Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Do I need a CRB check?
  • IanMunro
    Free Member

We have a bunch of kids (well 6th formers) in at work in the new year, normally they're supervised by their teachers, but they expressed interest in using one of the flight simulators which would mean being supervised by me. So do I need a CRB (or whatever it's currently called) before I sit next to the brat's?
    I'm sure work HR can give me an answer, but the forum will be quicker 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you are to be in control or supervsion of the brat's (sic), then it would be receommended that you have a CRB check, as the current climate is one of utter paranoia. Companies are therefore going a little overboard to reduce the potential for reputational damage more than anything else.

zaskar
    Free Member

Well it has to be assessed that whether the group is at risk.

If yes then yes!

Better push HR as it could take 3 weeks to 6 months for a CRB check!

wwaswas

ask the school what their policy is – they are the ones who'll be responsible for the kids whilst in your care.

having said that the 'fast track' CRB clearance isn't a big deal the school should be able to do it for you if they want to persue it.

midlifecrashes

From the ISA guidance:

What is a ‘regulated activity’?
    • Any activity of a specified nature that
    involves contact with children or vulnerable
    adults frequently, intensively and/or
    overnight. (Such activities include teaching,
    training, care, supervision, advice, treatment
    and transportation.)
    • Any activity allowing contact with children or
    vulnerable adults that is in a specified place
    frequently or intensively. (Such places include
    schools and care homes.)
    • Fostering and childcare.
    • Any activity that involves people in certain
    defined positions of responsibility. (Such
    positions include school governor, director ofFrom the ISA guidance.
    social services and trustee of certain charities.)
    ‘Regulated activity’ is when the activity is frequent
    (once a month or more) or ‘intensive’ (takes place
    on three or more days in a 30-day period).

Sounds like you are providing training as part of their school experience, so I'd be saying yes. If you were just around on site facilitating other things happening, then possibly not. Certainly right to be thinking about it.

Tango-Man
    Free Member

Even with a CRB check you cannot be left alone with them, there will need to be guardians in place, they cannot turn up and drop the kids off and leave you to look after them

BigDummy
    Free Member

You need a DNA test as well, to see how close you are genetically to a crab.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I've done stuff like this, where I'm running a session, but usually there is a teacher or other adult who is responsible for the kids hanging around. I've never had a CRB check. That was 15 or 16 year olds I think.

Never done it for more than half a day though, if what you are doing involves you being in sole charge of kids for several days, maybe things are different (but to be honest, even with sixth formers, you don't want to be in sole charge of them for long, you need a teacher or someone like that as crowd control / problem solver / generally a responsible and sensible person).

Joe

retro83
    Free Member

You need a DNA test as well, to see how close you are genetically to a crab.

😆

IanMunro
    Free Member

I think i'm ok on the crab front, I've looked at the science, and though there's no proof to speak of, it say's i'm definitely not crab, I'm bricking it if they're checking lobster though.

higgo
    Free Member

It wasn't a rock, it was a …

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Do I need a CRB check?’ is closed to new replies.