• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by lunge.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Do I need to carry an Epi – pen with me? , probable knee jerk reaction.
  • singletrackmind

Went away to Greece last week with Neilsons . Was Ok in a sort of ‘loads to do in not alot of time’ kind of way.
    Went on a couple of solo road rides, and a few organised ones.
    Got stung on the forehead by something, probably a wasp on a 70km road ride. Was approx 30km out bound.

After 20 mins had a half boiled egg sized lump around area, didnt think much of it at the time. An hour or so later 5km into the return leg I was in the middle of a huge histamine reaction.

The soft tissue around my eye from my eyebrow to cheek , and out to my ear swelled up massively and I couldnt open my right eye. Left eye fine, breathing OK, HR OK and no pain.

Got some drugs froma pharmacy which had no imediate effect , so decided going at a fast pace all the way back was the best action. Dropped the guide and everyone else as I basically did a 20mile TT retuen ride.

I am allergic and do react in the UK, but normally 12 or so hours later , with a big red welt and itching. Never had such a bad reaction so quickly. Neilson made me go to the medical center and they prescribed antibiotics and a steroid cream for eye infections .

Calmed down after 48hrs and got in some windsurfing and some more rides, then smashed my driveline on my road bike on the last day . Both mechs , chain , spokes, and gouged the crank arm.

MoreCashThanDash

Not sure, but if you do, make sure everyone knows you have one and why – speaking as a work First Aider…. 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

Possibly a different wasp species…?

thecaptain
    Free Member

You can get tested for allergies, but it doesn’t sound like that serious a case to me. when I got stung by a hornet near my elbow my whole arm went up like a balloon from shoulder to fingers, couldn’t bend it much or hold things in my hand for a day or two. But this is still classified as a “local” reaction. I did get tested after that and apparently have a moderate sensitivity to wasp venom but nothing worth carrying an epipen for. The full-on life threatening systemic reaction is apparently a rather different kettle of fish.

scaredypants

After 20 mins had a half boiled egg sized lump around area, didnt think much of it at the time. An hour or so later 5km into the return leg I was in the middle of a huge histamine reaction.
    The soft tissue around my eye from my eyebrow to cheek , and out to my ear swelled up massively and I couldnt open my right eye. Left eye fine, breathing OK, HR OK and no pain.

I, my friends am NOT a doctor:

talk to your doctor & see what they think but TBH those symptoms don’t sound like a histamine reaction to me (breathing & HR OK, no dizziness or itching and theswelling “only” local to the sting ?)

ernie

I’m not a doctor either. But the wife is, unfortunately not the medical type. However, she is allergic to practically everything on planet Earth and has daily doses of steroids and anti histamines to control reactions day to day (and no, the steroids do not help me ride faster). She also carries epipens and more drugs plus medi alert bracelet, etc. Her reactions were only localized initially, however it all got nasty when she was on holiday and came down with a bug and was prescribed penicillin. She reacted with hives all over her body. Following that event, more reactions started to more foods/drugs and eventually we got to where we are today. I guess the lesson to learn is do not dismiss it. Go see your doctor and ask for testing. The next time you get stung the reaction could be a whole lot more serious.

dr_death
    Free Member

no

Drac

Sounds like mild swelling as opposed to an allergic reaction.

djambo
    Free Member

get tested.

I had a bad reaction a few years ago. stung on the lip riding home after a long busy day working and lots of riding. passed out a couple of times (into a ditch thankfully) then after a driver stopped to help I felt ok 10 mins later.

after my wife came out and got me home I felt fine then started getting itchy and came out in hives all over (about an hour after the sting). By the time she got me to hozzy I had the shakes big time and they epipen’d me. threw up a couple of times from the adrenaline then felt absolutely fine after 10 mins.

despite being stung when I was a kid with no big reaction I was diagnosed as being allergic. ended up on an immunisation program getting injections every 6-8 weeks for 2 years. it was a bit of a pain but now, by all accounts, i’m immune. I’ve been stung a couple of times this year with no issue apart from local swelling.

fantastic care/treatment from the nhs.

lunge

Get tested at an immunologist, they can prescribe the best cause of action.

I got recommended acrivastine capsules as a “more than normal tablets but less then an epi-pen” solution for my nut allergy. You can empty the power out of the capsule, drink it and get an almost immediate hit. That works for me, but really, talk to your doctor and/or immunologist.

hugo
    Free Member

My wife has a mega sensitive peanut allergy, and a few other less sensitive ones (dust, insect bites, etc).

Epi-pen for the peanut thing as the reaction to that is out of this world, and not what you’ve describe at all. Fully body hives and airways closing rapidly.

For the other things, having a few antihistamine tablets knocking around in your wallet/pocket would be a good start.

Can’t wait for this new peanut treatment to go through testing!

I’m not a doctor either.

mrmoofo

TBH, I have a similar / worse reaction to bee stings.
    I have never even considered needing a epic-pen.

I will deal with it when it happens not change my life.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Only if you’re going to skewer wasps with it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I think you would be better asking random people on the street rather than here personally 😆

chrissyboy
    Free Member

+1 for Hugo’s advice regarding the antihistamines in your wallet. Go the the chemist. Buy a packet of Piriton (or similar). Cut the foil packet down so you’ve got a couple of tablets safely wrapped up still – they’re only small. Stick some in your wallet and relax.

I have a peanut allergy and the symptoms are similar to the ones Hugo describes above, the difference with me is that they develop over an hour or so. I find that the only time it’s a real problem for me is when I don’t take an antihistamine immediately.

Epi pens go out of date. Chances are if you’ve never had a reaction like that before, yours will be out of date before you get a chance to use it.

(Obviously I’m not a Dr, worth checking with your own etc)

Edit

Stevet1 – Member
    Only if you’re going to skewer wasps with it.

Great advice – doesn’t matter if it’s out of date then!! 😉

TimP
    Free Member

Not sure about epi-pen, but I NEED an epic pen from mrmoofo – sounds awesome

Oh and pics so we can point and laugh at the Elephant man please?

On a more serious note, +1 for the antihistamine in the wallet

thecaptain
    Free Member

I dunno, the OP has been given the right answer…somewhere in the above 🙂

lunge

Higo’s advice is spot on, but as I mentioned above, get these antihistamines as they work alomost immediately if you put the powder in a drink rather than swallowing the capsule/tablet. The advise I had from the immunologist was to see this as a first defence, he also said I could put the powder in any drink “including vodka”. good to know!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Do I need to carry an Epi – pen with me? , probable knee jerk reaction.’ is closed to new replies.