Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Do i need chain device or not?
  • sig123
    Free Member

Hi just tried to put a triple chainset on a 2015 orange crush 650b but the outer ring catches the etype front mech. So decided as i dont use it i took the outer ring off. Right i get it all back on running double , get it all set up in the stand shifting nice, then as soon as i go out on the road the smaller ring seems to lift the chain up into the frame and gets stuck. Would a chain device help this. Thanks

rickon
    Free Member

If you took the outer ring off, and didn’t put a bash guard on – then your chainring bolts will be sticking out into the small ring.

You’ll need shorter bolts to run a double without a bash guard.

The other issue you will find is that your middle ring is ramped, so designed to help the chain move up to the big ring – without the big ring the chain will likely fall off.

The easiest option overall is to get a bashguard, and fit it.

sig123
    Free Member

Thanks see what your saying but i made up some shims to replace where the outer ring was . At the moment this happens as about 2mph and only in the granny ring. Ive had chain suck in the past on other bikes but not at such a low speed, could it be the granny ring as ive put new chain and cassette on but left the old granny ring on?

mjsmke

The other issue you will find is that your middle ring is ramped, so designed to help the chain move up to the big ring – without the big ring the chain will likely fall off.

Ramps on the middle ring are only to aid shifting from the granny to middle. Its the ramps on a big ring that help the chain shift up to the big ring.

rickon
    Free Member

could it be the granny ring as ive put new chain and cassette on but left the old granny ring on?

Could be. Do your teeth look hooked?

legend
    Free Member

the smaller ring seems to lift the chain up into the frame and gets stuck

That’s chain suck, nothing to do with a chain device unfortunately. Check for wear/damage on the ring first

Cougar

could it be the granny ring as ive put new chain and cassette on but left the old granny ring on?

New chain + worn out old chainring = chainsuck, n’est-ce pas?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Do i need chain device or not?’ is closed to new replies.