Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Do I need 2 lights?
  • ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

As title, is there a real need? I have a Cree t6 which I got from mtb batteries. Awesome light. I then bought a q5 torch thing off torchy battery boy, but the kids pulled it apart.

Looking at lights again, but do I really need two lights. If I put my Cree on my lid it’s lighting up where I’m looking which is surely all I need.

Thoughts?

RealMan
    Free Member

I’ve done years of night riding with just a helmet light (exposure joystick). Even ridden at night in the Alps with it and it was still brilliant.

Northwind

Well. Need, no- you don’t need much light at all. But the T6 is spotlighty. If you’re happy with chasing the dot, then it’ll be fine.

simondbarnes

I hate helmet lights. Have only ever used one on the bars.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I find lighting from two different angles highlights the terrain a little better, also the difference between flood and spot. But not necassary, and is all personal preference at the end of the day, borrow one, try it, see if it works for you.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Yeah might do that. Don’t really want to spend £89 on v2 XML from mtb batteries if I don’t need, unless I can get a good deal!

d45yth
    Free Member

If had had to have one, it would be on the helmet…the light is always where you’re looking then and having it high up makes the shadows shorter too.

breadcrumb

I prefer helmet mounted only. I find bar mounted on technical sections means the light just swoops from side to side.

monogramman
    Free Member

Have you got a back up?

You will wish you had 2 lights if your only light fails whilst riding.

joat

I’ve found it hard to go back to one just on the bars. My eyes seem to be able to shift quicker than my head, so a helmet light for looking where my wheel isn’t pointing and a bar mounted one for infront of the bike where your eyes (subconciously maybe) see what you’re about to ride into/over. So try it, but beware you might not be able to go back. I use Lezyne Superdrive on the bars and Minidrive on the helmet FWIW, which are fine on familiar trails.

br
    Free Member

I use two, a Joystick on my helmet and a bigger/better one on the bars – seems to highlight ruts better as there is a shadow.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Hmm like the idea of a backup light. May have to speak to smudge, although there is a new light on the way. I know I can get pretty much the same light for half the price off of the bay but just don’t trust it when they are coming from china.

trout
    Free Member

Backup light very welcome if your one fails

also helmet light better for fixing the bike / puncture / hunting for that lost trail than a bar light

But one of each is good

Mantastic
    Free Member

Trout any spider eyes left?

trout
    Free Member

Mantastic Yes a few with more housings being machined in September

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Spider eyes?

Not lights by any chance?

trout
    Free Member

Spider eyes?

Not lights by any chance?

yes Spidereyes the evolution of

pedlad

Lights?

Spiders eyes= more like having a small nuclear reaction on your head.

shortcut

Pretty sure I read on here that all you need is a couple P7 torches.

Personally I use a pair of Four4th lights one on the bars and another on the helmet.

Edric64
    Free Member

I use a helmet mounted light only as I dont like bar mount lights off road either a light and motion stella 120 or an urban 180 do me fine.I them plenty bright enough

Del

flood on the bar and spot on the lid FTW. flood for speed, helmet light for twisty stuff, and the two together give proper shadows, so you can see relief in the ground ( ie bumps )
    anyone who tells you different is a cocknocker who should be ignored as they plainly know nothing.
    😉
    HTH.

is a cocknocker

What’s a cocknocker?

Taff
    Free Member

I have 2, a DX light and an ultrafire on my lid. I’m going to be ordering another DX light for my lid as its a better battery wise and I can get them from the uk on eBay for the same price in 2 days

dantsw13

Need 2 – No
    Want a backup in case of failure – hell yes!! Been there – scared me witless!!

The only issue I’ve had with helmet mounted is in dust or fog, when the head light scatters off the particles just in front of your eyes – very off putting.

stuey
    Free Member

Trouty – did anything come of the “half spider” – or was the full spider just as low weight / economical ?

GW
    Free Member

simondbarnes – Member

I hate helmet lights. Have only ever used one on the bars. Aye, it’s awful actually being able to see where you’re going (rather than where your bars are pointed)
    oh.. and how do you know you hate them if you’ve never used one? ^^ :/

I’ve used a single P7 on my head for years now (and before that a HID)
    only (non)problem with headmount only is beam flashgback from thick fog/rain.

flood for speed,

Eh? WTF? etc.

grtdkad

I’ve got one of Troute’s Liberators on my bars and use an old Double Shot Pro on the helmet which has a half reasonable spot beam. 

I think I’ll be asking Santa for a Troute Spider Eyes this year, I test rode the prototype last year.  Awesome. 
    #meltingmoths 

trout
    Free Member

Stuey. the half spider was very good lighter and with a similar beam but when I asked
    which one folks Prefered 9out of 10cats said the full on spider. so I shelved the half.

Pedlad. I take it you approve of old spidy now you have had a few nights with it

mrmo
    Free Member

Used both head and bar, if i was to loose one it would be the head. A lot of the riding i do ends up in clouds and fog where head lamps are a complete waste of time. As for the shadow thing i find the lack of shadow from head lamps unhelpful.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Trout how much do these spider eyes cost? Saw the thread on mtbr and they look good!

pedlad

Trout – first ride in anger with the spider tonight (cue lots of oohs and ahhs from the group as I put their big name lights to shame) but it seems fantastic messing around in the garden last night.

PaulD
    Free Member

Get one of these for the bars (or helmet)….incredible output at a crazy price.
    Mine took approx 10 days to arrive.
    The orange rubber sleeve can be removed for a round clamp.
    Zoom is a slider….much better than the earlier screw.
    I also bought a clamp that uses 2 velcro fasteners with a rubber core for £2.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/new-317-cree-q3-3-mode-270lm-white-led-zoom-convex-lens-flashlight-w-strap-3-x-aaa-114657#open full view

PaulD

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Do I need 2 lights?’ is closed to new replies.