Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Do I have to toss my brand new wheel in the trash? Boost compatibility question.
  • oldnpastit

Okay, so I’ve been living under a rock for the last few years. Can anyone help me out?

Yesterday I tried out an Orange Four, and found out that bikes can be very different from my trusty Singular Swift.

But….it looks like whereas in the old days I could have upgraded the frame (albeit to a 29er version of that Orange), there’s now some new standard for rear hubs, Boost 148, which means that the rear wheel I bought just a month ago (Hope Tech 4) is going to have to go in the bin.

Is that really the case? Does anyone out there make a bike that takes a 29″ 142mm wheel, and rides anything like that Orange (which really was quite eye opening) ?

What kind of consumerist madness has taken hold of the world?

chestrockwell

Get a 2016 mk1 Segment? Still some about.

oldnpastit

Hmmm, just noticed that the Cotic droplink Flare might work. Maybe we’re not doomed as a society after all. Need to get a demo.

Leku
    Free Member

Adaptors are available

http://www.lindarets.com/boostinator/

mrhoppy

Flare is 650b, flaremax is 29 and boost.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The Flare Max (assume you’re talking 29″) is boost too. You can get spacer kits for your wheel though. There was a thread on this a couple of days ago. Though you’ll need a boosted crank!

rickon
    Free Member

Hope 4s can be converted to boost. Either with the hope adapters, from you local bike shop, direct from hope, or just a spacer you make yourself.

mrhoppy

Though you’ll need a boosted crank!

no you won’t.

wiggles
    Free Member

So you are worried that your 29″ wheel won’t fit a 650b bike because it isn’t boost? :/

oldnpastit

So you are worried that your 29″ wheel won’t fit a 650b bike because it isn’t boost? :/

The Orange Segment (which I didn’t try) is a 29er, but it takes a boost hub. So I’d need new wheels which would be annoying given how recently I bought the ones I have.

But if there’s an adapter then that would be nice.

willv

I could only find an adaptor in the uk for a front pro4 not the rear. Needed it asap so bit the bullet on a new hub and rebuild

tandemonium
    Free Member

Using the Linderets Boostinator here. A doddle to fit, used on Hope Pro 2 hub. Does require a re-dish of the wheel though, I was lucky and spoke length accommodated the 3mm off set.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Why wouldn’t you need a boost crank with a boostinator? The boostinator spaces out the rear hub only on the disc side – you need to re-dish the wheel to centralise the rim, so you’re moving the cassette over by 3mm or so, therefore to restore chainlink you’ll need to boost your crank too. If you’re bothered about maintaining an equal chainline, it might run fine without.

charliemort

You could look at Pyga . Original oneten isn’t boost. New stage and stage max aren’t boost either but wheel would need to be redished due to their +5 thing which I’m not going to try to explain but you can see it all on their website!

chrishc777
    Free Member

Unless you have a stupid press fit BB and direct mount chainring you can move your chainline with spacers, no need for boost cranks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Do I have to toss my brand new wheel in the trash? Boost compatibility question.’ is closed to new replies.