Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Do I need a coil shock?
  • pedalhead
    Free Member

Most of the time I'm quite happy with the RP23 on my Blur LT carbon, it feels as good as an air shock ever has in my experience. But, on bigger hits I find that it blows through it's travel & bottoms out too quickly. Upping pressure upsets small & medium bump performance, which I don't want to compromise on. I don't have tons of experience with coil shocks…would fitting one fix this problem, while still retaining good pedalling characteristics? Cheers.

retro83
    Free Member

is it a large volume RP23?

if so, do this:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=503070

worked an absolute treat for me.

The other thing you can do is send the shock to TF or Mojo who can adjust the damping

pedalhead
    Free Member

yes I think it is, that looks interesting thanks

fivespot
    Free Member

Intersting 8)

retro83
    Free Member

I think the Blur LT has a falling rate at the end of the stroke like my RC405, so it'd probably work well for you as well.

I used a strip of plastic cut from the container that CD-Rs come in (mine's 135x25x1.1 IIRC)

I found that I could drop my pressure 10 PSI and still not bottom out where I was feeling it clunk before.

Rickos
    Free Member

A coil won't help. Coils are linear in their nature, air shocks have a natural progression as the air pressure builds through the shock stroke. Sounds like a lower volume air shock would help if yours is a large volume one. Odd though as VPP is designed to be progressive later on in its stroke to resist bottoming unlike a DW link that goes to a falling rate.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Do I need a coil shock?’ is closed to new replies.