Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Do I need a bright rear light for night riding?
  • tacopowell
    Free Member
    scotroutes

More than enough

Get something reflective on your pedals/feet/ankles too though as nothing quite says “bike ahead” like a pair of feet going up and down!

tacopowell
    Free Member

Would this do?

nuke

I just bought a similar looking ‘phat’ light from on-one…only £3.99

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Turn it off when you’re on trails at night with mates behind you… incredibly annoying having your retinas burned out on a night ride!

mrvear
    Free Member

Or you could get one from your local bike shop.

project
    Free Member

Turn it off when you’re on trails at night with mates behind you… incredibly annoying having your retinas burned out on a night ride!

If your riding off road, just turn it round to face front,it wont dazzle tyour mates and will be visible if you fall of and they need to find you, as when ever ive fallen of the front lights always seem to jetison themselves off .

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have never used a rear light off road. What is the point? On road I am lit up like a Christmas tree.

townydc
    Free Member

I use the smart lunar as above and yes I get complaints if I leave mine on off road, great light though, it has an all singing and dancing mode that’s just mental.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Or you could get one from your local bike shop.

I hear you there, Will do on this occasion. 😉

Northwind

That’s a great light, I use a couple for my commute… But they do have a wee bit of a rep for bad waterproofing. Not an issue i’ve had but might not be ideal for a light primarily for a mountain bike.

And yeah, obviously only needed if your night rides have road parts.

bails

I use the R2 too. Just put a smidge of grease or vaseline on the rubber seal between the two halves before you use it, I’ve always done this with Smart lights and never had a problem with them.

mrvear
    Free Member

R2 is a great light. I also use a light called a flare on my backpack for road sections.

mlke
    Free Member

I use one on my commuter and have been v happy with it. No water proofing problems with a seat stay mount

iain1775
    Free Member

Mines been fine, didnt pay that though think it was about £15 in LBS sale

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have had two go t1ts up on me…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Do I need a bright rear light for night riding?’ is closed to new replies.