality the accountants control the IT people who do what they have to to stay in budget.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I think we’ve always had an unofficial BYOD policy at work, but when I recently tried to connect my new phone to Exchange, it warned me that it wanted the rights to delete all data off the phone, install it’s own password policy and disable any cameras.
    Err no.

Posted from Lynx.

samuri
    Free Member

That’s one approach. Obviously you’d have to be mad or very, very keen to bring your own device in to sign up to it.
    There are much better methods of doing things.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Blimey, it does still work!

samuri
    Free Member

It appears to be running on some crazy assed operating system though.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

That’s quite cunning. It probably precludes you from seeing most of the internet these days! You might even get some work done

Almost, but not quite 😛

zokes
    Free Member

I do hope Lynx has ads enabled, else there’ll be trouble… 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Yes, but our customers are just normal people, and they’ll be on IE

Presumably that was a long time ago – several years since IE had better than 50% market share

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers
    http://www.theie6countdown.com/
    http://www.theie7countdown.com/
    http://www.theie8countdown.com/
    http://www.theie9countdown.com/
    http://www.theie10countdown.com/

Not that I disagree with the underlying point, when I was testing web stuff I used both a web standards compliant browser and IE (though of course you have to use several different flavours of IE – there’s no guarantee that just because you’ve tested with IE9 it will work for your customers using IE6 and vice versa). Oh, and also served stuff from both Apache and IIS. The question in the subject is also a bit of a moot point for some jobs I’m applying for, as I’d be expected to be browser multilingual – though I don’t know of anybody who has worked with multiple browsers who chooses to use IE.

br
    Free Member

Presumably that was a long time ago – several years since IE had better than 50% market share

It was UK high street bricks+clicks in 06, so IE would probably be +80% – and if it doesn’t work for even 10% of your customers you’ve screwed up.

aracer
    Free Member

if it doesn’t work for even 10% of your customers you’ve screwed up.

Agreed – an awful lot of web development was screwed up back then as it only supported IE (6 👿 ) despite FF having already gone over 10% – and it even still happens now, with what is currently the world’s most popular browser not being supported on our local schools applications website <note to self, must chase up snotty e-mail about that> You must have had a testing team which were either really rubbish, or totally up themselves not to have tested with IE in 2006!

miketually
    Free Member

Our computers at work were recently upgraded from XP to Windows 7. The first thing almost every student did was download Chrome 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Do I need to put the internet browser I use on my CV?’ is closed to new replies.