Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Do I need to beef up tyre/wheel choice when using panniers? (Road Content)
  • suthy
    Free Member

I've got a Spesh Allez running 23×700 tyres. Upgraded to Easton EA50 wheels. I'm worried that the tyres need to be bigger and perhaps even the wheels stronger when using with panniers – planning a road trip next year. Rear pannier only.

Anyone got any experience?

Thanks

joemarshall
    Free Member

I've got a 24 spoke rear wheel and 23mm tyres, and I carry loads most days. It works fine. I had a bit of trouble when I first started carrying loads, as my wheel had a very bad loose wheelbuild (they are Bontrager wheels), but all I had to do was true the wheel and bring the tension up to a sensible level and then it was fine (the original wheelbuild was shockingly bad).

The only thing I'd be really sure about for touring is having a decent frame-fit pump (one of the long ones that clip into the frame, not some silly mini pump). As long as you keep the pressure nice and high, punctures shouldn't be a problem – mini pumps can never reliably get up to 100-110psi, whereas a good frame-fit pump will happily do that.

Having said that, I've toured before with 28mm tyres and they were perhaps a bit comfier, and something like a continental top touring or similar has probably more puncture protection than my 23mm tyres.

Joe

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

For a long distance tour over many weeks lugging big loads, maybe they wouldn't do. So long as they're true and in good nick before you start, they should be OK. 23cs are fine, comfort will be bad though.

Remember tents weight sig more wet than dry if you're doing calcs.

Heavily laden flex might be an issue, both in the wheel and in the frame.

I have used 36spoke 3 cross with 23mm slicks and 36 spoke 3 cross with 32mm inters. I'd only use the 23mm for going super super light myself.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Do I need to beef up tyre/wheel choice when using panniers? (Road Content)’ is closed to new replies.