Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Do I have a problem with bending Saddle rails – Do I need a layback
  • Janesy
    Free Member

I’ve just bent my Phenom saddle with cromo rails. So Have purchased a Toupe which after my first ride yesterday im over the moon with it.

However A friend of mine has said that the seat post clamp is probably bending the rails as my seat is as far back is it will go.
    The reach to the bars is not an issue but to have a correct pedal stroke I would like the saddle back, say anoother 3-5mm back. Shall I get a Thomson layback or easton post? With a better clamp I might add.
    My bike is a 456 but I race XC on it and im around 75KG.

wwaswas

I’d say the problem is the seat clamp design – get soemthing that cradles the rails over more of their length.

That frm design puts all of your weight onto the bits of rail that rest on the tips of that bronze coloured bit.

If you get somethign with a more compact head then you coudl stick with an inline post too.

Janesy
    Free Member

Any good recommendations for seatpost. must be 31.6 and 400mm in length.

wwaswas

thomson are good but will be heavier than that FRM one and the Easton ones I’ve had have been good too – carbon will be light.

main thing is to look for something that ‘cups’ the rails.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ive got a Syntace P6 Alu I’d sell. Its a 27.2 though (but probably the best seat post available). Its inline but offers a bit of layback aswell.

Janesy
    Free Member

yeah, I need a 31.6…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You can buy shims…

tinsy
    Free Member

When you say correct pedal stroke, how are you determining that?

rwc03
    Free Member

Ritchey are worth considering, their layback version looks better than the Thomson kink design in my opinion. Clamps are well designed also.

schmiken

I bought a carbon cradle from carboncycles.cc – see this post:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=98133

jameso

P6 clamp is about as good as it gets, I’m a saddle-bender and have had no issues with a P6. Brilliant post design imo.

enfht
    Free Member

I kept bending my saddle rails until I changed to solid ti rails, no problems since.

Janesy
    Free Member

schmiken – where can I get one of those cradles?

schmiken

Send an email to the guys at carboncycles.cc explaining what it is you’re after. Cost me £8.49 delivered I think.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Do I have a problem with bending Saddle rails – Do I need a layback’ is closed to new replies.