• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by gee.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Do I need a Cotic X?
  • headsup-spam
    Free Member

Applying for a new job. A bit pie in the sky, but have to be in it I guess!

Anyway, whilst the day dream lasts, the commute (just shy of 20 miles each way) would / could be 50% on / off road.

Never one to miss out on a new bike fantasy, would I need to get a cotic x?

Please post pics of yours to help keep the dream alive this afternoon!

woots787
    Free Member

I’m on my second x after the first was stolen. 10 mile commute, mix of gravel and tarmac. While the insurance company sorted the money out I borrowed a dawes galaxy which I found too slow and a cheap road bike which wasn’t comfy enough. It seems to hit that middle ground really well and despite the insurance company wanting to use their supplier I pushed hard so I could get the Cotic again.

On phone so can’t be bothered to post a pic, standard build but road tyres, sks mudguards and a altura aero seat bag.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Take a look at the Genesis Vapour as an option too

honourablegeorge

New job?

Sounds liek you deserve it. Well done.

Digger90
    Free Member

I quite liked the ride of my Cotic X, but found it a quirky bike… it’s not really a CX bike at all even though it’s marketed as one, but for your intended use is possibly ideal.

The annoying quirks (to me) were:

– very poor bottle cage locations(2 on the down tube). Cotic’s rationale doesn’t stack up on this one… there’s just nothing at all wrong with one on the DT and one on the ST. Cotic have created possibly the worst compromise ever, as when you do run 2 bottles on the X they are both in awkward positions… Duh!

– Neither fish nor fowl in the braking dept. You either run discs or cantis. Cotic’s canti bosses are a fugly, Heath-Robinson affair that is unnecessary, heavy and detracts from the visual appeal of what is an otherwise lovely looking frame. If running discs you want a clean, uncluttered look yet you’re left with fugly bolts or blanks covering the unused brake boss mount holes. Double duh!

– 135mm OLN spacing. Required for disc rear hubs but rules out 100% (?) of road hubs… you can use a road rear wheel by squeezing the rear dropouts 5mm in when you wind up the QR skewer. IME and in practise this is a PITA and again just detracts from the quality and experience of what is otherwise a lovely looking frame.

– Slack steering. My Cotic X was noticeably slack in the steering dept vs. lots of other CX bikes I tested, rode or owned back-to-back: Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ridley, Specialized Crux etc…

As I said, for towpaths, hooning around, commuting etc the X is a great bike – but as it currently is configured it’s just not up to it as a CX bike. I sold mine, replacing it with a Spesh Crux. Shame, as I still love the small diameter steel-tubed CX frame look, I liked the overall ride feel (barring the slack steering), and the quality of the frame construction/welding was great.

What I’d love to see from Cotic is an X made from better quality steel, with revised geometry, canti-only or disc-only (not both), and bottle cages on DT and ST. I’d buy one, as I think lots of others would.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Digger I appreciate your comments but I still NEED A COTIC X to go with my Simple and Soul

When you say “Slack steering” do you mean slow or not precise?

After 9 years it is time to retire my Kaff

saladdodger
    Free Member

Digger I appreciate your comments but I still NEED A COTIC X to go with my Simple and Soul

When you say “Slack steering” do you mean slow or not precise?

After 9 years it is time to retire my Kaff

doh repeating myself 😳

Digger90
    Free Member

Slow steering. The Cotic X has a slacker (by 1 degree) HA than a lot of other CX frames.. which doesn’t sound much I know, but when riding it is very noticeable.

Jumping between an ‘X’, Stigmata and Crux with 2 mates on several rides was an amazingly insightful experience that just point blank exposes the differences between the frames.

Merak

I too had X and sold it for a Crux.

After an initial honeymoon period I would echo Digger’s comments, the clearance at the fork is very poor. I couldn’t fit my finger between the tyre and crown, useless in a cross race.

Lovely frame though, just some ill advised design issues.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Ah but ref the forks issue I will be using a set of Project 2’s so that is one issue cured

As for the slow steering issue is it a problem on the road ( I find race bikes too quick steering for my liking )

Digger90
    Free Member

It’s not a problem at all as when pootling along on the bike you don’t really notice it of course.

It’s only when you swap to another bike you go “Holy Sh1t the steering’s much nicer on this”…

Some comparisons:

Frame HT Angle (degrees)

Cotic X 71

Singular Kite 72

Planet X Uncle John 72

Santa Cruz Stigmata 72

Planet X Kaffenback 73

rOcKeTdOg

Cotic X the perfect cafe ride by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

Haven’t noticed any steering probs, rides nice. Comfy too

saladdodger
    Free Member

RD me likey a lot

Comfort is a big issue for me

gee
    Free Member

Salsa Vaya? I commute on mine and ride it on Mtb trails too. Great bike!

GB

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Do I need a Cotic X?’ is closed to new replies.