Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Do I need the F\S
  • bitterlemon
    Free Member

I was lucky enough to pick up a second hand Ti Slackline a while back and ever since the Rune has been gathering dust. It’s a great bike and the lower maintenance is a bonus too.

So now I’m not certain if I can justify keeping the Rune for the few ‘rocky’ days in Wales and hopefully the yearly Alps trip.

Anyone else been in a similar position, sold a FS and perhaps regretted!

jam-bo

No. Ride my bandit all the time and the hardtail gathers dust in the shed.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

16 seconds on the slack line – even more impressed! 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rorschach
    Free Member

Just sold mine.I’ll buy another in a couple of years…then sell it after 6 months like this one.Then buy another in a couple of years (you get the pattern here).

chakaping
    Free Member

Take the FS on some appropriate tracks for an afternoon and then decide.

ricky1
    Free Member

Chakapink +1,take the f/s out and push the envelope.

chestrockwell

Both my main riding chums went back to HT from FS a few years back. One quickly realised he’d made a mistake and bought a FS as soon as he could afford it, the other is still HT only but is looking at getting a FS in the future. He is happy on HT though so in no rush.

I’m FS all the way. I was on my HT all winter while I fixed up the big bike and couldn’t wait to go back to FS.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Stick to the FS – you’ll thank me for it in twenty years time 😉

So speaks someone who did all the wrong things for his back during his twenties and thirties and is now suffering the consequences 🙁

chip
    Free Member

My hardtail is my preferred ride and fine for local rides. But due to old back injury any thing more leaves me in a lot of pain. So built an old five for the likes of swinley but spends most of its time gathering dust.

Wish I could get away with only one bike.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Depends where you ride I guess. I assume a slackline is a hardtail, fine for pootling around bridleways & swinley I expect. Give me a 160mm fs bike anyday, more fun.
    I expect its also an age thing also, I have no desire be be rattling around on a hardtail again in my 40’s.

EDIT yes I sold my hardtail. The maintenance thing is a non issue for me.

iainc

Age 49 here and recently bought an Anthem after getting rid of my 5 about three years ago, when I went to a Soul as my only MTB. I didn’t miss the FS much for natural techy stuff, which is majority of my riding. The FS does however add the grin on big days, trail centres etc and is definitely easier on the old bones. Love the HT as well though 😀

bitterlemon
    Free Member

Thanks.

TeamHurtmore, I slid all the way down 🙂

I’m going to have to think this one through. 41 yrs of age here and having used the slackline on Pitch in Surrey Hills where I ride the most I couldn’t figure out why I should keep the rune. Apart from the odd braking bump (which reminded me to correct my foot positioning) I didn’t miss the rear travel. I know I would in Wales and the Alps though and that’s the modern world problem.

I think Ti frames are a game changer and I guess I just want the one bike.

Cheers

breadcrumb

I got shot of my Pitch and just ride HTs now. Not as fast over really rough stuff but quicker on other stuff.

I find it more enjoyable having to pick a line than just letting in plough through. Set my fastest times round Whinlatter on the HT too.

wrecker
    Free Member

Whilst the Ht has done a sterling job, I’ll be complimenting to with a FS. Sometimes you just want to go as fast as possible and on the bigger stuff, that mean an FS for me. Mind you, I ride in South Wales and do uplifts quite often. Plus 417 will be opening soon which is just up the road.

benji
    Free Member

Just got rid of my anthem, once I got the fat bike it hadn’t had a look in.

timmys

I assume a slackline is a hardtail, fine for pootling around bridleways & swinley I expect.

Can’t tell if troll or idiot.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Do you need the cash from a sale or space in the garage? If not then I’d not sell. You’ll lose a load of cash on the sale (assuming you brought it new) and if you keep it you’ve always got the option of some FS fun when you feel like it.

chiefgrooveguru

If you have space I’d keep both – I really like being able to swap between my Spitfire and Soul. Plus it’s always worth having a second bike when the main bike is unexpectedly out of action.

deviant
    Free Member

I’ve barely used my Trance and fit firmly in the Hardtail fans category….but now I’ve built up the FS I wouldn’t be without it.
    When I sling it around in anger it’s so much faster over tech stuff than the HT and being able to plough through stuff is fun on full suspension when in the mood, they compliment each other and I’d only sell if I needed the space or money.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You’ve really got to be honest about the riding you do. Unless you’re the sort of rider who goes big in Swinley forest every weekend; a 160mm travel full susser is probably not your ideal bike.

A hardtail is just fine for riding anywhere, and good fun too; even in the Alps.

kerley
    Free Member

You’ve really got to be honest about the riding you do

Agree. I don’t even need front suspension for the rides I do (well it may be nice for 20% of the ride I suppose)

I personally would not have a FS bike sat in the garage to use once or twice a year but only you can decide if you want to.

zippykona

I can’t even ride a hard tail on the road all that undamped boinginess.

eshershore
    Free Member

Sold my fs (devinci Dixon sp)

Bought a 29’er hardtail

Never regretted my decision

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Do I need the F\S’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts