• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Do I need an Endura Stealth 2 jacket?
  • dawson

What are these like? – have seen one in the sale at reasonable price – but I have seen reviews that say you either get too hot or get a chill?

My current cycling coats are a Gore Phantom which is ace and an Endura thing which was only about £40 and is a bit ‘boil in the bag’.

I am looking for a waterproof of sorts but I think I am looking for 2 different things.
    My existing Endura will go in a backpack in case of rain, but it isn’t that waterproof. although it is light enough for spring/summer it wouldn’t last long in proper weather.

Is the Endura Stealth too warm and too much like my Gore phantom (albeit waterproof?)

Would a Keela Saxon fit the bill? (although the hood would be annoying on road rides)

I think I’m talking myself into need 2 coats for different tasks…

iainc

Stealth and Saxon are very different. I use the Saxon as a waterproof shell, it has no insulation but breathes OK. Over a base layer and jersey it’s good winter kit when it’s wet. The Stealth works well in wet or dry conditions, with a long sleeved base layer. It has big vents. I don’t wear it if air temp is above 5 deg. I have worn it on minus 10 snowy night rides, with a short and long base layer combo and found it warm enough. It doesn’t pair well with merino base layers as they get wet and I then get cold. With a decent synthetic base layer it is my go to piece of kit for cold winter rides, unless it’s really wet when I use Saxon or Madison Flux Superlight.

fin25
    Free Member

I’ve got a stealth, it doesn’t work so well with merino and I’ve found it wets out quicker than I’d like in heavyish rain. It is very good in sub zero situations though, as long as you get your layers right and the generous zipped vents give pretty good cooling options. I too would not wear it above about 5 degrees, it would probably be too warm.

richmtb

I’ve got a Stealth as well. It’s shower proof rather than properly waterproof. But it’s excellent windproof insulation for really cold rides but it’s a pretty specific bit of kit. It gets dug out 3 or 4 rides a year. The rest of the time is either too warm or too wet. Excellent it what it does but not every day riding gear

jambalaya
    Free Member

I looked a Stealth and Windchill and went Windchill. I don’t need a full on waterproof as I don’t really ride in those conditions and have a North Face jacket I can wear to keep dry if really needed, this would go in backpack as per your other Endura. The Windchill is perfect Autumn to Spring maybe with extra layers / gillet in winter. It is sort of waterproof, when it’s raining I tend to ride under tree cover or go out another time. Also the Windchill was 40% cheaper.

rOcKeTdOg

I found if i wore nothing under my stealth the heat of it was just about bearable at – degrees. Sold it cause it was never cold enough to wear

dawson

Thanks all, will have a re-think

LeeW

I’ve had a Stealth for several years, never boiled in it if I wear it in properly cold weather. I’ve always found it to be waterproof, though two pairs of tights made from the same material have failed miserably.

To be fair to Endura they gave me a refund on both pairs even though they were both out of warranty.

nickc

I found the stealth way too warm, sold it and bought a wind-chill which is a much more useable jacket

crazy-legs

Stealth has been my go-to jacket for years – mostly for commuting. Brilliant bit of kit but getting a bit worn out now so I got the Stealth 2 in the sale. Not worn that one yet.

Personally I found the Stealth really easy to adjust temperature. It’s got big vents and even an inch movement on the zip makes a noticeable difference.

Normally I use it over a LS merino baselayer; in really cold or wet weather I’ve worn another thin lycra top under the jacket too.

br
    Free Member

I’m on my second Stealth and had it for years, along with the tights.

If it’s cold and wet/snow there isn’t a better combo IMO. Mine is usually only used for winter rides, especially winter night rides. Usually wear it with a high-neck merino and the tights sit over my winter boot tops.

Unsure about folk saying they’re shower-proof, as mine is waterproof – although the first one lost it’s waterproofing after a few years of constant winter use when the shoulder seams came away (I think caused partially by Camelbak straps), but Endura replaced it FOC 🙂

iainc

re the Stealth vs. Windchill. I have both, and as in my earlier post, the Stealth only gets used if air temp under 5 degrees. I find the Windchill perfect for dryish rides in the 5-10 degree range with a single LS synthetic base layer.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Do I need an Endura Stealth 2 jacket?’ is closed to new replies.