Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Do I have to use Fork Juice or will any lube spray do?
  • Legoman
    Free Member

I often see guys spraying their fork stantions before rides – I know you can buy Fork Juice for this, but will any spray lube (GT85?) do, or is there something magical about Fork Juice?

Cheers.

thepurist

Can’t say I’ve ever bothered myself but IIRC Fork Juice is just a silicone spray, which you can get in all sorts of non bike places for less cash.

michaelonabicycle
    Free Member

As said, its a silicone spray. Maplin etc should do a cheaper, but less nice smelling (this is very important!), version!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jairaj

Any silicone based lube will do. I use my chain oil.

Northwind

Fork Juice is just silicon spray- thicker than most though (it’s a relabelled glazing product IIRC)

Fork oil does the job too, or chain lube… I’d stay away from anything really solventy like gt85, wd40 etc, never really know how it’ll mix with seals etc.

mjsmke

I put a few drops of chain lube on mine, then compress the forks a few times and wipe off the (then dirty) oil.

Toasty

I use Fenwicks stuff, sure it’s nothing magic but it does the trick. Can’t be bothered chancing knackering loads of forks.

http://www.fenwicks.info/bike/index.php/bike-lubes/suspension-lube-spray

Used to use a different brand, can’t quite recall what it was called. It came in a stupid little bottle that was totally impossible to squeeze onto stanchions. Truely was a wonder of modern design.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sceptical about this. The outer seals should have grease under them – spraying with thin lube would end up stripping this.

I reckon it’s best used as a stop-gap to put servicing off for a bit longer.

bigbadbob
    Free Member

I lightly spray my forks with GT85 and then give them a light wipe off. Been doing this with my 1998 Boxxers and they are still working fine, so may not be too bad for them.

chiefgrooveguru

Generic silicone spray works very well!

DrP

If you want nice smelling stuff, get the Juicy Lubes Frame Juice…..
    Lurvely…..!

Also, the Fork Juice, though pricey, does make the forks nicer, and it’s satisfying to know you’re clearing all the gunk from the seals with it too..
    Plus, the spray means I can get it onto my rear shock shaft, which is a real pain if trying with oils… (meta 5)

DrP

plyphon
    Free Member

I use a fenwicks silicon spray lube and it works great, noticeable difference in the stiction departments and for keeping dirt and dust out from under your seals, thus prolonging the seal and stantion life.

However, I do mine AFTER a ride.

1st spray to soak into the dirt caught in the seal lip. Leave it 30 seconds and compress fork, it brings all the dirt back up with it on rebound.

2nd spray again after the clean to act as lube, leave over night/until you next ride. Stiction be gone!

Not sure it would provide much use before a ride, would be lots of liquid residue left for grime to stick too.

z1ppy

IIRC fork juice ppl have been on before to say it not just any old silicon lube.., tbf it might be a better lube than normal silicon spray, but it’s yet to convince me it worth double the price of the halford stuff. Admittedly a can of the stuff last so long, it might be worth buying it anyways.

Link to the fork juice post I mentioned

molgrips
    Free Member

I have not noticed any difference on my forks, btw, or shocks.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Always used GT85, never had a problem.

foxyrider
    Free Member

If you have fork oil for servicing then just use that – tiz whats inside?

Painey
    Free Member

Friend of mine used to work as a mechanic for Sram and said you should never put GT85 on your forks, shocks or reverbs. He said fork juice was about as good as you could get so considering a can lasts me several months I’m happy to use it.

daver27
    Free Member

i’ve used fork juice and it is very very good. makes a noticeable difference.

i have friends who have bought “cheap” silicon spray from maplin etc and it seems to stay wet and attract loads of crap onto the stanchions. Fork juice doesn’t do this.

mine lasted me a VERY VERY VERY long time. just make sure you cover your disc/pad before spraying it on….

micky
    Free Member

I’ve always used silicone spray. Motor factor/shops sell it cheap enough in big cans. As I understand it is kinder to seals than GT85 being pretty much inert. I think thats why it is used in food safe lubes. I would not use fork juice in this case, only because like cycle specific brake rotor cleaners, it’s a bit over priced. Im sure it’s a great product and does what it says on the tin but i’d feel i was getting ripped off. Us cyclists do seem to get ripped off sometimes, from fork oil to grease to everything else.

wl
    Free Member

+1 for Fenwicks. Great stuff, lasts ages, and reasonably cheap too.

Flaperon

I just use a bit of Fox Float fluid (the heavy blue stuff) and wipe it away afterwards.

chvck
    Free Member

I swear I read something by the fork juice guys saying that it is just a silicon spray but it has more silicon than most others (10%?, can’t remember). I use it.

ell_tell
    Free Member

I use this as its what I have on the shelf. Plus I use it on car door seals in the winter to try and prevent them from freezing.

Edit: sorry, smaller pic

chvck
    Free Member

Oh, and don’t accidentally spray your saddle. That makes it quite difficult to stay sat on.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Do I have to use Fork Juice or will any lube spray do?’ is closed to new replies.