• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Do I have the Kryptonite skeleton key…..
  • DrP

I didn’t think much of it when the 2 replacement locks Kryptonite sent me (as part of the replacement programme years ago) could BOTH be opened by the keys of just one of the locks…
    However, in the bike shed at work today I saw a similar (but mini version) of my lock and thought “why not…”. You can imagine by the tread title as to what happened!

So, swallow the key and forever lose the mystical power, or have a bit of bike shed mischief…?

(I won’t really be a naughty boy – I’ve already let kryptonite know, as of course someone else may have similar special powers, rendering my lock like putty….)

Odd eh!

DrP

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I almost lost a bike cos of a Kryptonite lock. Many other people did lose their bikes. 🙁

I will never buy another Kryptonite lock again.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Indeed – I would never have one – too many faults over the years

DrP

Interesting….
    Might have to ditch the locks then!

DrP

spooky_b329

I got one under the lock replacement programme too…will have to try it sometime!

Could be another class action lawsuit perhaps!

TooTall
    Free Member

Old round keys or more modern straight grooved keys?

MrKmkII
    Free Member

well of course those old round key ones were easy to hack into and open. i hope this doesn’t refer to the new keys!

trail_rat
    Free Member

even with the right key all three of my(new style lock) new yorkers are a fooking nightmare to open …….

the wrong key wont even turn in them now !

scaredypants

Full set here:

MrTall
    Free Member

“I will never buy another Kryptonite lock again.”

+1

I was disgusted over how poor their locks were and how they handled the situation. After spending around £200 at the time on what i thought were quality locks i vowed i’d never give them another penny.

Having said that, i’ve stuck various pens into my round keyholes and have never managed to open either one, but i still only use them as backup locks at home along with other better locks.

morgs
    Free Member

trail_rat…..DrP may disagree 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have on more than one occasion needed the power of pukey to open my kryptonite (that is a brick to the mortels 😉 )

z1ppy

THB I disagree with this whole Kyptonite gave a poor service, as all the “round key” type locks were (are) affected, I’ve only ever heard of Kryptonite replacing theirs for everyone.

They replaced all 3 of my locks, one that was 10 years old (and looked it), and have replaced the replacement lock again, when I had issues.
    I can’t fault their service.

CaptJon
    Free Member

What’s wrong with them?

soma_rich
    Free Member

In my bike shed at work 2 other bikes have my Kyptonite lock so will try tonight!

DrP

It’s the new style key!
    I can post you my key if you lose yours….!

To be fair, it doesn’t open some other K locks in the shed either, but 3 from one key ain’t bad!

DrP

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Do I have the Kryptonite skeleton key…..’ is closed to new replies.