• This topic has 38 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hora.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Do I have to accept that F/S bikes creak :-(
  • oldfart

New Bottom Bracket ,Wheels ( no connection I know ) good clean up of all usual suspect areas , no creaking when pushing the suspension up and down , just seem to be when pedalling slowly ??? I know it’s a bit vague but it’s doing my head in ! Perhaps it’s the long dry spell making everything dry and creaky ?m 🙄

oldfart

Bike is just 10 months old btw any ideas friends ?

jam-bo

Mine did this recently. Was convinced it was BB.

Lower shock bush was on its way out. Bit of lube on and nice and quiet again.

Until it started knocking 100km later. Just put a new bush in.

breadcrumb

Try greasing the pedal axle threads.

Other than that it’s time for a hardtail..

oldfart

Did wonder about lubing pivots/ bushes but thought they were all packed with grease and sealed ?Will it hurt to run some oil into them ? When you cycle the suspension up and down no creaking just when you push down on the pedals ? Surely the bushes or bearings shouldn’t be worn out already ?

oldfart

Jambo just noticed 100 km? I can live with that !

woody2000

Mine’s just had all the pivot bearings replaced, new shock bushes and a new bb. Still creaking. I’m trying a different rear wheel next! Mine seems to do it under load, pedalling up hill mainly

adsh
    Free Member

Try QR closure, greasing the 12×142 threads if that, cleaning the drop outs and axle stubs with a toothbrush, clean and retorque the front mech band, pedals, give the cable stops a wiggle and a squirt of WD40 or invest in headphones.

oldfart

woody 2000 don’t hold your breath ! Mine still creaks even after new Hope Hoops ! Mine does it the same time as yours pedalling hard uphill . The other thing is internal cables could they be the culprit ?

raincloud
    Free Member

I had a similar thing. Turned after changing bottom bracket, checking pedals etc etc it was my saddle creaking where it mounted to the reverb. Removed, cleaned, little bit of grease and hey presto no creak.

Might be worth checking if you are running a dropper post.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Headset ? I was convinced it was suspension on mine but was this

Is the seat post quick release?

Shackleton

Perhaps it’s the long dry spell making everything dry and creaky

I was feeling for you until I read this. Frankly I’d swap the “summer” we have had in Dundee for a bike full of creaks any day of the week! I’ll worry about creaks once I’ve stopped it going rusty.

Grumbling aside favorite creak areas on my bikes are saddle rails, pedal axles and seatpost collar. I don’t get any noise from the suspension pivots.

oldfart

raincloud stripped seatpost and clamp today all cleaned and regreased a quick spin up the road and I think it’s still doing it :-(. Shackleton when I said dry and dusty I was being ironic 🙁

squoglybob
    Free Member

Handlebars are a favourite of mine, any cack that gets behind the clamping face makes a noise on my bike, also take out the bolts clean in the threads with cotton ear buds clean the threads on the boots and the bolt holes on the clamp and re assemble with a tad of grease on the bolt threads.

Wipe the bars where they clamp and the stem clamping face and clamping plate before re assembly, I usually spray with GT85 and it cleans the anodised renthals quite well.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

One thing that long term FS ownership teaches you is to grease the living shit out of anything you take apart and service, even if it’s possible to run it dry, grease it anyway.

I’ve still not been able to find a decent solution to cable ferrule creak yet.

Speeder

If it’s anything like mine, it’s your seat. It’s the plastic creaking on the rails. Not sure there’s a solution.

bigrich

Seat post?

taxi25
    Free Member

Had a creak on my carbon road bike an couldn’t sort it 🙁 Someone on here said they had the same thing caused by a slightly loose rear mech hanger !! Mine was the same, easiest fix ever.

Mikkel
    Free Member

When mine did this it turned out to be a tiny little crack in frame.
    Got new bike under warranty and now its the way the sound of the shock compressing being amplified in the top tube that drives me crazy instead but cant really hear that when on a bumpy trail.

weeksy

amazingly, my FS is silent… my HT though I have a pedal/crank/drivetrain/BB/something clicking I can’t get rid of. Intermittent one…weird… and VERY irritating !

oldfart

You lot crack me up 🙂
    😆 Tried all of the above not confident report back later .

traildog
    Free Member

Bike is just 10 months old

Just(?) 10 months is quite old for a mountain bike. If I got play in the bushes of a 10 month old bike I wouldn’t be surprised.

