Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Do I need planning permission?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

I think what people are say is that the planning people may consider the bick wall the current front line of the house. You want bricks to be in front of this original line of bricks.

So while it is obvious you are technically correct that no part of your house is any closer to the road how confident are you that
    And as you can see from my picture, there is a ton of brickwork to the front of the house projecting way further too – a dirty great double garage!

But anyway, I have paid the £56.70 and I await with interest to see how this pans out.

martinhutch

I await with interest to see how this pans out.

Lots of comedy photoshopped pics of your house?

jam-bo

What makes you think your planning dept will take 6 months?
    Write a short email, wait a week, phone up to ask.

Mine took 5 weeks to even acknowledge the application.

pjm84
    Free Member

My 2p is that you do .

The projection is on the plane in question.

st

It seems like a sensible call to submit the paperwork.

A quick Google search flags up the attached from the Government planning portal

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/doorswindows/

The second bullet point refers to a Bay Window. As the current window is technically a Bow Window then double checking things makes sense.

It would probably be alright to crack in without but if a neighbour gets grumpy or a smart-arse future buyer spots a change then the time spent now will be time very well spent.

nick1962
    Free Member

Grass needs cutting and that window box is a disgrace.

johndoh
    Free Member

It’s the front and can’t be arsed . The back is a bleeding jungle.

stimpy
    Free Member

Even if they come back and say “do whatever, we just don’t care” I reckon £56.70 to get that result would be money well spent.

timba
    Free Member

There might be a covenant in the title deeds to prevent building in the front garden and planning permission won’t circumvent this. We weren’t allowed fences or hedges around the front garden, which many put in. That was okay until selling time…

slackalice
    Free Member

Did you mention the change in dimensions of the first floor window too? While you were there, paying your £56.70?

By all accounts, Stimpy here is about the only one you need to be listening to.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I think you’ve done the right thing as we’re currently buying a house that’s had some work done and life would be quicker and easier for all right now if there was some evidence that planning permission had been sought

konabunny
    Free Member

OK, I’ll do it
    You do not need planning permission, just go ahead and do it*
    *this advice is based on what it is presumed you want to hear, not the general consensus of the responses to your question. Therefore if it all goes tits up, many people will say ‘told you so’
    HTH!

and just for balance I’ll say: not only do you need planning permissions but also you will never receive it because of the EU

(I have no idea what I’m talking about)

morpho1
    Free Member

You need planning permission (despite it being wholly pointless in this case) as the part under the bay would project past the principal elevation. Whilst the garage is further forward, a house can have multiple principal/side/rear elevations if they are stepped like yours. Check the DCLG householder technical guidance for some basic drawings showing this.

andyl
    Free Member

You are likely to need planning permission if you are building anything which projects beyond the original primary elevation.

I’m with this, from what I have been reading lately anything to the front is best to check than assume. Porches are okay but any other kind of work to the sides and front needs to be checked first.

johndoh
    Free Member

Well just back from a family holiday to a letter telling me that I didn’t answer lots of questions they have (which weren’t outlined on the application form so I had no idea they would ask).

Just six years ago at my last house with a large extension it was so much easier. 🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Do I need planning permission?’ is closed to new replies.