However, I wouldn’t say you should expect a FS bike to creak, and I’ve had a very annoying creak from a road bike which sound like it was the BB but turned out to be the stem/handlebar. Creaks on any bikes can be difficult to trace.

amedias
    Free Member

A couple of weekends ago I spent 12hrs riding round Bontrager 24/12 with the creakiest bike I’ve ever had, it was driving me nuts until I turned it into a game of trying to identify the individual noises and what they were, and then making them happen on command with specific weight shifts or putting pedal strokes in at the right point. So you know, you could do that, I’m not saying it’s the solution but it’s ‘a’ solution.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Chain ring bolts?

Does it do it only whilst pedalling, not when coasting and bouncing up and down stood on the pedals or sat on the saddle? If so, probably drive train related, nothing to do with the suspension.

pinetree
    Free Member

Sure it’s not just your bones, Oldfart? 😆 😉

matt07
    Free Member

Have you checked the rear mech? Is it Sram?
    My XO1 rear mech started creaking after about a yr. Try gently wiggling the cage from side to side and see if it makes a noise? Would explain why you only get the noise when peddling and not upon rear compression. Solved mine by giving it a good clean and drench in chain lube, especially around moving parts where it pivots and around the clutch seal. Think there are threads on this particular problem and it may be the clutch mechanism which can be stripped down with care but its pretty fiddly.

mjsmke

Mines only 7 months and back in the shop for the 4th time to locate and fix a click. Narrowed it down a bit. While standing next to the bike and holding the rear wheel (so not using the brakes or bars), then press hard on the pedal it clicks. This happens on both crank arms. Just fit a new bb and still there. Tried different pedals too.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

I usually find the creaking goes away once a new bike is purchased 😉

No help whatsoever if you have a mrs

gonzy
    Free Member

if you wear SPD’s then check the cleats. my commuter had a very annoying creaking/clicking noise for a while. i did a full strip down, clean, regrease and then put it all back together for the noise to still be there. then i checked my shoes to find a loose cleat!!

kristoff
    Free Member

My bronson remains silent providing I keep on top of greasing pivot axles and stick to my regular maintenance.

toppers3933
    Free Member

if it only does it while seated then try spraying lube into where the saddle rails meet the saddle shell. had this on a few recently and after trying pretty much everything else this sorted it.

oldfart

Thanks for all the tips folks , last night I took seat off post and gave it all a good clean and regreased . Followed other tips on here Quantocks ride today 21 miler silence is golden 🙂 Long way it continue 😀

onlysteel
    Free Member

Gave up trying to eliminate creak and took to lbs. Turned out it was the axle/non-drive side crank interface which had started moving. Excuse for new cranks – sorted.

hora
    Free Member

None of my bikes creaked. What are you guys doing?!

I NEVER wash the bike- only the chain/cassette and stanchions.

ichi
    Free Member

As above, I’ve found overly aggressive washing and over/under tightening to be the biggest causes of creaks. I only clean the drivetrain after every couple of rides and everything else gets cleaned with a damp cloth every 2 to 5 rides depending on conditions.

The bike gets stripped down every 2-3 months and I grease everything as it goes back on.

Bregante

. What are you guys doing?!

Riding them and actually keeping them for more than 5 minutes. 😉

squoglybob
    Free Member

Not washing a bike for months? Your kidding right?

Sheep Shit, Cow Shit, Dog Shit….. Mud, muck, pine needles, gritstone…..
    I put mine inside my van Van as I’m not fortunate enough to be able to ride to Wales, Scotland, Peaks, Alps and having a filthy stinking bike in the van for months on end would definitely be a health hazard for me plus bad health for the bike.

Leaving mud all over the swing arm pivot linkages or covering up the shock bushings with gloop is that seriously considered as preventative maintenance.

jamj1974

Riding them and actually keeping them for more than 5 minutes.

He shoots! He scores!

Don’t leave your goal open Hora!

hora
    Free Member

Arse biscuit 8)

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Do I have to accept that F/S bikes creak :-(’ is closed to new replies.